Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 7:13 pm

my friend showed me an episode of Slayers the other night. What a piece of garbage! I can safely say that I hate most anime series and movies.

Although, what are the differentiating qualities of a good anime movie like Ghost in the Shell or Akira to childish anime with all the ridiculousness and antics and the silly magic coming out of a bladed weapon?

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

SilverShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2011, 10:26 pm

They're aimed toward different target audiences. Ghost in the Shell and Akira are both Seinen, while fancy, silly magical journeys tend to be shounen (and sometimes shoujo). What that generally means is you like anime that is targeted toward adult men, while your friend who likes Slayers prefers anime targeted toward little boys and teenagers. There's nothing wrong with that.

If you like more serious series, maybe you should take a look at Naoki Urasawa's Monster. It's about a doctor who is trying to catch a serial killer who ruined his career and possibly framed him for murder...but it is much better and more serious than it sounds. If you've got Netflix, you can stream it there. If not, you can get what Viz calls the "first season" on Hulu. (There are no divisions in seasons, because it is an ongoing story with no filler for 74 episodes.) Its pacing is really slow, but if it were paced any faster it would likely be emotionally taxing.

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2011, 11:41 am

Anime like all TV/moives and can come in different types for different people One person may feel Slayers is "a light,funny love story about a short witch with powers she enjoys using and her unknown love/swordsmen partner. Others might say GITS is all power robots/computers and a main the loves to show off her body "because I am a not human" has no real plot. The only people that like it only watches it for the nude parts and will tash any other anime if it does not have boobs in it. Both thoughts can be right because of different tastes.

you can not make a show/book/anime/movie/game every one will like and no one will hate. One person would love the lightning thief movie for its actiong plot and monsters. a different person would hate it because it fails to fallow the book and a 3rd because it it failed to show the mythes right.