Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

BlueBox
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Sep 2021, 4:05 am

Autistic (diagnosed this morning!). Looking for some not-over-stimulating conversation around autism (and the art of living in general) . I feel as if tectonic plates have shifted beneath my feet since my diagnosis. I'm a man (biologically and psychologically); I'm in my late 40's, and I'm retired from work on ill-health grounds (though I have returned to do some voluntary teaching recently). I play the piano, speak French and consider these two areas (music and language) to be my major passions in life. I always thrive in the company of musicians and other creative artists, but I don't usually get along with political people, activists or religious types. I avoid topics such as romance, love and intimate relationships as they make me feel awkward. I haven't had an intimate relationship for decades (and that was with someone of the same sex). I can change from being extremely idealistic to extremely pragmatic. I guess you would call that quixotic. I'm polite and agreeable, sensitive and excitable, with a thirst for exploring new environments and an equal longing for familiarity and stability.

A_minor
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2021, 4:27 am

Welcome to WP!

You sound a lot like me. I too was diagnosed at 49 (and sort of over the shock by now), am retired from work, play the piano (take lessons from a Russian lady every thursday), guitar, drums and bass (and played accordeon and panflute as a kid), have two friends (because of their love for music, one is a professional drummer).
I like arts in the broadest sense (my mother was an amateur artist, I use to paint and draw and intend to pick it up again once I get my studio sorted) and dabble with photography.
I've never known romance but I've stopped worrying about it.

I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 6:01 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you enjoy it and find some kindred spirits to chat with.

(That probably won't include me, however. I'm not exactly artistic, just mildly autistic.)

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 1:41 pm

Hi BlueBox and welcome :). Hope you’re coping alright since diagnosis! Congrats on the diagnosis in terms of having confirmation you may have been looking for and/or needing. The coming to terms, making sense of past situations and aha moments will hopefully give you clarity. Music, and being artistically inclined has helped me hugely in life. I try to avoid Politics, but sometimes, can’t help but have a say. Very warm welcome to you.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 5:38 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 7:07 am

Congratulations! Diagnosis changes our perspective completely and so many reasons behind past pains and struggles revealed in a new light when we know autism was at work "behind the scenes" without our knowing !
Take your time, the older we are at diagnosis the more past and emotional homework we have to do. I have so much more peace and self understanding, have been able to let go of the past and have been able to make self accommodations to make my life better in the present. Self care always first, we are here to listen and support!
Best wishes!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

BlueBox
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Sep 2021, 6:46 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome to the forum. And thank you for the offer of a friendly ear and a supportive shoulder.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 6:57 pm

Welcome.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 12:44 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

BlueBox
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2021, 5:06 pm

Thank you, guys.

malco
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2022, 5:59 pm

BlueBox wrote:
.....but I don't usually get along with political people, activists or religious types. I avoid topics such as romance, love and intimate relationships as they make me feel awkward. I haven't had an intimate relationship for decades (and that was with someone of the same sex). I can change from being extremely idealistic to extremely pragmatic.

I can identify with the problems with controversial topics; they usually end up in heated arguments. My lack of ability to frankly discuss romance etc. with girls and women in the past led to my wandering in the wilderness for decades. I still feel uncomfortable talking about those things. I was stung in my school years when I did talk about personal feelings and experiences with my peers as it led to my being being badly teased and highly embarrassed and me learning that you just did not talk about those things. Unfortunately, in later adult life my learned silence in the company of women who I felt a chemistry with and hasty withdrawal led to a very barren life. Pragmatism is my middle name. NTs just don't get it