Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Dkk4
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Aug 2022, 10:48 am

Hey,
I'm 53 she/her and was diagnosed ADHD last year although I suspected for a while. My husband was diagnosed ADHD in his mid-20s but I swear he denies that he is while I fully embrace it. The diagnoses helps me realize why I do the things I do as does my PTSD and childhood trauma. Understanding is huge for me. I have 4 adult children.

My youngest, 20 he/him was diagnosed ADHD (with a capital H) in 1st grade. He also has dyscalculia and synesthesia & truly challenged me to find a new way to parent.

My daughter, 24, was just diagnosed ADHD after years of me trying to encourage her to get the diagnosis. She has noticeable anxiety since probably 3rd grade. She was salutatorian and double major/double minor in college with applied mathematics, accounting, management & computer science. She just passed her CISA and is highly successful in her field.

Next son, 26, bisexual, diagnosed ADHD in 6th grade, suspected ASD. He can do mental math all day long has; he dysgraphia and aphantasia. He works as a machinist after working as a welder for several years. He lives at home, pays rent, and may just live here forever which I'm okay with, honestly.

Oldest son, turns 28 this week, diagnosed with anxiety and depression. He was valedictorian in both hs and at university. I have suspected ASD and he embraced it for about a week until he talked to his christian counselor about it who said something like, "If he had ASD, God healed him and he's not anymore" :evil: I cannot begin to explain how mad this makes me. ASD is not something that needs healed and it totally dismisses so much. I think he would find so much understanding if he'd just look into it more and find the support he needs to not feel so alone. He fits ASD so much and I keep wanting to just cry over how I missed all the obvious signs for so long. I wonder how much he masks, how exhausted he must be, how much the anxiety and depression are over him not being able to be himself.

That brings me to why I'm here. I love to learn and read and listen to all sorts of stuff, especially when it helps me understand myself or my children. I have done the deep dive into ADHD for 15 years now. I am just beginning to do it with ASD. I just read Unmasking Autism by Price which is how I found this website.
What other books, podcasts, etc would y'all recommend?
What would be good to suggest to my son? He likes to watch YouTube, listen to podcasts & read. I don't think he'd read Price's book because of his evangelical beliefs; he'll dismiss too much of the book.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 1:32 pm

I don't know that I'd be good at the "help or guidance" part of your post but I'm comfy with the "Getting to know each other" part of where you posted...Welcome to WP! And I hope you find some of the help and guidance you seek.

I'm inclined to feel sorry for any ASD folk living in a house full of ADHDers, though. 8O

I'm Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level  1 (Mild), my bride of 22+ years is ADHD not mild!. It is interesting.

P.S. Congratulations to 24 for the CISA! I'm a retired CISSP, myself.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 3:15 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

The_Wolf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 11:28 pm

Hello there and welcome to Wrong Planet from New Zealand - I hope that you will enjoy it here!! :)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 9:59 am

I do not know if I can help you but perhaps I can lead you in the right direction.

I am an old timer, 73 years old but I have the heart of a child - a very, very, very intelligent child. In a way I am a little like Peter Pan. Last year I suffered a massive stroke, the kind a person normally doesn't recover from, the bottom depths of Aphasia. But I keep on ticking.

I will send you down a strange journey and recommend you read a book by Jill Bolte Taylor called Whole Brain Living. She was a medical doctor who at the are of around 35 suffered a massive stroke. After quite a bit of surgery, she came back. But she came back as an entirely different person. Humans are some of the most complex creatures that have ever existed in this world. If you look at the human brain, we have two halves. These are two separate beings. They are very different people that work together inside of us. In general these two areas of the brain, the right and left halves join together and become one entity around the age of 12. The left side holds dominance and control.

In my case, I was attacked by a large bull when I was around 3 years old and died. I weighted around 20 pounds and the bull weighted around 1000. You can figure out who won. Well because of the attack I died or almost died. When I came back, my right brain took lead. Eventually my left brain came back on line and became my support brain. This made me an entirely different person. In a sense I am like Peter Pan. As a result I have some weaknesses and some strengths. I just use my strengths to overcome my weaknesses. But I am essentially a very different person than most people. And life has been good to me.

So the best approach for your children is to use their unique strengths to provide balance for their weaknesses. The human brain is one of the most advanced beings that has ever existed.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 1:39 pm

Welcome to wrong planet!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 7:52 am

Welcome to WP! :mrgreen: