Page 3 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2005, 1:49 am

Cade wrote:
I hate to keep this debate going, but I personally am not convinced Spielberg's AS. I think he's narcissistic. That doesn't exclude there's something neurofreaky about him, but my gut feeling that cos he's rich and famous that he "bought" this dx for "clinical proof" he's a genius. I can't prove he's not, of course, but I just don't trust L.A. doctors, if you know what I mean.

I've been doing some asking around The Town, and I'm not convinced Spielberg is AS either, now. I can't find any reliable source that says he's DXed. The evidence everyone sites is that he "displayed certain autistic characteristics when growing up", which, as far as I can find out, means only that he didn't talk as early as most kids, then became obsessed with movies.

So I don't think he bought any DX, because if he had, I think he'd have published it far and wide that he was AS. As it stands, he hasn't said a darned thing, and that's pretty strange if you paid to prove you're a genius, right?

So ... oh well... Till more info comes along, he'll have to go back to being an NT with lots of money... :wink:

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2005, 5:13 am

I am diagnosed ~ does that mean I am also a genius?

I think that of the directors discussed here only Kubrick's AS is apparent in his work. His movies are generally about themes rather than people and are full of interesting visual and auditory patterns.

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Dec 2005, 5:00 pm

maybe they all are. its a perfect job/career/profession for an aspiie, thats for sure. typical movie buff/geeeks are kinda aspie-ish. and the one un-dxed aspie i knew in town is also obsessed with movies, as am i. maybe we have some kinda vision or something, coz if all the kool directors have it then....

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2005, 1:09 am

Asparval wrote:
I am diagnosed ~ does that mean I am also a genius?

Yes, always. In your own universe. :D

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2005, 1:16 am

berta wrote:
maybe they all are. its a perfect job/career/profession for an aspiie, thats for sure. typical movie buff/geeeks are kinda aspie-ish.

I wonder about that. I'm not sure. There are certain things that make directing less than a perfect aspie career. I can talk, cuz I've directed a few short films, written some scripts, and acted in some others.

Directors have to deal with a lot of people. Much of your job is convincing certain people to put enormous amounts of money and labor into your vision. Aspies aren't often very good at coming off as confident and together, whatever the truth may be.

Another thing--and this drives me nuts--is that the movie biz has a lot of bullsh*t in it. A LOT. You have to shmooze and small talk all the time. You have to make and work connections. It's a big power game, and one that I think most aspies would find repulsive.

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2005, 1:16 am

well im just saying, that it would be alot better than being an actor! now THAT would be challenging, at least for me. so if an aspie was into movies, a director would be the best, coz the others gets bossed around alot. from what i know. and the other aspie i met was really into being a filmmaker so... thats why i think so.

pad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2005, 5:31 pm

John Gulager

Alfred Hitchcock- the legendary horror director is said to have had Asperger

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jan 2006, 2:55 pm

berta wrote:
No of course thats not it. the guy is just a slob. all AS girls obviously are like NT girls, and spend just as much time in the bathroom putting on makeup. The whole grooming issue is just something the doctors decided to put in to the diagnostic criteria with all of the other secondary symptoms. and i mean what would it matter anyway?

Back in 1968 I threw away the pancake makeup, brush rollers, and high heels with great relief. I wear a touch of dark red lipstick when I think of it, wear my hair in a blow-dry bob, and the only product that usually touches my face is soap and water. Handmade soap with a southwestern flavor these days.

"All generalizations are false including this one."

muddlinthrough
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2006, 9:29 pm

[quote="Cade"[/quote]

A director I think is AS is Terrence Malick. Malick is legendary for his brilliant intellect, obsessiveness and eccentricity. He also oblivious to his public image, and didn't even bother to show up to the Oscars when his film was nominated for 7 awards (including best director) Makes sense to me - what Aspie would be comfortable with all the pomp and nonsense of the Oscars, espeically when you knew they were going to give the award to Spielberg anyways??? LOL.[/quote]

On Malick: I just saw The New World, and loved it, despite the lack of historical authenticity.
Not only is Malick obsesive about detail, and too reclusive to do PR, he takes years between projects, he is
fascinated by nature,and one word critics use alot for his stuff is dreamlike.

JediofRohan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2006, 3:15 pm

George Lucas, maybe? I mean, could Brad Pitt write a modern myth? I don't think so! (Maybe John Lasseter too!)

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2006, 2:51 am

JediofRohan wrote:
George Lucas, maybe? I mean, could Brad Pitt write a modern myth? I don't think so! (Maybe John Lasseter too!)

Boy, I've wondered about Lucas, too. I've seen clips of him, and he comes across as an aspie. Quiet, reserved, not a lot of expression... Hard to tell.

Who's John Lasseter, again?

And no, I don't think Brad Pitt could write his own name if he didn't see it printed in the tabloids each week. (Uncharitable, I know. But I'm through being bombarded with the gritty little details of his divorce and hook-up with ... what's her name ... Jolie. Angelina Jolie.)

quietangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2006, 3:35 pm

I caught "Grizzly Man" on the Discovery Channel last night. It really made me wonder if Timothy Treadwell had AS. His obsession with the bears actually ended up killing him. They also described him as wanting to be away from society etc.
Any thoughts?

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2006, 12:13 pm

I think Christopher Walken has some traits :

-his staring
-his pauses in sentences (just feels natural according to him)
-his obsession with Elvis and John Holmes
-OCD (cleanliness etc)
-few friends

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2006, 3:59 pm

I have an idea for a screenplay that i have been thinking of for a while. Keep in mind that it is incomplete.

In a small New england town, there is a pieaceful cemetary. One day the corpeses wake up and eat the townspeople. they move from village to village eat everyone in site. then one day they decide they need a little culture so they go to new york and put on a production of Annie Get your Gun, then they eat the audience. I am a little fuzzy in the middle but there going to do al sorts of crazy stuff.
at the end the zombies run for the presidentsy and get elected.
I would like some imput as to other stuff the zombies could do. rthanx

alex
Developer
Developer

11 May 2006, 4:32 pm

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
I have an idea for a screenplay that i have been thinking of for a while. Keep in mind that it is incomplete.

In a small New england town, there is a pieaceful cemetary. One day the corpeses wake up and eat the townspeople. they move from village to village eat everyone in site. then one day they decide they need a little culture so they go to new york and put on a production of Annie Get your Gun, then they eat the audience. I am a little fuzzy in the middle but there going to do al sorts of crazy stuff.
at the end the zombies run for the presidentsy and get elected.
I would like some imput as to other stuff the zombies could do. rthanx

That sounds kind of freaky but interesting.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2006, 6:14 pm

Did I already mention Werner Herzog? gotta be AS.