Hello, 38M, married with 4 kids, 3 are nonverbal ASD

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2022, 4:35 pm

Before I married my wife, I warned her "hey, just so you know, I am fairly certain I am autistic and the odds of us having an autistic kid are pretty good."

Well, so far we have three kids that are nonverbal and pretty much poster children for ASD. I won't get into the details, but we have extreme difficulties with our two older kids. They are homeschooled because no way in heck am I subjecting them to a 90% chance of being sexually assaulted. They would be targeted because they can't speak.

Anyways, my life is pretty good and I honestly can't complain. I have a good work from home career - I've already hit the autistic ceiling and I'm about as far as I go.

I don't really have any friends outside my wife. I am a Phd economist that makes computer games for a hobby. Being an economist is not good for your social life at all. At some point you have to realize the best thing to do is avoid talking about economics. My wife's friends husbands will often know I am an economist and try to talk to me about economics but invariably its always some insane belief they want me to validate for them.

It would be neater if I worked around other economists but I don't. I work around a lot of statistics people who also have pretty silly ideas about economics and pretty much are set in it. I avoid talking about it, its not worth my time.

I end up saying very little. I've met a few people in life that are cool to talk to but that's about it.

I came across this and wondered how everyone else is doing. I don't really like social media so I'm not into it.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 5:12 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2022, 6:11 pm

Thanks!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 6:27 pm

Hello and welcome!

There's a Parenting section here if you want to talk about your children.
Otherwise, pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable with our off-beat brand of banter.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 6:33 pm

I understand why you homeschool your kids; they get special attention that way. Many teachers in special ed programs are apathetic and burned out.

But where did you get the "90% chance of being sexually assaulted" from?

There are many good people who work as teachers of people with special needs, even if they are burned out.

It's vey difficult to raise children with disabilities. I would probably not do too well at that. But you're doing well at it now.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2022, 7:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
But where did you get the "90% chance of being sexually assaulted" from?

Sexual abuse rate amongst autistic women is 90%

For autistic nonverbal kids, the odds at school are ~24%. Just type it in a google search bar.

I was a limited verbal - was sexually molested once. Was targeted by a trusted family friend.

Pedos see a kid that cant report to police and go for it.

Its not just sexual abuse, nonverbal kids are physically abused. The rate is too high. No one other than parents can be trusted to take care of kids that poop on the floor.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2022, 7:43 pm

Thanks, we need a staff. I honestly don't know what the future holds. Our kids don't talk and are destructive as heck. They also destroy bathrooms so while one is potty trained, we can't trust her in the bathroom. She takes all the TP and stuffs it down the toilet.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 9:07 pm

Welcome to WP!

I have no children but how am I doing as an Autistic? Fine, thank you.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 4:43 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 7:21 am

Welcome! I hope you find WP useful.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 11:57 am

Wow. This seems like you have your hands full. Does your wife help? Many people who home school their children will also try and integrate them into society. Because they are non-verbal, I suspect this may be a little more difficult.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 8:06 am

welcome!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson