Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2006, 12:25 am

I am curious how common this behavior is among other people who have Asperger's syndrome. When I accomplish something that I feel was worthwhile and produced a result that I feel is good, I often end up admiring it for a few minutes. If I write something I think is funny, insightful, entertaining, or eloquent, I might reread it a few times. If I create an aesthetically pleasing Web design, I will frequently visit the webpage for a while just to look at it for a little while.

This doesn't happen often because I don't create as much as I probably should; but, when I somehow get myself to follow through and make something, this tends to happen. I rarely feel this sense of admiration for work I have been forced to do as classwork or the like, especially if my heart and soul, figuratively speaking, aren't in it.

Who else does this?

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2006, 12:47 am

Oh, I do that, too. I remember a science fair once that I entered all on my own in elementary school...I spent months learning about electricity and I eventually got my dad to let me wire something togther. And then I got to junior high where the science fair was mandatory, and I did some stupid thing on aerodynamics in about twenty minutes three days after the stupid thing was due. I still have my fourth grade project, but the sixth grade project I didn't even bother to take home.

The same thing with writing. When I write something of my own volition, I will reread it multiple times, keep it, and possibly post it online or show it to my mother and/or friends. But if I am forced to write something, I don't even do my best.

I wonder why that is.

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2006, 10:36 am

Yes, I do it all the time, and why not? If you've produced something that pleases you, it's worth being pleased by.

What I don't understand is why I then, for a long time, shelve it in embarrassment. It hasn;t changed; evidently I have.