Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ArtNotes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jun 2024, 8:35 pm

Hi! I'm extremely new to the "concept" of autism. I just found out today, that both my psychiatrist and therapist really think I'm on the spectrum; I have to call to get tested. I may have several questions, so I hope everyone will be patient with me. But one now-what is NT? Is it a form of autism? I've seen NT online, but don't know what it really is.

Thanks!

Also, is there a way to get to this site quickly? I've been typing "Wrong Planet" into google. And, how do you get notified of any replies?

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2024, 8:57 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! I hope you like it here!
NT stands for neurotypical (not having autism or any other neurodivergence).

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2024, 9:00 pm

ArtNotes wrote:

Also, is there a way to get to this site quickly? I've been typing "Wrong Planet" into google. And, how do you get notified of any replies?

WELCOME

You can choose to bookmark this website in your browser’s bookmarks, so all you have to do is open your browser and then visit the website.

It seems that you can receive a notification in your mailbox when there is a reply to your post (if you checked it when you posted), but I'm not sure about this.

PineappleLobster
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2024, 9:08 pm

Hello and welcome to Wrong Planet!

What utterly absurd said above^^ NT stands for neurotypical.
A couple of other things you might see here are:

ND: neurodivergent
Aspie or Aspergers: an older name for Autism, frequently still used here on WP, but “Aspergers” is no longer the official diagnostic name.

Many questions about the curiosity that is neurodivergence will be gladly answered :D

He/him they/them
~~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to send me a PM! :)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2024, 10:02 pm

Ahoy-hoy.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2024, 12:18 am

Welcome to WP!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2024, 3:20 am

Autistic. Opposite = Allistic.

ND= Neuro Diverse. Means those who don't think in typical ways.
(Autism is in a group of conditions under this heading. ND is not specifically autism).

NT= Neuro Typical. People who think in normal expected ways.

BAP= Broad Autism Phenotype. People who are inbetween autistic and allistic. They are inbetween the two dharing many autistic traits but not enough to be classed as autistic, but neither are they allistic either! Probably the best of both worlds depending on the traits.

Common issues more likely associated with those who are on the spectrum.

Meltdowns. 60% of those on the spectrum experience meltdowns.

Shutdowns. 60% of those on the spectrum experience shutdowns. Shutdowns can also present themselves in physical forms which can confuse the medical profession as they are largely not aware of this and try and look for other subjects to explain this if the individual experiencing them is undiagnosed and unaware they are autistic.

A lucky 20% of those on the spectrum do not experience meltdowns or shutdowns.
Under normal circumstances, an allistic individual is unlikely to xperience meltdowns or shutdowns, but under extreme pressure it is more than possible.

Very few autistic people have not had their autism since birth and the rare cases that have developed autism are mostly caused by severe road traffic accidents.
Autism is caused by the result of brain connections not connecting as they should connect. During brain growth development, it is common with those with autistic minds that brain growth gets diverted into other areas to compensate for the lack of growth in other areas, so one could be a complete genius in one area but lackng in others. The excessive brain growth in other areas also accounts for unusual abilities and hypersensitivities.

There are other common conditions associated with autism which health professionals may miss. Example is that over 80% of those who have a condition called prosopragnosia (Faceblindness) are also on the autism spectrum for obvious reasons.
A few years ago it was realized that many blind people (Blind since birth) are very likely to be on the spectrum, as health professionals had not realized the obvious! They assumed the unusual traits that blind people had were associated with blindness and had not considered they could be autistic which has caused their blindness. It was a recent shock discovery which if one thinks of what autism actually is, it is pretty obvious...

Many autistic individuals often can get completely missdiagnosed with bipolar. It is vital that health professionals learn the difference between the two.
Bipolar is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and due to this, the individuals with bipolar take around four days to go from a high to a low or a low to a high. With autism, some individuals can go from highs to lows in a single day or even in some cases, a single hour! It is vitally important for a correct diagnosis because if an autistic person is missdiagnosed, the bipolar medication can give them a chemical imbalance on top of their autism traits so their lives can be awful! (If bipolar is correctly diagnosed with an individual that had genuine bipolar, the great news for those with genuine bipolar is that one can medicate to regulate the brain chemicals so ones life an be significently improved!)

Now we have explored missing brain connections with extra brain connections (Autism), and chemical imbalances (Bipolar), but there is another common happening in the brain and that is the brain short circuiting its connections which causes fits. It is why people who are having fits may not be able to control their bodily movements as their brain messages are shorting, as their brains are sending the wrong signals to various parts of the body.

Of course with Autism, one can have both autism and other mentally related conditions and it is actually common.

