If you had to design your dream house what would it be?

Page 12 of 13 [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,405
Location: amid the sunlight and the dust and the wind

17 Jun 2021, 3:45 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Oh okay kool.I can deal with humidity fine but heat has started to bother me.Ya you would have to be in like the desert for a swamp cooler to work.


It doesn't take the desert -- just low humidity. West Texas and the High Plains would all be good. Also, New Mexico or Arizona.

One thing that I'm always amazed by in some desert areas is how much people will pay for a few acres of desert land. I had a discussion a few years ago with some woman who was paying like $10,000 per acre for about the most useless desert land available. At that time, good quality farmland where I live would run about $1,000 to $1,500 per acre. I couldn't believe that she thought that she was getting a good deal on desert land that couldn't grow much of anything.

By the way, it is possible to have a swamp cooler in high humidity areas. They are apparently good for some large buildings. What they do is dry the air out by running it through a dessicant first. Then, they use a gas flame to heat up the dessicant to drive out the water that it absorbed.



kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,405
Location: amid the sunlight and the dust and the wind

17 Jun 2021, 3:48 am

auntblabby wrote:
id love to live in a decommissioned church, with the reverberant acoustics and stained glass windows. lordy that'd be the thing.


I kind of like that idea in theory, but I'm not sure that it is all that practical. I do know a woman who does live in an old Baptist church. The last time I was there, the entire main part of the church was just for storage.

I see an old church for sale occasionally that has been converted into a home, but they always seem to want more than I think would be reasonable.



kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,405
Location: amid the sunlight and the dust and the wind

17 Jun 2021, 4:45 am

One issue to me about a house is knowing the levels of criminal activity in the area. One major requirement for a dream house from my point of view would be in an area without a lot of criminal activity.

There is very little criminal activity where I live and I feel very comfortable around here. I have a relative who lives in a small town about 100 miles away in which the relative says meth activity is very common. I never would have guess it about that area.

With the levels of unrest in many cities today, no house in those cities would be what I would consider to be a dream house. If I was going to move into a city, one of the primary concerns for me would be the amount of unrest in and around that community. Five years ago I thought highly of Minneapolis - St Paul but today there is nothing that would convince me to move there. That also goes for places like Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco.



Nyssarbor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 10 Jun 2021
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 8

17 Jun 2021, 2:13 pm

magz wrote:
A wooden cabin in the middle of moderate-climate forest.


I'm a 'cabin in the woods' girl too. I always imagine mine with a loft and an outdoor clawfoot bathtub



Texasmoneyman300
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 25 Feb 2021
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 368
Location: Texas

17 Jun 2021, 4:22 pm

kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
id love to live in a decommissioned church, with the reverberant acoustics and stained glass windows. lordy that'd be the thing.


I kind of like that idea in theory, but I'm not sure that it is all that practical. I do know a woman who does live in an old Baptist church. The last time I was there, the entire main part of the church was just for storage.

I see an old church for sale occasionally that has been converted into a home, but they always seem to want more than I think would be reasonable.

I also kind of like the idea of living in a church.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,657
Location: the island of defective toy santas

18 Jun 2021, 3:18 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
id love to live in a decommissioned church, with the reverberant acoustics and stained glass windows. lordy that'd be the thing.


I kind of like that idea in theory, but I'm not sure that it is all that practical. I do know a woman who does live in an old Baptist church. The last time I was there, the entire main part of the church was just for storage.

I see an old church for sale occasionally that has been converted into a home, but they always seem to want more than I think would be reasonable.

I also kind of like the idea of living in a church.

every time i've heard music in a church it was just sublime, the sound floats in mid-air.



kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,405
Location: amid the sunlight and the dust and the wind

18 Jun 2021, 2:08 pm

auntblabby wrote:
every time i've heard music in a church it was just sublime, the sound floats in mid-air.


That's a rather poetic observation. I could never come up with something like that.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 39,048

18 Jun 2021, 2:13 pm

http://www.theeastsideagent.com/mount-w ... -mavis-dr/

This place works for me, if it could be seaside with tinted windows and a weighted blanket.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,657
Location: the island of defective toy santas

18 Jun 2021, 7:07 pm

kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
every time i've heard music in a church it was just sublime, the sound floats in mid-air.


That's a rather poetic observation. I could never come up with something like that.

thank you, but it is just a plain aural observation, you just have to go there and listen, you will hear it also, esp. with pipe organ, that is the original surround sound right there, esp. with antiphonal pipes at rear.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,657
Location: the island of defective toy santas

18 Jun 2021, 7:12 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
http://www.theeastsideagent.com/mount-washington-a-frame-371-mavis-dr/

This place works for me, if it could be seaside with tinted windows and a weighted blanket.

the colors are wonderful. all i need is a few hundred million dollars' net worth to be able to afford it.



PseudointellectualHorse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 178
Location: Pasadena, California

21 Jun 2021, 9:22 pm

The architect Herman Webster Mudgett had some intriguing design ideas.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,657
Location: the island of defective toy santas

21 Jun 2021, 9:38 pm

i would love to visit the falling water house, but i don't think i could tolerate the constant water noise.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 39,048

21 Jun 2021, 9:42 pm

auntblabby wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
http://www.theeastsideagent.com/mount-washington-a-frame-371-mavis-dr/

This place works for me, if it could be seaside with tinted windows and a weighted blanket.

the colors are wonderful. all i need is a few hundred million dollars' net worth to be able to afford it.


Those are the colours I have now. I have quite a few Moroccan rugs with crimson, shades of sage, and deep blue.

I don't have anything white in my house.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,657
Location: the island of defective toy santas

21 Jun 2021, 10:05 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
http://www.theeastsideagent.com/mount-washington-a-frame-371-mavis-dr/

This place works for me, if it could be seaside with tinted windows and a weighted blanket.

the colors are wonderful. all i need is a few hundred million dollars' net worth to be able to afford it.


Those are the colours I have now. I have quite a few Moroccan rugs with crimson, shades of sage, and deep blue.

I don't have anything white in my house.

if you don't mind, can you tell me what you don't like about white?



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 39,048

21 Jun 2021, 10:10 pm

Mostly, it hurts my eyes because it's too harsh. But then it's also cold, it's sterile (too modern), it's stark, it doesn't have much personality, and it gets dirty. I like rich, rustic colours and wood tones. I just feel more relaxed with antiques and handmade textures. My floors are all wood or flagstone. My brother loves white but it gives me the willies. I don't even use white screens on my computer.

I stand corrected though - my daughter has quite a bit of warm white in her bedroom but she designed it that way. It's actually pretty but it's just not my style.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,657
Location: the island of defective toy santas

21 Jun 2021, 10:27 pm

is beige sufficiently off-white to be acceptable for you?
Image