Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 11:48 am

I've only seen one of his films and I was shocked because it wasn't very good (The Lost Highway). I want to see his other films because I hear they're very good and that The Lost Highway was not his best.

I really want to see "Eraserhead". I think my friends have some of his films, so I can ask to borrow some.

One of the people running a scriptwriting workshop I attended was a big fan of David Lynch and she got to meet him as well. She told me that it was a very powerful moment for her.

Chair
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jul 2009, 5:44 pm

David Lynch is overrated.

If you want to watch films by a director who is just as eccentric (if not more than David Lynch), watch films by Werner Herzog. He's way better.

I have a few David Lynch movies, but I don't like him anymore. I used to like Eraserhead, but now find his movies to be extremely pretentious and plain stupid. Also, I could never decide on whether I liked 'Blue Velvet' or not. If I can't decide on whether I like a movie or not, it probably means that I don't like it very much.

I'd choose a Werner Herzog movie over a David Lynch film any day. It's a shame that David Lynch is way better known that Herzog, but that's just because Werner Herzog's movies are mainly all German.

Alpacaman
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Aug 2010, 9:31 pm

I like Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks & his shorts. I really want to see his other work! :)
apart from Dune which seems like his one weak movie.

In my opinion David Lynch is definitely autistic.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 9:40 pm

Blue Velvet is my favorite movie of all time, and it is the film that got me drinking PABST BLUE RIBBON! David Lynch spent part of his childhood in Spokane Washington, so whenever I lend the movie out to anyone who isn't from the Spokane area originally, I tell them only a Spokane guy could be that weird. A movie is only as good as its villain, and Blue Velvet had one the great cinema bad guys - the late Dennis Hopper as the psychotic hoodlum Frank Boothe. I love the seedy, surreal imagery, particularly the scene where Dean Stockwell is lip syncing to a Roy Orbison song (is it called A Candy Colored Clown They Call The Sandman?) before a room filled with criminal lowlifes who think he's the suavest thing in the world. And those unforgettable lines like (!) - "Heinekin? f**k that s**t! Pabst Blue Ribbon!", or, "Don't look at me!" spoken by Hopper.
I also own Eraser head, the movie which made my friends think there must be something wrong with me for owning, as well as Dune, and Lost Highway, though those last two are on tape, and I no longer have a working VCR.
I agree with other posters who see an autistic viewpoint of the world in David Lynch's films. More than that, in interviews with Lynch, I see an individual who is lost on an alien planet, misunderstanding everyday social ques, and having a very odd, loud way of speaking.
I'll say it - - I think David Lynch is a probable Aspie.
Anyone else have an opinion on this?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 9:47 pm

Alpacaman wrote:
I like Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks & his shorts. I really want to see his other work! :)
apart from Dune which seems like his one weak movie.

In my opinion David Lynch is definitely autistic.

How could I have forgotten Twin Peaks? Shame on me! :oops:
Back in my college days, almost everyone in school would watch Twin Peaks on Wednesday night, then we'd spend Thursday talking about it in class. At least all of us in liberal arts courses would. A friend of mine who was studying medicine in another university couldn't understand the show, or anything by David Lynch, and couldn't see why anyone would want to.
I agree, the series ended way too soon.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 10:05 pm

I like pretty much all his work except his more recent works ie, mullholand drive and inland empire. It says a lot that stanley kubrick said that eraserhead was one of the best movies he seen. I see this as him trying to pass the torch down to david, but of course, david isn't mainstream, so he couldn't really live up to that kind of hype, except to his cult followers.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 6:45 am

Chair wrote:
David Lynch is overrated.

If you want to watch films by a director who is just as eccentric (if not more than David Lynch), watch films by Werner Herzog. He's way better.

I have a few David Lynch movies, but I don't like him anymore. I used to like Eraserhead, but now find his movies to be extremely pretentious and plain stupid. Also, I could never decide on whether I liked 'Blue Velvet' or not. If I can't decide on whether I like a movie or not, it probably means that I don't like it very much.

I'd choose a Werner Herzog movie over a David Lynch film any day. It's a shame that David Lynch is way better known that Herzog, but that's just because Werner Herzog's movies are mainly all German.

I'd agree about Eraserhead. These days, I find that a film needs more than symbolism to hold my interest.
I saw Blue Velvet as a teenager. It didn't make much of an impression on me.
Still, I'd quite like to see Dune some time.

I like the Werner Herzog films I've seen so far.
If aspies are looking for "outsider" films, I would definitely recommend Herzog's "Enigma of Kaspar Hauser". Grizzly Man might also qualify, and is also definitely worth watching IMHO. I quite liked Fitzcarraldo too.
I'd really like to see Aguirre some time. (Love the Popol Vuh soundtrack!)

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 11:48 pm

Ive only seen Twin Peaks and Mullholand Drive. Both are cool but weird as f**k.

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Sep 2010, 5:15 am

David Lynch is easily my favorite filmmaker. I love Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, and Lost Highway, but I think Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire are masterpieces.

Twin Peaks was really good but season 2 had a lot of filler. I was disappointed with the ending of Fire Walk With Me. I thought the same scene in the premiere of season 2 was much more captivating.

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

12 Sep 2010, 9:33 am

Fan.

Blue Velvet was great.

Science_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 12:32 pm

I've only seen Eraserhead but I like it a lot.

rjgarn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Sep 2010, 3:00 am

I am a big fan of Lynch. I have not yet seen all of his films, but my top favorites thus far are 1: Lost Highway, 2: Mulholland Drive, and 3) Blue Velvet. Eraserhead, Twin Peaks, and Wild at Heart are also great. I've also seen Inland Empire, and I honestly don't know what to think of that, it's a little to random for me to really form a concise opinion about it, though a lot of the subplots are very interesting.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 12:17 pm

David Lynch is such an original it's hard to separate Good Lynch from Bad Lynch.
there aren't many artists like that & it's important when one comes along.
in some ways he's never equalled Eraserhead but then who could?
with The Straight Story he showed that he could do a "regular" movie if he wanted to.
Lost Highway is half of a masterpiece & i have wished he stopped in the middle & gave it to some other director to finish.
don't know enough about DL to speculate on his psychology but i certainly feel at home in his world(s).
his infatuation with Transcendental Meditation i think is taking him farther from doing what he's best at, but that's his path to choose.
i like to say Twin Peaks is the best thing that has ever been on television (the first season anyway), & i'm still amazed after all these years that he even got to do it.
it gives me hope that there's a place for my own artistic endeavors when i see such an outsider given place & respect in this world that otherwise seems so recalcitrant.

m.

reasoning." --William Blake

rojasje87
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Sep 2010, 7:13 pm

Yea. One of my favorite. David Lynch's bizarre surrealism and symbolism appeal most to me. He as a unique ability tot take a film with such a simple plot and make turn it into an intellectual and highly contemplative one. In the Lynch films I've watched-- The Elephant Man, Eraserhead, Mullholland Dr., and The Inland Empire-- he peers deep within the characters with an introspective perspective of their unique outlook on reality; I love how he is able to translate this with abstract or surreal symbolism. Every Lynch film I've watched has led me to states of either confusion of deep curiosity, and I find myself searching to for answers to questions that beg to be answered within the film because I'm that intrigued. He is able to combine the cerebral with intensely emotional in strange yet effective way. His film's do have unique perspective from that of which introverted; he captures the essence of how it feels to be alone in one's own reality and how that translates to the reflection of reality on his characters.

Sol-IV
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2010, 1:12 pm

I'm quite a big fan; Eraserhead is one of my favourite films.