Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 5:45 pm

In layman's terms, please. Layman's terms.

Owendust
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2008, 6:11 pm

Owendust wrote:
You assume that B implies A on the basis that A implies B. In other words, you assume that people would believe that having aspie-like qualities(B) would imply that a person is a sociopath(A) if it's admitted that being a sociopath(A) could lead to a person having aspie-like qualities(B). In reality, there are many other conditions that could lead to a person having aspie qualities, and I think that the general public has enough intelligence to realize this.

It's like saying that because I have a fever, I must have the flu, because when I have the flu, I have a fever (When, in reality, there are many other conditions that can cause a high fever).

I really don't know how much more I can simplify it. The statement that Dexter has aspie-like qualities does not lead to a logical conclusion that every person with aspie-like qualities is exactly like Dexter, which I showed through the use of a simple, established, logical equation (along with an example that most people can relate to).

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 6:14 pm

I understand. Someone misunderstood me when I made that statement to which you are referring. This is classically known as a communication breakdown. :wink:

Owendust
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2008, 6:29 pm

:D That's why I like this board. Generally, instead of getting pissed off, we can chalk it up to miscommunication.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 4:59 am

Owendust wrote:
:D That's why I like this board. Generally, instead of getting pissed off, we can chalk it up to miscommunication.

Indeed.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 5:02 am

slowmutant wrote:
Owendust wrote:

Indeed.

Depends on which section of WP you post in.

In any case, Dexter isn't an aspie. He is definitively a sociopath.

That said, the fact that he channels his tendencies towards more vigilante activities is something of a saving grace. I'd rather a serial killer pick off his own kind and pedophiles than your average citizen.

On sabbatical...

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 5:10 am

His vigilante activities do NOT cancel out his own victims. At the end of the day, the people he kills are still dead. Don't you get it?

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 5:25 am

slowmutant wrote:
His vigilante activities do NOT cancel out his own victims. At the end of the day, the people he kills are still dead. Don't you get it?

Have you actually watched the series, or read the original books? His victims are killers themselves who were able to evade to law.

On sabbatical...

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 5:33 am

Quatermass wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

Have you actually watched the series, or read the original books? His victims are killers themselves who were able to evade to law.

That may be, but how is Dexter any better than the people he kills? Does the show present Dexter has having a thin edge of moral superiority over his victims? Batman is a vigilante, but he never kills. Batman brings people to justice.

Generally speaking, I'm not an advocate of vigilante justice.

PhR33kY
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2008, 10:49 am

Owendust wrote:

That in itself makes this so freakin' awesome!