Where Family Guy went wrong (answer may surprise you)

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2009, 2:57 pm

Oddly enough, I could deal with Family Guy having the random cutaways, flashbacks, and pop culture references. I didn't mind that.

But what I take exception to is that nowadays? Family Guy just seems really mean-spirited. During the few times the characters DO interact with each other, they act like total dicks. And their jokes have gotten meaner too. Last week I remember Peter saying "c'mon Lois let's curl up in bed and watch Jimmy Kimmel try". That's not a joke, that's just mean! And I don't like Matthew McConaughey much either, but having Stewie just lob insults at him for two minutes isn't funny or clever.

Not to mention it seems like the people who make the show don't seem to be trying much anymore. The amount of filler in certain episodes is appalling these days. How much time did they dedicate to that Direct TV bit? And what was the point of showing a whole Conway Twitty song halfway through an episode? I just get the sense that everyone making the show is really unhappy or unsatisfied right now. And Seth MacFarlane just seems intent on making money instead of making a good show. You can tell he doesn't dedicate much time to American Dad and if you ask me the show's way more funny and consistent for it.

Anyone else get the same sense?

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2009, 3:59 pm

I love to watch the meanspirited jokes. They're funny. I'm not a dick but I love the show.

Fayed
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2009, 4:07 pm

it could be that they are just trying to appeal to a wider audience. A wide variety of jokes means they can make more people laugh. Example, there was a bit about cheering at a School for the deaf ( they cheered, leader said "i cant her you" and kept doing it) honestly, i didn't find it that funny. I know some kids who go to a school for the deaf and it just didn't appeal to me. That being said i still watch the show.

and i personally enjoyed the Conway Twitty song. It was ment to be a homage/hit on Hee-Haw (70s and 80s show).

TielPearce
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Apr 2009, 8:36 pm

Of Stewie being gay jokes. I hate it. At first it was subtle but now world domination can wait, first I have to fantasize about my gay teddy bear! Oh, it makes me mad! I liked Stewie the way he was, an evil baby plotting to kill his mother every week, but now he is a gay joke. I am now sad.

Glencannon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Apr 2009, 8:46 pm

I absolutely love how mean they are to Meg.

HowlingMad1992
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2009, 8:20 am

Family Guy this season has been utter crap, theres only been about 2 episodes in which in my opinion have been funny. They like to recycle old jokes & references which annoys me e.g. when Peter falls over and goes "awww!! !" about 10 times :evil:

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2009, 8:45 am

It only annoys me when they have one of those things where the joke is the repetition, but then they always take it just that little bit too far so you're like, "Yes, we got the message, can we continue with the plot now?"

Apart from that, I think it's a great show.

y es como un semestre"

GeorgeM
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Apr 2009, 11:10 am

I used to like Family Guy, but now I think it's just obscene. The Simpsons is a much better show because it's clever

Laconvivencia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2009, 3:27 pm

Family Guy is not my favorite Show but it is alright, it is not as bad as South Park.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2009, 3:57 pm

Unlike the OP, I never liked the cutaway jokes. The only Family Guy episode I can stand (because of its notable lack of cutaways saturating the episode) is Blue Harvest (the episode that spoofed Star Wars episode IV...)

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2009, 4:15 pm

I like Family guy. Only thing I don't like is when they cut to conway twitty or someone singing for like 5 minutes or so. What did they run out of plot and need something to fill in?

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2009, 4:19 pm

KenM wrote:
I like Family guy. Only thing I don't like is when they cut to conway twitty or someone singing for like 5 minutes or so. What did they run out of plot and need something to fill in?

No, family guy is written by manatees... better get used to it...

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 9:08 pm

Looks like after tonights show about them being pro weed I'm going to have to stop watching. I will have nothing to do with anything that is pro drugs.

ReeseLightnin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2009, 12:35 pm

KenM wrote:
Looks like after tonights show about them being pro weed I'm going to have to stop watching. I will have nothing to do with anything that is pro drugs.

Being of unbending moral fiber as you are, I'm assuming you're going to stop watching Nascar, what with their allowance of beer and liquor-based advertising.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 5:24 pm

I was a fan of Family Guy for a while but it has definitely started to go down hill after the 5th season, with the 7th(and current) season being by far the worst one. I mean for this current season, it's been nothing but poorly written stories with very unfunny and overdone cutaway jokes, Conway Twity gag in the Juice is Loose anyone? Not to mention the other episodes are not only unfunny but the stories are nothing but Seth expressing his extremely liberal views on current issues.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2009, 12:11 am

Conway Twitty was good the first two times they did it in the series, but the latest one was just too damn much. Who needs 4 whole minutes of it?