Why is it bad for adults to like kid movies?

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 5:07 pm

At work I was helping someone in the toys area. I went to put rapunzel from the movie tangled away and said "This is not actually all that bad of a movie". I got told that I need to watch more adult movies, why? And if someone says that they are assuming I don't watch many adult movies. PG rated movies such as how to train your dragon, shrek, etc. are mainly marketed to kids. But they are also trying to reach a wide audience, you will find some adult humor in kid movies.

I don't watch all that many "adult movies" but it is not like I don't. I guess game of thrones (tv series, so I guess it might not count) is too kiddie. Course those 2 people at work had not heard of that show

Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2012, 5:45 pm

My little pony, friendship is magic is a kids show that has a massive fan base of 15-21 year old males, movies like tangled are awesome as well and I see nothing wrong with liking them.

DogOfJudah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2012, 5:52 pm

News to me..

I like loads of kids films, mainly due to the innuendo that can be found within he he.
But sometimes they're a refreshing change to the ultra violence action/horror films I tend to watch.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 5:57 pm

I think you should watch what you enjoy and simply ignore those who suggest otherwise.

I don't think it's bad for adults to watch kids movies at all. My boyfriend watches Game of Thrones but he said it would be too violent for me. I can't cope with violence at all - I've seen enough in real life and it brings back horrible memories for me. So I tend to watch either films aimed at kids, or films aimed at adults that have a guidance rating of 12 or under. A lot of World Cinema falls into the latter category and so do classic movies from the 40s and 50s. My boyfriend finds me kids films and watches them with me. He often enjoys the films we watch together as much as the 'grown up' films he watches once I have gone to bed.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 6:01 pm

All of my favorite movies are intended for kids, but I still love them. If others complain, silly them. It helps that I work with kids in Church and for some reason, working with kids allows you to like the stuff they do. I have frequently been told (but in a good way -I asked) that I act like the kids so I am indistinguishable from them.

Watch Finding Nemo, How to train you dragon, The incredibles, Milo and Otis, The Secret World of Arrietty, My neighbor Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle, Penguins of Madagascar, The Pirates! Band of Misfits. Do so without shame! For these movies are much more fun than "adult" movies.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 6:03 pm

SilkySifaka wrote:
I think you should watch what you enjoy and simply ignore those who suggest otherwise.

Oh it won't affect what I watch, just what I talk about

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 7:08 pm

My top favorite movies are rated PG (the Tim Burton versions of Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). I love the colorful, whimsical settings and costumes, and the fact that the characters have larger-than-life personalities. The Mad Hatter and Willy Wonka are 2 of my favorite Johnny Depp characters.

soutthpaw
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 May 2012, 7:14 pm

Screw what other people think. I love the type of movie you are talking about. Tangled has S & M undertones all over it heh...

lilbetta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 May 2012, 7:42 pm

NOTHING AT ALL~!
How to train ur dragon is one of my top ten all time faves... i work with kids for my life so luckly i have an excuse to know all about kids movies :P

lilbetta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 May 2012, 7:43 pm

NOTHING AT ALL~!
How to train ur dragon is one of my top ten all time faves... i work with kids for my life so luckly i have an excuse to know all about kids movies :P

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 7:51 pm

Considering adults make kid's movies, it's a little odd that they can't take interest in them. How are they produced, if not by people with an interest?

I find no particular appeal in them but I do find this particular prohibition puzzling.

MrBackward
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 May 2012, 7:57 pm

Kids movies v adult movies
I am going to agree with every other post on here that it doesn't matter so long long as you enjoy it
Personaly I like most kids shows/movies and still watch saturday morning cartoons every week!
One of my favourite personal achievements is that I can sing all the songs from The Lion King and do so at my lesure even if I am at work.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 8:22 pm

There's nothing wrong with liking kids movies I've enjoyed Shrek, The cat in the hat, the lion king.
Don't worry about what other people think they're the ones that will miss out in the end.

ttqs84
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2012, 10:07 pm

Dude, I'm almost 28 yrs. old and I still watch Disney films, 'Shrek', 'Madagascar', and whatnot. Am I supposed to give a damn of what other people think? HELL 2 DA NO!! !

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 6:51 am

Any time I go to the cinema these days, it's with my daughter and it's the Saturday morning kids showing (around £1 per ticket). The film is no longer on general release by then, but only just. I've enjoyed most of them, the most notable ones being Up!, Tangled, Tintin, How to Train Your Dragon, Bolt and Ratatouille. All of them had a good story, wonderful characters, lots of action and great animation. What's not to like?

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 9:27 am

I see nothing wrong with adults liking kid movies. I still love Lion King till this day. :)

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)