Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2005, 8:07 am

I just dug up Final Fantasy 7 for the first time sinse i was diagnosed with AS (i think...) and does anyone else think Clouds an aspie?

<a href=http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_project>Project Legacy, building the future</a>

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2005, 9:19 am

Uh, keep playing, I think you'll find that if he did have AS, its the least of his worries

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2005, 9:22 am

lol ive completed it and i no all about his "relation" to jenova...

<a href=http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_project>Project Legacy, building the future</a>

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2005, 2:50 pm

hahaha okay :D

Well in that case what makes you think hes an aspie? *is genuinely curious*

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2005, 6:55 pm

Just a feeling. Like, in his memorys of growin up, i coud empaphise completely with his feeling of isolation...

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2005, 7:21 pm

Hmm, don't remember the game too well but... that is something that is a recurrent feeling I find when I'm watching anime, japanese RPGs and other such things. I have wondered if maybe theres a higher instance of AS or OCD in Japan, but thats pretty hard to say, because from what I've read they're a culture that doesn't really believe in psychiatric evaluation or the treatment of disorders (which might explain why you hear about such f****d up s**t from over there sometimes... pardon my french)

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2005, 7:22 pm

Hmmm... you mite be onto sumat there, actaully...

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2005, 8:15 pm

AbominableSnoCone wrote:
Hmm, don't remember the game too well but... that is something that is a recurrent feeling I find when I'm watching anime, japanese RPGs and other such things. I have wondered if maybe theres a higher instance of AS or OCD in Japan, but thats pretty hard to say, because from what I've read they're a culture that doesn't really believe in psychiatric evaluation or the treatment of disorders (which might explain why you hear about such f*** up sh** from over there sometimes... pardon my french)

That is a possibility. There is a million recluses in Japan (mostly men in their teens), their reclusivness (hikikomori) is considered a problem within the family as opposed to a psychological condition. Like you said there isnt the same widespread diagnosis or treatment of psychological conditions in Japan as in the west. Of course not all of these hikikomori have AS or OCD but maybe a good proportion of them do.

Glasskitten
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2006, 10:28 pm

(Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I would have felt equally vulnerable starting my own.)

I just recently discovered a http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/15/magazine/15japanese.html?ei=5088&en=7b1fdacbeb794332&ex=1294981200&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&pagewanted=allNew York Times article relating to hikikomori[/url] and was wondering if it was a manifestation of AS. I do have a vague memory of reading somewhere that Japan has a higher autism rate than many other countries, but apparently they do not make a connection between a clinically diagnosable condition and extremely anti-social behavior. On a related note, is the DSM IV international, or could the Japanese possibly lack a word for "Asperger's Syndrome"?

<irrelevant personal ramblings>
I want to be a hikikomori when I grow up--which might be never, since my body is eighteen and I still feel very far from the threshold of adulthood. But anyway--it sounds nice if a person can secure a means of financial support. However, my mother would not qualify, having debts of her own, and I am not feeling well suited for computer programming (being currently overwhelmed by a team project in my main programming class in college). I hope I can get a nice, predictable job on an assembly line or something and life in a cozy litte apartment in a big city where nobody has the time or justification to pay attention to strangers. I hope I can earn a good enough salary to buy the things I need (gluten, casein, hygenic supplies, video games, anime, and computer upgrades) without having to interact with anyone or go through the whole pointless charade of normality. The real world is overrated.
</irrelevant personal ramblings>

Seanybaby
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Feb 2006, 3:00 pm

It's fictional. It doesn't matter if the characters have so and so conditions. It probably wasn't intended for their backstories anyway..... :?

Note to mods: I think you should move the "post reply" button because I keep accidentally clicking "new topic" by mistake.....>.<;

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 6:46 am

lol

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2006, 3:50 pm

Assassin wrote:
I just dug up Final Fantasy 7 for the first time sinse i was diagnosed with AS (i think...) and does anyone else think Clouds an aspie?

Maybe maybe not. I just can't wait till FF7 AC comes out. It won't come out until April 26. I wonder why they're pushing it back that far. FF8's Squall a lot like me.

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2006, 5:33 pm

Um... I watched it on manday >.<

Just download it like everyone else, for christs sakes ¬_¬

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2006, 11:43 am

Assassin wrote:
Um... I watched it on manday >.<

Just download it like everyone else, for christs sakes ¬_¬

Look I don't need to download it I'll just wait for it to come out on DVD. I wasn't sounding like I really needed to see it. Next time you order me like that....I'll come up with a threat later. Just watch out who you're talking to. :twisted:

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2006, 12:45 pm

geez

i mean, whats the point in waiting, just so you can spend £20 on it?

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2006, 3:51 pm

Assassin wrote:
geez

i mean, whats the point in waiting, just so you can spend £20 on it?

It's not here in the states yet. They're really taking their time about it. Sorry if I flew off the handle there.