Page 2 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 6:59 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I think I liked the first better than this one. Not to say it was decent but I'm not sure it really survived all the hype.

On another note though, Christian Bale's Batman voice drove me up a wall. Was kinda hoping that with the way they were playing the movie and playing Joker out as well that they would have done a lot more on hammering in the casualties - like with the bank, shot everyone, maybe had that canister that would have enlarged in his mouth and ripped his jaw off (ie. what I thought he was doing with the cable in the door)....Keith Ledger never even put a smile on anyone :(. Not that I'm a big blood and gore type, just that when its an epic battle of good and evil - playing the violence of the bad guy too lightly seems to steal some of the emotional thunder and the movies that really push the emotional edges (Training Day, Running Scared, either of the Rob Zombie movies, No Country) - movies like that I actually remember; which is part of what I really liked about Batman Begins, they played on the malice and atmosphere the way they should have in this one.

Then again I know it's based on a comic book, just a shame when they have to put that many constraints on an idea and water the action and feel of it down that much.

I HATE HIS BATMAN VOICE!! !

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 7:45 pm

I live in Gotham City lol.
I recognized way to many scenes in that movie.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Jul 2008, 8:31 pm

MartyMoose wrote:

That's right, it was all filmed in Chicago wasn't it?

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 8:35 pm

Fidget wrote:
MartyMoose wrote:

That's right, it was all filmed in Chicago wasn't it?

yea i had a hard time finding Gotham city to not be Chicago it was so recognizable even places I hadn't been with all the L tracks and the archatecture.

Le_Samourai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2008, 8:39 pm

MartyMoose wrote:

To me it sounded like Bale was trying to sound like Nathan Explosion from Metalocalypse.

Flipmode
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jul 2008, 8:42 pm

Excellent Movie! :o

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 8:54 pm

I cant wait till this film comes out in the uk :D

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 9:26 pm

Le_Samourai wrote:
MartyMoose wrote:

To me it sounded like Bale was trying to sound like Nathan Explosion from Metalocalypse.

I think my one buddy hit it spot on when he warned me that Christian Bale sounded like he was trying to do a Napoleon Dynamite impression (a REALLY constipated Napoleon Dynamite I'd add).

MsTriste wrote:
1. Is it worth seeing if it's so depressing?

Aside from Christian Bale's voicework its really not depressing. Yes, it has a dark feel to it but when I think of depressing - I think of movies like Million Dollar Baby (movies that I like but, there's a definite reason rather than just ambiance).

Something funny I just realized though, with certain main characters who left the story (trying to communicate this one to people who've seen it without spoiling it for those who haven't) - when they did get dispatched, I was just like "Oh, ok, they're dead" - didn't really feel it or much connection to them and really didn't care. Its almost like they didn't do a lot to make you feel for the characters.

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2008, 12:06 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Why so serious? Why so serious? Uh, where was I again? Oh, why so serious?

Quartermass, I admire the fact that you got to the avatar first. And perfect shot.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 2:25 pm

One guy said he got dizzy just watching it.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 3:25 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Le_Samourai wrote:
MartyMoose wrote:

I think my one buddy hit it spot on when he warned me that Christian Bale sounded like he was trying to do a Napoleon Dynamite impression (a REALLY constipated Napoleon Dynamite I'd add).

Yeah, the Batman voice is kind of silly, but didn't we all get over this already? The first movie was years ago...

I was impressed with the movie. It seemed pretty 'by the numbers' at first, but damn if the Joker didn't turn out to be an amazing villain.

And unlike the rest of the world, I don't have any clue who Heath Ledger is so I really mean that.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 4:22 pm

twoshots wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Le_Samourai wrote:
MartyMoose wrote:

Yeah, the Batman voice is kind of silly, but didn't we all get over this already? The first movie was years ago...

Nah, I'm very specifically talking about Christian Bale's way of doing it. Also it just got worse as the movie progressed, probably hit its absolute bottom during the last hostage scene.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Jul 2008, 5:53 pm

Well, I saw the movie and I too was quite impressed at Heath's performance. I think he played the role just enough without going overboard and overplaying it and making it seem silly. It's one of those roles that if overplayed even a little it can ruin it. I think that Heath's performance was right where the Joker's should be: showing that he's freaking insane while not looking so over the top it seems silly. I would say it's certainly Oscar worthy.

twoshots wrote:
And unlike the rest of the world, I don't have any clue who Heath Ledger is so I really mean that.

Heath Ledger is an Australian actor who suddenly died shortly after Dark Knight was announced. He was famous for playing a homosexual cowboy in Brokeback Mountain. With that, along with his role in The Dark Knight, he seemed to be at the start of a very succesful career in front of him, which made his sudden death even more, well sudden I suppose...

One thing I noticed was that Jake Gylenhall who plays as Heath's boyfriend Jack Twist in Brokeback Mountain is the brother of Maggie Gylenhall who plays as Rachel in The Dark Knight, also with Heath. Speaking of which does anyone know why Katie Holmes didn't reprise her role?

Le_Samourai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2008, 6:14 pm

Fidget wrote:
...One thing I noticed was that Jake Gylenhall who plays as Heath's boyfriend Jack Twist in Brokeback Mountain is the brother of Maggie Gylenhall who plays as Rachel in The Dark Knight, also with Heath. Speaking of which does anyone know why Katie Holmes didn't reprise her role?

From what I've read, she turned down the role. I don't remember the reasoning behind her decline.

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 9:07 pm

Fidget wrote:
One thing I noticed was that Jake Gylenhall who plays as Heath's boyfriend Jack Twist in Brokeback Mountain is the brother of Maggie Gylenhall who plays as Rachel in The Dark Knight, also with Heath. Speaking of which does anyone know why Katie Holmes didn't reprise her role?

Tom wouldn't let her out the house.

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 10:25 pm

no chemistry with Christian Bale?