INLAND EMPIRE, beautiful AND makes sense 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
INLAND EMPIRE, because I can't make sense of it 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Don't know! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Jan 2008, 6:08 pm

I saw INLAND EMPIRE, by David Lynch, two nights ago. So far am disappointed.

I think Mulholland Drive is a masterpiece. Perfection, apart from perhaps a few minutes de trop in middle.
But Inland E seems to be a "miss". Something doesn't quite gel. It remains a ramble. There was a moment when i thought, "aahh, after losing it rather he's pulling it together", .. but it was a false alarm.

While watching wondered whether might be meant to be an exploration of a womans experience of abortion. The other woman found , the screwdriver in the belly, the " my son died " etc. But the ending didn't quite match/fit.
So, does anyone else have any ideas, thoughts, reactions?

Is it any good? Is there maybe something I'm missing, an angle ?

Mulholland i didn't "understand" until a few days after, but still thought was magnificent without any need for an over arching plot line/explanation.

Inland had me reasonably gripped till when they're in bed together and he keeps calling her Sue, and she keeps saying, " No, I'm Kitty". But then stuff gets rather lengthy and what seemed dull to me, until towards the end again.
So, would love to hear what others thought/think of it.

8)

Last edited by ouinon on 15 Jan 2008, 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 6:54 pm

I'm not quite sure what it was about, but it was brilliant. Very scary. It took me 3 days to watch the whole thing.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Jan 2008, 7:06 pm

AspE wrote:
I'm not quite sure what it was about, but it was brilliant. Very scary. It took me 3 days to watch the whole thing.
Golly, maybe i watched it too fast then; i watched it in one sitting of 3 hours. I agree that there were some very scary moments, very tense in that wonderul Lynchian way, of hovering catastrophic discoveries etc, of terrible surprises, but i missed the hang-together of Mulholland Drive.
There were some beautiful scenes too, but nothing that "got" me as utterly as so many did in MP.

8)

Last edited by ouinon on 14 Jan 2008, 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

brfandan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2008, 10:36 pm

all these david lynch movies have been sitting on my computer for months now, and for the past two weeks ive had nothing to do at all, but ive had the flu for a good week and its made me too depressed to watch any of them. so far ive only seen earserhead, the elephant man, and blue velvet, and only bits and pieces of mulholland.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Jan 2008, 6:24 am

Has anyone watched INLAND EMPIRE and have the feeling they understand it? Would like to hear from you! :)

:?:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 12:35 pm

Muholland Drive wins HANDS DOWN!