Autism can NOT be treated with medication, BUT other conditions that autistic individuals can experience can be treated depending on what it is. Extreme depression, or anxiety can be treated through medication. (I would not advise to consider treating milder cases of above as the possible medical side effects and the possible medical addictions would not be worth the treating, but if such a condition is effecting ones daily life then medically treating them via medical drugs makes a difference, then go for it! But I would say to be cautious as the medical industry has been knkwn to push things for their own financial gain. (Why they keep saying they can "Cure" autism with this drug or that drug, which it had never been the case... All it had done is created wealth for the pharmasutical industries and created misery for the autistically minded!

There are many common conditions associated with autism such as prosopragnosia, dyslexia, dispraxia... The list goes on! The majority of these may not be in themselves medically treatable, but they can be a useful indicator that can point towards autism being the possible cause. Take dyslexia for example. It is most likely caused by brain connections not connecting like they should. A "Trait" that may or may not mean one is on the spectrum, as diagnosis is when either many traits are found or certain traits are significantly an issue... Don't forget that many allistic people can have traits, but their traits may not be enough to give them an autistic diagnosis.

There is also "Masking" which is a learned developed means to hide ones traits so as to look and be portrayed as "Normal" when meeting or being around others. It can also be used as a means to connect with people. Only downside to masking is a risk later in life of possible breakdowns as the mind is working overtime doing more than one thing at once over a prolonged period of time. It can also lead daily life to be exhausting!

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on Febuary 31st, 2026, 12:42 am, edited 126 time in total.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2024, 9:51 am

Since ArtNotes is new to the site, I am not sure that she knows how to get to the messages that everyone have been leaving for her. We need to contact her directly and provide a link to

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/

This is the location she can find the site.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2024, 10:00 am

jimmy m wrote:
Since ArtNotes is new to the site, I am not sure that she knows how to get to the messages that everyone have been leaving for her. We need to contact her directly and provide a link to

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/

This is the location she can find the site.

Just PM'd the new member and gave her the link like you said but I am puzzled because if she can't access this site, then how is she going to see the link I just PM'd her like you said? Or I am missing something obvious that I can't see at the moment?

Last edited by Mountain Goat on Febuary 31st, 2026, 12:42 am, edited 126 time in total.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2024, 10:45 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Just PM'd the new member and gave her the link like you said but I am puzzled because if she can't access this site, then how is she going to see the link I just PM'd her like you said? Or I am missing something obvious that I can't see at the moment?

I am not sure. But I think this is what happened.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2024, 11:23 am

Welcome to WP! I hope you find it worth repeated visits.

And, wow, Mountain Goat has done some good research. His post it great!

"how do you get notified of any replies?"
- Go to Wrong Planet
- On the banner at the top, select "Forums"
- In the upper right corner, select "My Account"
- Under "Options" select "Board preferences"
- Then select "» Edit posting defaults"
- And next to "Notify me upon replies by default:" choose "Yes"

And then disclaimers:

- I think you might have to include the second step above, selecting "Forums", even though it is not superficially obvious why you can't just select "My Account" sooner. It seems to make a difference when I do it.

- The software on the Wrong Planet server is old, odd, and not getting maintenance so it might act weird. (But, hey, it's worth every penny we pay to use it! :wink: )

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2024, 11:29 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2024, 11:29 am

I can see little faults on what I wrote as I missed out on two brackets. Did the start brackets but I forgot to include the end brackets and I saw a spelling mistype and it won't let me correct them.

ArtNotes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2024, 12:53 pm

Hi everyone! I have been getting your messages. I just haven't replied to any. I'm sorry. I so appreciate everyone's responses and help! I do look forward to being here and many times. I can see this is a wonderful community and I feel so welcome already.

Than you!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2024, 2:28 pm

ArtNotes wrote:
Hi everyone! I have been getting your messages. I just haven't replied to any. I'm sorry. I so appreciate everyone's responses and help! I do look forward to being here and many times. I can see this is a wonderful community and I feel so welcome already.

Than you!

You are welcome. Hope you get to learn how the site works. Don't worry if you don't get things to work straight away. Plenty of time to learn how to do things. What sort of internet device are you using as they can work in different ways. The PM messages on this tablet I am using are at the top right of the screen but on my Mums phone they are at the bottom right and harder to see. Computers may be different again.

ArtNotes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2024, 2:48 pm

I am using an android phone. I have never had a laptop or computer and have never had to use either. I honestly don't know what uploading/downloading means or how to do it or even anything to do with a PDF file. I will use trial and error to figure this out, but if I can't PM someone or leave a reply to someone who may have messaged me, I apologize. But I am receiving the messages from you guys. I am going to "forums", then clicking on my name/topic, then scrolling all the way down others' messages to me to see if I have any new ones. It'll just take me awhile.

It's funny, I also didn't know what DM or PM was until earlier this year or late last yr!