Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jinxmylo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Oct 2022, 1:04 pm

Like earlier posters, I took some time off (a handful of years?) since I was here last. This was such a great resource when I was going through the diagnostic process, and decided to check back in, but although my browser remembered my old password, I couldn't for the life of me remember my username. :)

In 2020 after I got covid (which turned into super-disabling long covid) I moved from Portland, OR to Ohio to go back to school. I'm in a PhD program for media and communication, in the media effects and audience responses track. I was originally planning to research stuff around reactions to representations of race/gender/sexuality, but after a bad series of interactions due to cross-neurotype assumptions by my first teaching supervisor, I changed my focus to autistic representation. So now I've finished the first two years of classes and my preliminary exams, and am starting to work on my dissertation experiment planning around tv reception. I did one precursor study (survey/interviews) on how autistic people recognize each other vs. how non-autistic people think they recognize us, and am now I'm doing another one on how autistice vs. non-autistic people respond to rating scales in online forms, so that I can make the scales in my dissertation experiment more accessible. Once I finish running that one, I'll be able to get to the fun stuff about watching tv shows. :)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 3:49 pm

Welcome back! I always consider it a good sign when someone chooses to return to WP.

I wish you good health and good results in school. And maybe you'll find some guinea pigs on WP?

Though I would be useless on "how autistic people recognize each other vs. how non-autistic people think they recognize us". I got my Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild) and my MBTI "I" preference is very clear, and since the Pandemic I'm old enough and retired enough that I pretty much hide in my COVID bunker (home)...but I like it here! So I've not recognized any other autistic people since learning I was one.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 4:46 pm

Willkomen :mrgreen:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 8:50 pm

Welcome back and good luck on you ongoing college experience.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2022, 10:16 pm

Welcome back to Wrong Planet! :)

IMO, it's great that you moved away from Portland because
of political and social issues that makes we wish I had my first apartment by now.

The homeless situation, awful city leadership, and gun violence have made
Portland as much of a dystopia just like any other cities just like Portland.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 8:54 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!