Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

HP Love
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Sep 2022, 2:10 pm

Hi! I just registered here.

I'm 43 and was diagnosed with autism (I prefer to say Asperger's for more specificity) about a year ago. So I've spent my life being, y'know, very weird, and understanding that there had to be SOME explanation, but not knowing what. This is some weird stuff to learn about yourself in your 40s.

Anyway... here I am! Looking forward to being able to talk about some stuff with people who get it the way I get it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 2:22 pm

Welcome.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 3:25 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you like it here.

And I agree with your sentiment. I was 64 when I was diagnosed as having an Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild) with an additional note that I also satisfied the criteria formerly associated with Asperger's Syndrome.

I was delighted! It did explain so much. I was old enough, and perhaps you are also, to not see the diagnosis as telling me about difficulties ahead of me but rather about the difficulties behind me. I admit I haven't found any practical use for the diagnosis but I am still delighted by it.

Well, there are two benefits:
=>- When my bride bumps up against one of my Aspie traits I can say:
=>==>When my"I have a doctor's note for that!"
=>- Wrong Planet!

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 7:49 am

Finding forums like this is so great! Finally we are with others who understand and can share information and helpful ideas and insights from years of lived experience. Diagnosis can be life changing. Glad you are with us !

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 8:50 am

Willkomen :mrgreen:

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 9:36 am

Welcome! I hope you enjoy WP!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 8:24 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I think I finally figured it out. It is so much more complex then you could ever believe.

HP Love
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Sep 2022, 12:57 pm

Double Retired wrote:
I was old enough, and perhaps you are also, to not see the diagnosis as telling me about difficulties ahead of me but rather about the difficulties behind me. I admit I haven't found any practical use for the diagnosis but I am still delighted by it.

Yeah, great way to put it. I've been saying that it changes nothing but recontextualizes everything-- which is useful, for someone who spends as much time as I do thinking introspectively and striving for self-improvement. The areas of life where this info would've been the most useful are long behind me, but it's still good to have a better sense of how I operate.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 2:19 pm

About the age you are my medical life became a little more varied. Previously it had been routine stuff like respiratory infections. But in my 40's the doctors started saying more complicated stuff. Which I couldn't remember. So I started asking them to put stuff in writing. But I seldom got stuff in writing.

After I got the Autism diagnosis I thought it provided some support for the value of giving me stuff in writing. I give my medical providers a copy of the AASPIRE Healthcare Toolkit paper "How Autism Can Affect Healthcare" and one page of very brief notes relating the paper's points to me. But I still seldom get stuff in writing.

So, pretty much, the practical impacts on my life are the ones I mentioned above.

But, definitely, Welcome to WP!

P.S. I also take copies of the Comparative Pain Scale when I go for medical care. It makes more sense to me than the pain scales the doctors usually show me. The Comparative Pain Scale pops up and then disappears at various places on the Internet, just search for "Comparative Pain Scale" and you can probably find it somewhere.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 12:28 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!