Page 2 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2005, 5:28 am

No of course thats not it. the guy is just a slob. all AS girls obviously are like NT girls, and spend just as much time in the bathroom putting on makeup. The whole grooming issue is just something the doctors decided to put in to the diagnostic criteria with all of the other secondary symptoms. and i mean what would it matter anyway?

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2005, 12:52 am

berta wrote:
No of course thats not it. the guy is just a slob. all AS girls obviously are like NT girls, and spend just as much time in the bathroom putting on makeup.

Hm. Your gernalization here is rather ... general. I beg to differ. I have read many posts by aspie girls who detest makeup because of their sensitive skin, won't shave their armpits, and won't shower but once or twice a week, nor will they wash their hair at all, because their scalp is sensitive.

berta wrote:
and i mean what would it matter anyway?

I'm assuming you mean, what would it matter if Peter Jackson were AS? Well, in the big scheme of things, nothing, really. (As opposed to most of the other topics on this website, which are of earth-shaking significance.)

But it would mean something to me personally. I have been blocked from many of my attempted vocations in my short life by my AS. There are many, many things that I wouldn't have even tried had I known at the time I was AS. The failures have been sharp and painful.

Now, I've been making movies for several years, and things are starting to go well. It is very comforting for me to know that there are more than just one or two directors who have done well in spite of--or maybe because of--their unique neruology.

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2005, 9:47 am

uhm yeah, u kinda misunderstood me. i dunno how to explain myself very well.. wonder why.. i mean of course most AS girls are just as clean as NT girls. thats my point kinda. it wud be kool if some more directors actors and singers came out of their shell

DinoGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2005, 5:37 pm

AlecZander wrote:
3. TIM BURTON (Never diagnosed that I know of, but has many, many indicators)

Being a Burton fan myself, I think that's definitely a no-brainer. Helena Bonham Carter (current gf) starred in a TV movie about a woman who raised four autistic kids (coming 2006) even said he has a lot of Aspie traits...

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2005, 12:10 am

berta wrote:
uhm yeah, u kinda misunderstood me. i dunno how to explain myself very well.. wonder why.. i mean of course most AS girls are just as clean as NT girls. thats my point kinda. it wud be kool if some more directors actors and singers came out of their shell

I see what you're saying now. Thanks for explaining.

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2005, 12:12 am

DinoGirl wrote:
Being a Burton fan myself, I think that's definitely a no-brainer. Helena Bonham Carter (current gf) starred in a TV movie about a woman who raised four autistic kids (coming 2006) even said he has a lot of Aspie traits...

Interesting! Where did she mention that, do you remember? I'd love to get a look at the article if I can.

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2005, 10:52 pm

I just checked out Dan Aykroyd's IMDB profile. Sure enough: they have him listed as an aspie there. Hm. Cool.

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe

Seanybaby
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Dec 2005, 7:08 pm

GroovyDruid wrote:
Quote:
I strongly suspect David Lynch has AS, his films and himself are weird, You got to see him in interviews.

I hadn't thought of him. Yeah, that would make sense. I've never seen him in interviews...

Quote:
Steven Spielberg doesn't seem very Autistic to me (only my opinion).

Well, his IMdB profile says he's diagnosed. Ed Burns says that he will literally lecture for hours on set if you ask him a question about filmmaking. He fixated on filmmaking very young and did pratically nothing else from then on out. He is obviously very intelligent, but his grades were so bad that he couldn't get into USC or UCLA film school (to their never-ending chagrin...). He's supposed to be very shy about anything but moviemaking, and he learned to talk late, if I'm not mistaken...

Maybe what you're seeing is the Spielberg who is in his element. We only see him on TV or on DVDs when he's talking about the one thing he knows better than almost anybody on the planet: movies. So he comes across as very confident and glib.

He lives about two miles away. If I ever chance to see the man strolling down the street, I'll ask him: "Hey, Stevie! Aspie, yes or no?" :wink:

Steve might give you a look and say it's none of your business. You really shouldn't ask out loud if anyone as AS. Besides he may be too busy with his next movie.

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2005, 12:42 am

Seanybaby wrote:
Steve might give you a look and say it's none of your business. You really shouldn't ask out loud if anyone as AS.

Just curious: why do you think one should not ask someone out loud if they have AS? I don't mind when people ask me.

