Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 2:53 pm

I miss Star Trek and I miss those legal shows by David E Kelly. I was imagining the fun legal problems thatStarfleet would have with new wrinkles that pop up when they interact with alien cultures. I'd love a show like that.

Then yesterday I read an article that said everything has been done with Star Trek and it's hard to think of new ideas for new shows. Those legal shows seem to never run out of ideas. The Supreme Court has plenty of work, too. Legal ironies just go on and on forever, it seems.

I wish I could pitch Starfleet Legal to David E Kelly and some Star Trek people. Maybe they'd like it. If this idea is good enough for anyone to want to steal, like TV producers ever come here, I'd be just fine with that. I just want Star Trek back and David E Kelley shows! Starfleet Legal!

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 4:18 pm

That's actually a brilliant idea. A JAG-esque thing might work well, but also civil and criminal cases. It would be very interesting to see the difficulties that arise with other cultures and legal systems.

Maddkow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jul 2009, 6:10 pm

I like the idea too... perhaps adding equivalents to the Alan Shore and Denny Crane personas as well? hehe

Every morning, blow up a really big balloon. Then, with ear plugs over your ears, slowly let all the air out of the balloon, letting it make that high-pitched sound. Tell your neighbors its a science experiment if they complain.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 6:18 pm

Maddkow wrote:
I like the idea too... perhaps adding equivalents to the Alan Shore and Denny Crane personas as well? hehe

Odo was a regular on Boston Legal and sometimes Quark was a judge. It's like it needs to take that extra step and morph into a Star Trek series.

Last edited by OregonBecky on 05 Jul 2009, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 6:28 pm

Before you do, I suggest that you watch the Blake's 7 episodes The Way Back and Trial, which both show the legal processes in the Terran Federation. They could be ripe for satire, as well as showing what a more evil equivalent of the United Federation of Planets would do.

In The Way Back, Blake's 7's first episode, Roj Blake, the main character, is put on trial on completely false charges of child molestation, in order to discredit him (he himself recently recovered from brainwashing).

In Trial, ironically enough, it is Blake's nemesis, Travis, who is put on trial (albeit as part of political powerplay to prevent him from testifying against his superior, Servalan) for mass murder. Ironically, the charges laid against him are actually real.

Notably, the trial is decided by a computer examining two sets of evidence, one by the prosecution, and the other by the defence. The judges there are merely to impose sentence.

On sabbatical...

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 6:41 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Before you do, I suggest that you watch the Blake's 7 episodes The Way Back and Trial, which both show the legal processes in the Terran Federation. They could be ripe for satire, as well as showing what a more evil equivalent of the United Federation of Planets would do.

In The Way Back, Blake's 7's first episode, Roj Blake, the main character, is put on trial on completely false charges of child molestation, in order to discredit him (he himself recently recovered from brainwashing).

In Trial, ironically enough, it is Blake's nemesis, Travis, who is put on trial (albeit as part of political powerplay to prevent him from testifying against his superior, Servalan) for mass murder. Ironically, the charges laid against him are actually real.

Notably, the trial is decided by a computer examining two sets of evidence, one by the prosecution, and the other by the defence. The judges there are merely to impose sentence.

I looked up Blake 7. It looks very good! Sadly, it's very expensive if I buy it formatted for US DVD players, according to Amazon. It's on my radar now, though, so I'll keep looking around for it.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 6:59 pm

OregonBecky wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

I looked up Blake 7. It looks very good! Sadly, it's very expensive if I buy it formatted for US DVD players, according to Amazon. It's on my radar now, though, so I'll keep looking around for it.

I think that you can find the relevant episodes on YouTube.

On sabbatical...

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 7:07 pm

Quatermass wrote:
OregonBecky wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

I think that you can find the relevant episodes on YouTube.

Thanks. I'll watch!

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 10:47 pm

They've done about an episode of legal per series, since the beginning.
TOS had Court Martial
TNG had the trial about Data (and another about who was a Romulan spy)
DS9 actually had a Cardassian Trial in one episode, not sure if Inter Armes Leg...whaterver...was.probably just a mystery...;)
Voyager had one about the Doctor's rights as an author.

etc., if I was a real Trekkie, I'd know the names of the other episodes

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 8:30 am

pakled wrote:
They've done about an episode of legal per series, since the beginning.
TOS had Court Martial
TNG had the trial about Data (and another about who was a Romulan spy)
DS9 actually had a Cardassian Trial in one episode, not sure if Inter Armes Leg...whaterver...was.probably just a mystery...;)
Voyager had one about the Doctor's rights as an author.

etc., if I was a real Trekkie, I'd know the names of the other episodes

Data's "trial" - The Measure of a Man
Romulan "spy" - The Drumhead
DS9 - Tribunal

I'm in a legal office and we both saw the DS9 episode...we routinely quote the judge's opening statement of the trial, "The offender Miles O'Brien, human, officer of the Federation's Starfleet, has been found guilty of aiding and abetting seditious acts against the state. The sentence is death; let the trial begin."

We shorten it to, "The crime is _____, the verdict is guilty, the sentence is death. Let the trial begin."

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jul 2009, 11:59 pm

Measure of a Man
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYp2dx652ho[/youtube]

The Drumhead
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smdqe2eluEI[/youtube]

It could work

The former things have passed away."

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 1:07 am

I think it would work. There are trial aspects in some of the Classic Trek movies, the idea was used as a framing device in Menagery when Spock is on trial for mutiny, and Kirk is on trial for murder when an ex friend frames him.

Oh, there's the dreadful Jack the Ripper episode where Scotty is on trial too... that wasn't the fault of the original script, which I've read and was excellent. The director bowdlerised it, and totally messed up.

It could indeed work. Kudos!

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 11:16 pm

pakled wrote:

"Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" was the second episode of Section 31 which was where Bashir went to that conference on Romulus and got mind probed by Koval the TalShiar guy, and Admiral Ross and Sloan were plotting together to take down Senator Cretak.

...Although that Continuing Committee scene might be seen as a kind of trial.

There was also "Dax" which was when some guy wanted to extradite Jadzia back to his homeworld because he thought Curzon had killed his dad.
And "Rules of Engagement" had Worf on trial for destroying a Klingon passenger ship while protecting some convoy.
And has anyone mentioned TNG "Devil's Due" ??

So yeah there is a lot of legal stuff in Star Trek.
Although I must say that the idea of a ST series based on legal stuff is one of the best new series ideas I've heard in a long time.