Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Were you relieved when you discovered you have Asperger's?
Yes, it explains a lot. 80%  80%  [ 8 ]
Not Sure 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Not happy about it but it helps to know. 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Not really 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

NumberFive
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2021, 3:17 pm

Hello!

I've suspected for years that I have Asperger's but I didn't pursue a diagnosis.

But recently I was reading about an art historian & BBC presenter who revealed he has Asperger's and that inspired me to look into it again. After reading adult accounts of Asperger's and reading through more literature, I felt like I was reading through my own history. So many things I never understood about myself suddenly made sense. It's a relief.

I'm happy to have found this community and look forward to meeting other adults who deal with similar issues.

I've been like this all my life so I don't think changing is a realistic option. I'm going for acceptance and maybe even celebration.

Dry Dry Sea
Raven
Raven

09 May 2021, 3:35 pm

Hello Number 5 :)

I'm technically also new. I wanted to say Hi. I say hi to almost everyone i meet.

Technically I was a "Lurker"

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 3:52 pm

Hello new people.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 5:08 pm

Though I think a better word would've been "happy". It really did explain a lot...and there was a lot to explain because I was 64 when I got the diagnosis.

Technically, I was diagnosed per DSM-5 so my primary diagnosis is Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild)--but I provided the psychologist with enough information about my first year of life that she was able to determine I also met the criteria formerly associated with Asperger's Syndrome.

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 May 2021, 6:13 pm

Welcome NumberFive

i knew what i was looking at way ahead of anybody else really acknowledging it .. only just persuing diagnosis .

i pick people at pretty quick cos once you know what you're looking for it's obvious .

another good thing is to look at famous examples of people with ASD

Lionel Messi
Elon Musk
Bill Gates
Jay-Z
Robin Van Persie
Floyd Mayweather

Christiano Ronaldo (suspected)
David Beckham (suspected)

.. some are unconfirmed . but i know

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 6:18 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

I found that realizing I was autistic was very relieving and helpful. I'm glad to hear that it has helped you understand yourself better. :D

NumberFive
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2021, 7:11 pm

Hi HeroOfHyrule

Thank you! I'm glad it was helpful for you too. :)

I've been like this all my life so I don't think changing is a realistic option. I'm going for acceptance and maybe even celebration.

Last edited by NumberFive on 09 May 2021, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NumberFive
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2021, 7:14 pm

Hi cbd

Thanks for the examples - I've been looking for visual artists who were/are autistic. it helps to see how others do things.

NumberFive
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2021, 7:22 pm

Hi Double Retired,

I'm glad it made you happy - it does explain so much. I's a little unnerving for me to see how much. I'd like to find someone who could help me with a diagnosis. I've been diagnosed with major depression and anxiety and I think the autism is a part of that.

NumberFive
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2021, 7:24 pm

Thank you Mountain Goat!

NumberFive
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2021, 7:26 pm

Hi Dry Dry Sea

Welcome to you too! I'm going to try really hard not to lurk. I think a lot of my fears about participating won't be an issue here. :)

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 May 2021, 6:57 am

NumberFive wrote:
Hi cbd

Thanks for the examples - I've been looking for visual artists who were/are autistic. it helps to see how others do things.

Stephen Wiltshire Being one of the most Promenant modern examples . His Broad attention to detail is phenomenal.

from looking on Google .. many examples of Austic Artists border Surreal / Abstract Artistic direction

NumberFive
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 May 2021, 8:53 am

Thank you cbd!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 10:12 am

NumberFive wrote:
Hi Double Retired,

I'm glad it made you happy - it does explain so much. I's a little unnerving for me to see how much. I'd like to find someone who could help me with a diagnosis. I've been diagnosed with major depression and anxiety and I think the autism is a part of that.
Happy...yes.

I started wondering if I had some medically-defined difference when I was in my mid-50's. "Autism" wasn't something I even considered...because I knew so little about it. When I was 64 life gave me a hint, I and my bride started doing research on the Internet, and everything fit! That lead me to getting a formal assessment.

Being in my 60's and blissfully retired gave me an ideal vantage point. I wasn't learning about obstacles in front of me. I was learning about all of the obstacles that I had muddled my way past already. So I was happy to find out it wasn't my imagination, my path had had obstacles that NTs didn't face and I'd done OK.

I assume the younger you are the less happy the diagnosis would be. For someone young it's a warning of obstacles yet to be met.

When I started a search for someone to do an adult autism assessment I found this link very helpful:

https://www.findapsychologist.org/

I looked for psychologists near me that took patients my age and worked with autism.

Apparently adult autism assessments aren't in big demand so their web pages might not mention it. When I first called the psychologist practice that did my assessment the Office Manager didn't even know if they would do an adult autism assessment...she had to ask the psychologists if they did.

Do not worry about ABA certification! That is for treatment and apparently few psychologists have that certification. My insurance provider incorrectly told me I needed a psychologist with ABA certification and that delayed the process by months.

Good luck!

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 5:35 am

Definitely a relief, looking at my long and painful life from the new perspective of being autistic made all the difference. At my old age it took a lot of sorting of past experiences, but it has been healing and helpful. I was so glad to know I was not a bad person and that everything was not "all my fault" all those years. It has made a world of difference to my peace of mind to have explanations for so much of the horrors of the past and to be able to adjust my life to do better today. I will be 70 this year and I began to suspect my autism around age 65. Welcome. You are not alone!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

NumberFive
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 May 2021, 8:26 am

Hi Double Retired,

Thanks for all the info - I appreciate it!