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe

Seanybaby
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Dec 2005, 6:38 pm

GroovyDruid wrote:
Seanybaby wrote:
Steve might give you a look and say it's none of your business. You really shouldn't ask out loud if anyone as AS.

Just curious: why do you think one should not ask someone out loud if they have AS? I don't mind when people ask me.

*looks at face with metaphor of asking himself*

Good question. I personally think it's rude and should not be asked in public, given a lot of celebs don't like to be asked about their background. But Steve on the other hand could be different. This was just an assumption I made after all, but maybe Steve could probably be interested and tell anyone if he has AS. :)

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2005, 7:00 pm

Seanybaby wrote:
Good question. I personally think it's rude and should not be asked in public, given a lot of celebs don't like to be asked about their background. But Steve on the other hand could be different. This was just an assumption I made after all, but maybe Steve could probably be interested and tell anyone if he has AS. :)

This is very interesting, actually that you said what you did. I just wrote a "Dear Aspie..." column that might explain why you wouldn't like people you don't know asking you questions. Go read it and tell me if you agree with what I said. I'd love to have your input! Here it is:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8594

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe

BigGayAndy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2005, 11:21 pm

>>I believe Keanu Reeves has been diagnosed.
He is interesting to watch on talk shows as well.
Doesn't like to give much information about his personal life.<<

There's another reason for Keanu's reticence to discuss his personal life: HE'S GAY and publicly in the closet.

Big Gay Andy

BigGayAndy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2005, 11:31 pm

>>Well, a percentage of Aspies don't like doing much grooming because of sensitivity to combs, soaps, scrubbing, or getting their hair cut, shaving, etc. (I have a hard time with shaving). It can be an indicator that someone has autistic traits. That's all.<<

Another problem is that having poor social skills, this often includes having no sense of how to dress presentably and no apparent sense of how you look.

Big Gay Andy

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2005, 3:43 pm

BigGayAndy wrote:
There's another reason for Keanu's reticence to discuss his personal life: HE'S GAY and publicly in the closet.

You know, I believe it. You never hear about him dating women.

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2005, 12:47 am

GroovyDruid wrote:
BigGayAndy wrote:

You know, I believe it. You never hear about him dating women.

I once had a friend in college whose sister dated Keanu. So I do know he has dated women. But I've also heard many rumors he's been one of David Geffen's many boytoys, so hey. I don't think Keanu's an Aspie, but gay or bi, sure. Whatever. I rather don't care. I just wish he wasn't the lead in the film version of A Scanner Darkly.

I hate to keep this debate going, but I personally am not convinced Spielberg's AS. I think he's narcissistic. That doesn't exclude there's something neurofreaky about him, but my gut feeling that cos he's rich and famous that he "bought" this dx for "clinical proof" he's a genius. I can't prove he's not, of course, but I just don't trust L.A. doctors, if you know what I mean.

I suspect Steve Martin's AS - very high functioning, though. Go watch The Jerk and tell me he doesn't strike you as a tad Aspieish.

A director I think is AS is Terrence Malick. Malick is legendary for his brilliant intellect, obsessiveness and eccentricity. He also oblivious to his public image, and didn't even bother to show up to the Oscars when his film was nominated for 7 awards (including best director) Makes sense to me - what Aspie would be comfortable with all the pomp and nonsense of the Oscars, espeically when you knew they were going to give the award to Spielberg anyways??? LOL.

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2005, 1:49 am

Cade wrote:
I hate to keep this debate going, but I personally am not convinced Spielberg's AS. I think he's narcissistic. That doesn't exclude there's something neurofreaky about him, but my gut feeling that cos he's rich and famous that he "bought" this dx for "clinical proof" he's a genius. I can't prove he's not, of course, but I just don't trust L.A. doctors, if you know what I mean.

I've been doing some asking around The Town, and I'm not convinced Spielberg is AS either, now. I can't find any reliable source that says he's DXed. The evidence everyone sites is that he "displayed certain autistic characteristics when growing up", which, as far as I can find out, means only that he didn't talk as early as most kids, then became obsessed with movies.

So I don't think he bought any DX, because if he had, I think he'd have published it far and wide that he was AS. As it stands, he hasn't said a darned thing, and that's pretty strange if you paid to prove you're a genius, right?

So ... oh well... Till more info comes along, he'll have to go back to being an NT with lots of money... :wink:

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe