Wonderland – The Madness Of Dancing Daniel?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 6:12 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/progin ... wonderland

Anyone see this BBC program? I only saw the last 10 minutes of it :(

"Daniel is eccentric, funny, charming, has a compulsion to dance (which began when he first heard a Madonna track in 1985), an obsession with hygiene and London, and is diagnosed as having a "personality disorder"."

Or does he have Asperger's?

Here is a Youtube clip of the program (only viewable in the UK).

http://www.bbchttp://www.youtube.com/wa ... ature=user

Its repeated again on BBC 1 on February 12th - 2:35am (sign zone)

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 6:27 pm

I saw the whole program.
He quite clearly has a severe personality disorder not AS

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 6:52 pm

Well, I 'm looking forward to seeing the full program. It was mentioned at the end of the program that his mother was a drug addict and his "personality disorder" was caused by severe deprivation and abuse. So, yes, I can accept he has some form of PD.

However, that said, there seems to be a tendency in the UK to diagnosed people with "Personalty Disorder". A diagnosis of "PD" does not mean anything, its like saying a person is from Europe - there are lots of PDs e.g. avoidant, borderline, schizoid, schizotypal, paranoid, obsessive compulsive, narcissistic PD etc. So which one is it and which one is it not?

In particular, it was proposed by the Blair government a couple of years ago, that people with severe PDs should sectioned.... what?! Does this mean someone with severe avoidant or social phobia PD gets locked up with someone with a psychopathic/narcissistic PDs? This is why I'm annoyed by just diagnosing people with "PD" and not explaining further.

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 8:30 pm

watching this now....

he's a total aspie 100% :lol:

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 9:12 pm

Well, like I said, I only saw the last 10 minutes, but the brief cameo I saw made me think he could be a (Gay?) Aspie ... e.g.

Obsessions (London, Madonna, Dancing, Red Ties)
Socially isolated
Co-morbid OCD (cleanliness)
Awkward clumsy posture
Unusual voice
Stubborn
Lack of empathy
Immature/childlike

Also, I personally know a leading psychiatrist who says that Adults with AS typically exhibit one or several different Personality Disorders = that some PDs are just various expressions of innate neurological (developmental) disabilities. He said that the section on PDs in the DSM-IV should be abandoned, as it misdiagnoses Aspies with PDs.

Chris Gillberg (there is a thread elsewhere on WP about this) also said that Aspies often meet diagnostic criteria for various PDs, and that diagnosing an Aspie with one or several PDs is pointless as it does not help.

Well ... I need to see the whole of the program to be sure if he was an Aspie.

P.S. I just realised that he became obsessed with Madonna and dancing at the age of 6/7 years old, clearly he was odd as a child and this rules out a PD, a PD only becomes apparent in late adolescence/young adulthood when personalty develops (according to the literature on the subject). That is why children are not diagnosed with PDs.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 8:24 am

Last weeks program about "The man who eats Badgers" was facenating and also included a large number of eccentric persons who live on Bodmin Moor.

Some of them were clearly aspie.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 6:42 am

I wondered if he had a large mixture of conditions. Unfortunately, here in the YooKay we don't have decent doctors. They regularly diagnose personality disorder if they can't be bothered to investigate further. I should know, they did that to me.

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 12:44 pm

Jellybean wrote:
I wondered if he had a large mixture of conditions. Unfortunately, here in the YooKay we don't have decent doctors. They regularly diagnose personality disorder if they can't be bothered to investigate further. I should know, they did that to me.

yes thats what happened to me too :(