Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Larkaloke
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jun 2023, 1:16 pm

Hey everyone! :)

I was officially diagnosed with ASD level one in November last year, but prior to starting that process at the beginning of 2022 I had been wondering for many years why I seemed to have so much more trouble with certain things (especially social and dealing with changes) than most people I knew. Since being diagnosed I've been reading a bunch of books, because that's generally how I prefer to learn about things.

I've been having a little trouble dealing with figuring this out now when I'm 33, after a decade of struggling badly with the social side of freelancing and having no idea why the advice I was reading kept making little to no sense to me, rather than much earlier. I was homeschooled growing up until I went to college, and almost everyone I knew as a kid was through the theatre I did, so I guess differences didn't really stand out to me then as much as they would start to once I was an adult. But of course, who knows how much that would have helped anyhow?

I thought it would be good to have a place to talk with other neurodivergent people, but the only support group I found near where I live meets rather early in the morning, which doesn't work for me - so I went looking around online for forums and such, since I've preferred that method of communication anyhow for a long time, and here I am.

I'm a comic creator, writer, and artist, but I make my living (at least for now) with web design. I spend most of my free time playing RPGs (tabletop or computer), reading, racing karts or online in iRacing, cycling, or studying historical martial arts. I also like listening to music, watching motorsport and hockey, and photography.

That's about all I can think of in the way of introductions, so hello!

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 2:05 pm

Welcome

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 3:25 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 3:49 pm

Welcome.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 4:14 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 5:24 pm

Welcome to WP! I think you can find some nice chats here.

And quite a few folk here will report that getting a diagnosis explained so much for them. In my case, I was diagnosed when I was 64 (others here have been diagnosed later!) and was very happy to finally get so much self-understanding. I'll admit I haven't found much useful about the diagnosis...except:
=>- Wrong Planet
=>- Telling my bride "I have a doctor's note for that!"
Nonetheless I thought (and still think) the diagnosis was wonderful because it explained so much.

And I did get champagne!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2023, 8:10 am

Hi Larkaloke. Welcome to Wrong Planet.

It is probably good that you were home schooled. Around age 11 or 12 most individuals make the transition from childhood to adulthood. There is a physical change that occurs in the brain. At this point many individuals similar to us undergo great hardships at school. For 3 years I was attached both verbally and physically at school by my peers. They came close to killing me. Bad times. So your parents kept you from that abuse. And that is a good thing.

I am pretty old now. I am 74 years old but I have the mind of a child, but a very, very, very smart child. I never made the transition into adulthood but remained a child deep down inside. I grew a mustache and everyone (NTs) thought I was an adult, but deep down inside me lies the mind of a child.

So welcome to Wrong Planet. Use your great strengths to overcome your great weaknesses.

Larkaloke
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jun 2023, 11:54 pm

Thank you all for the welcome!

Double Retired wrote:
Welcome to WP! I think you can find some nice chats here.

And quite a few folk here will report that getting a diagnosis explained so much for them. In my case, I was diagnosed when I was 64 (others here have been diagnosed later!) and was very happy to finally get so much self-understanding. I'll admit I haven't found much useful about the diagnosis...except:
=>- Wrong Planet
=>- Telling my bride "I have a doctor's note for that!"
Nonetheless I thought (and still think) the diagnosis was wonderful because it explained so much.

And I did get champagne!

It is certainly good to have answers, and I'm looking forward to learning more and figuring myself out more. It has already been easier to explain things to family and friends, and I've started working on managing my sensory issues better (carrying earplugs all the time and giving myself permission to keep my sunglasses on in stores, for instance), which has made many things less stressful.

jimmy m wrote:
Hi Larkaloke. Welcome to Wrong Planet.

It is probably good that you were home schooled. Around age 11 or 12 most individuals make the transition from childhood to adulthood. There is a physical change that occurs in the brain. At this point many individuals similar to us undergo great hardships at school. For 3 years I was attached both verbally and physically at school by my peers. They came close to killing me. Bad times. So your parents kept you from that abuse. And that is a good thing.

I am pretty old now. I am 74 years old but I have the mind of a child, but a very, very, very smart child. I never made the transition into adulthood but remained a child deep down inside. I grew a mustache and everyone (NTs) thought I was an adult, but deep down inside me lies the mind of a child.

So welcome to Wrong Planet. Use your great strengths to overcome your great weaknesses.

I know both of my parents had a very hard time in school with a lot of bullying, and they've told me that's why they homeschooled me. I definitely think it was the right decision, and even if I somehow escaped bullying, I don't think I would have done well in a school environment with so many people and loud sounds everywhere (I still had a bit of trouble with that in college, and that was with small class sizes in a community college).