Meh 24%  24%  [ 13 ]
Never seen it 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
Eggie wegs 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 55

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 4:55 pm

I've never seen it, but I'd like to. I enjoyed the book, I guess it was ahead of its time, so the movie was.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 12:17 am

Usagi1992 wrote:

Anyways, in regards to McDowell, yes, there's wickedness, but also a hint of intelligence.

Trivia: Stanley Kubrick, prior to reading the novel "A Clockwork Orange", had seen McDowell's performance in the movie 'If...', and it stuck in Kubrick's mind so much, that he *couldn't* get Malcolm's face out of his mind when reading the character of Alex! That's when he decided, as most of the fans of the movie already know, that if he couldn't get Malcolm to play the lead in his movie adaptation, he wouldn't make it at all.

Just thought you'd like to know, heh. 8)

I am tickled and not at all surprised. It's a tribute to his talent, because I do recall he had a rather sweet mop-top Beatle haircut at one point there in his youth... Hardly terrifying until you see the expression on his face.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

HowlingMad1992
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2008, 1:40 pm

It's a very weird film

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 10:48 pm

Well, you have to consider the times the movie was made in.

At that time, the last vestiges of the Hayes Commision (a censorship board started in the 30s, which had about 14 things you couldn't do on film), so it broke a lot of barriers for the time. At the time, nothing was really that violent, so it started the original 'ultraviolence' that we've gotten used to. But when it came out, it horrified some people.

The synth score was done by Walter (later Wendy) Carlos, the transgendered synth genius. At that time, synths were just available to the rich and famous, and it was a lot of people's first exposure to synthisizers in general (beliive me, I took synth class in the late 70s in college, and we had one of these monsters to play with. It took 5 patch cables just to get the keyboard to work..;)

That being said, it hasn't aged all that well, but it was interesting at the time.

Ledvia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2008, 11:48 pm

good film, it really is, but 70s nudity is really tacky xD.....but other than that...it's awesome....