Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2006, 1:17 am

Sheesh. Not a single mention of Dane Cook.

pad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2006, 2:12 am

ghotistix wrote:
Sheesh. Not a single mention of Dane Cook.

Oh yeah!

Klytus
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2006, 7:24 pm

pemdasi wrote:
um, I'd have to say Bill Hicks would be my all time favorite.

animefreak wrote:
Denis Leary

Hmm. Is that a wind-up: an allusion to the accusation that Leary stole Hicks' act?

Once, when Hicks was asked about this, he replied, "I have a scoop for you. I stole his act. I camouflaged it with punchlines, and to really throw people off, I did it before he did."

Also, one time when an interviewer asked Hicks why he'd given up smoking, he replied, "I wanted to see if Dennis Leary would do it."

From what I've heard of Hicks, he was quite good for a leftie. But I'm not generally that keen on political stand-up.

wandrew
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2006, 3:37 am

Dead:
Bill Hicks. Brilliant, revolutionary and dangerous to established order. "I not only think marijuana should be legalized, I think it should be mandatory." "(Tiffany and Debbie Gibson) are part of a CIA plot to make you think that malls are good."
Lenny Bruce: Ditto.
Richard Pryor: Ditto
Sam Kinison: Ditto.
The Goons (Spike Milligan, Michael Bentine, Harry Secombe, and some guy named Peter Sellers whose career never went anywhere) Brilliant lunacy.

Living:
Robin Williams: Brilliant lunacy at the speed of thought.
Jonathan Winters: Put him in a room with Williams and watch your mind melt as you LYAO.
Monty Python (with the obvious exception of Graham Chapman): The comedic godsons of the Goons. Satirical sometimes, but mostly just absurb and farcical.
Stephen Wright: "There's this switch in my house which doesn't do anything. I flick it on and off every once in a while. A month ago, I got a letter from a woman in Germany saying, 'Cut it out.'"
Bobcat Goldthwait: I fear for his sanity every time he goes on stage.
George Carlin: The most brilliant living satirist and iconoclast.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2006, 11:43 am

I haven't gotten to see too many comedians. But from the ones I have seen, I'd have to say George Carlin, Bill Cosby, and Robin Williams are my faves. Though I could do with less profanity with George, but meh, he's funny all the same. :lol:

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

PlatypusMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2006, 3:39 am

Stand-Up Comedians
George Carlin- His satire is excellent. And is sociopolitical commentary is absolute genius. My most favorite comedian ever.
Larry The Cable Guy- funny.
Rodney Carrington- His musics funny, but his standup fares well too.
Bill Cosby- Legend.

Actors
Jim Carrey
Mike Myers
...can't remember

From the Music World
Wierd Al
The Great Luke Ski
Worm Quartet
The Four Postmen

Writers/Satirists
George Carlin's books
Maddox- of maddox.xmission.org . He is the Socrates of our time.

There's probably more, but I'm sleepy.[/u]

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jan 2006, 3:50 am

Here's the short list, because the full list is too long:

1. George Carlin - "I believe, somewhere between Famous Potatos and Live Free or Die lies the truth."
2. Lewis Black - "Three rabbits are sitting on a log, and one goes home and hangs himself. (pause) Buy a bike."
3. STELLA (Comedy Group) - "Micheal, not all Germans are Nazis." "That's not my understanding."

w00t.

PlatypusMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2006, 3:52 am

Quote:
2. Lewis Black - "Three rabbits are sitting on a log, and one goes home and hangs himself. (pause) Buy a bike."

I completely forgot about Lewis Black. ANother excellent social commentator/satirist.

"Brinety Spears, NSync, and Aerosmith...three bands that shouldn't be in the same STATE..."

Klytus
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2006, 6:37 pm

Roybertito wrote:
Lewis Black - "Three rabbits are sitting on a log, and one goes home and hangs himself. (pause) Buy a bike."

I don't get that one either. :|

psych
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2006, 7:51 pm

Mark Thomas for political humour - doesnt consistently have the same stand-up quality of Hicks, but his real 'act' is actually getting out there & doing stuff.

eg;
-flying over restricted US airspace in a balloon.
-setting up forbidden arms-deals from the UK to sanctioned regimes, then phoning up the dealers with the phone secretly hooked up to loudspeakers in central london.
-pretending to be a PR company at a major arms fair, then taking the piss out of the dictators there.

most of the stunts are too convoluted and obscure to be summed up in a single sentence, but you get the general idea.

hell_grey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jan 2006, 1:10 am

one of my favs is mitch hedburg but unfortuantely i think he died of a drug overdose a couple of years ago. he had a COmedy central Presents special.

"this shirt is dry clean only.... which means.... its dirty"
"a severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer"
- mitch hedburg.

its funnier the way he says he because he has such a stonerish drawl. he prolly was drugged every time he was perfrming lol.

i also like dane cook, denis leary, and jon stewart... if he's considered a comedian

Klytus
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2006, 7:26 am

psych wrote:
Mark Thomas for political humour - doesnt consistently have the same stand-up quality of Hicks, but his real 'act' is actually getting out there & doing stuff.

eg;

What point is that stunt supposed to prove? Isn't the US entitled to declare portions of its airspace restricted for security reasons?

I've caught a bit of Mark Thomas before. He'd be better if he stopped pretending to be a stand-up and just made documentary-style short films.

I still wouldn't watch him if he did though. :mrgreen:

psych
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 9:39 am

Klytus wrote:
psych wrote:

eg;

What point is that stunt supposed to prove? Isn't the US entitled to declare portions of its airspace restricted for security reasons?

The airspace was menwith hill, where the telecommunication surveillance takes place. i think the point being made was protesting the US 'entitlement' to listen to the entire UK phone network indiscrminately without the UK warrants etc. dont quote me on that though!

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2006, 1:19 am

Klytus wrote:
Roybertito wrote:
Lewis Black - "Three rabbits are sitting on a log, and one goes home and hangs himself. (pause) Buy a bike."

He was talking about how bad Super Bowl commercials are.

Do you get it now?

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 11:47 am

I completely forgotten to add Andy Kaufman to my list...

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Klytus
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2006, 6:09 pm

Roybertito wrote:
Klytus wrote:
Roybertito wrote:

He was talking about how bad Super Bowl commercials are.

Do you get it now?

Not really. No one watches the Superbowl in the UK. :P

Actually, I had an idea he was imitating a TV commercial, so thanks for the explanation.