Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 7:58 pm

Does anyone remember these cult movies or want to mention one you remember yourself. (By cult movie i mean one that didnt make lots of money or at least isnt talked about much these days) Im thinking of a few films that i watched as a kid and am wondering if anyone else seen them

- The End Game, like a cheaper version of Mad Max but the aim was to defeat all the other factions and win the gold. Some very bizzare deaths and people on this one

- The Pit, (at least i think that was what it was called) it was about a boy that found a pit full of hairy trolls and would befriend people only to shove them down the pit before the trolls broke free and caused havoc. The boy befriends a girl and settles down to a normal life in the end only to be flung down the troll pit by his girlfriend. I think there is a moral in there somewhere.

- SantaClaus conquers the Martians, Santa Claus brings Christmas to mars and encouters some bad guys that resist this good deed.

-Soldier Blue, this one is a survival movie and shows that girls would go with you if you were the last man on earth.

-The Trap, another survival movie starring Oliver Reed as a fur trapper that buys his mute wife in an auction. This has wolfs and wilderness. A hugely underpublicised film.

DinoGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2005, 8:36 pm

I've actually never seen those before, but I'm definitely going to go out and rent The Pit and santa Claus Conquers the Martians :lol: :wink: :mrgreen: My favorite cult movie (which I think is a rather well-known cult movie) is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (based on the book by Gonzo journalist, Hunter S. Thompson). But if yr. watching it for the first time, I would suggest using subtitles, because it will just sound like fast, rambling mumbling :lol: You'll get all the jokes by the third time you see it. I've seen it countless times already, but it gets funnier every time! :lol: :wink: :jester:

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 8:43 pm

Yes i have seen that film just twice though one of the times i was a little tipsy but i found the plot a bit weird. Maybe i should give it another try.

mellow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2005, 8:49 pm

Eamonn,
Good topic. :)
One film I would consider a cult film would be a movie called Flirting With Disaster. It stars Ben Stiller, Mary Tyler Moore, Patricia Arquette, and many more. It's about Ben Stiller's character looking for his real parents and hilarity ensues!! ! Flirting With Disaster is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen!! !
Mellow

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 8:54 pm

Ben Stiller is one of my favourite comedy actors. Thought he was good in Dodgeball. I think he has Bipolar actually.

DinoGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2005, 9:00 pm

Hehe, you got a point there. He was also pretty funny in this other cult film called "Keeping the Faith" directed and starring Ed Norton. Stiller plays a rabbi and Norton's a priest, and one day, their old friend from the 8th grade comes to town and they both end up falling in love w/ her. Norton's really good in it too. I also liked him in "Fight Club" and "Red Dragon".

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 9:23 pm

eamonn, what you describe sounds more like B movies, though a lot of them become cult movies.

I love Fear and Loathing. The book was great too.

Donnie Darko is one that didn't recieve much attention because it came out around the time of 9/11. It's the kind of movie that requires a couple viewings.

How about Brazil ?

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 9:28 pm

Yes they probably were B-movies though im sure there is more than just me obsessed by them so that makes it a cult. I have heard of Brazil i think. Whats it about again?

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 9:32 pm

Santa claus conquers the martains= AWFUL. TERRIBLE. But yeah i saw it.

stlf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 9:39 pm

Tromeo and Julliet
If you haven't seen it...go and rent it NOW!! !

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 9:40 pm

Take that back Serissa. "Do you give in? Do you give in? DO YOU GIVE IN" You give the martians a bad name but i forgive you and to make up i will give you a food pill and touch heads with you, as is custom here on mars.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 10:14 pm

I'm not sure if this qualifies because its pretty recent: "Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter"

Forget B-movies, this is a C-movie! :lol: :lol: :lol:

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 10:29 pm

Brazil was a very surreal dystopian future flic, though quite humorous.
Directed by Terry Gilliam, I think. Robert DeNiro plays a vigilante heating and air technician. But the plot concerns this guy who works in some sort of government office, trying to do the right thing, and find his true love in a beurocratic nightmare of a society. There was one funny scene I remember where the freeway is shown with continuous billboards.

ElfMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 3:00 am

My favourite Cult movie is Harold and Maude. Second favourite is The God's Must Be Crazy.

Looks like I have some catching up on movies to do.

Elfman's daily 'poor me' message, brought to you by "It's All About Me" free to air frequency.
Thankyou for you subscription!

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 7:38 am

Dead Alive by Peter Jackson was a classic, probably the funniest horror iv'e seen. One of his more famous cult movies is Bad Taste, id be interested to see that.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 8:00 am

I have bad taste and braindead (dead alive) on vid, theyre awesome! Better than LOTR anyway. All his movies are great.