Page 8 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

michikat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jul 2006, 9:06 pm

Hi, I'm new here... I just turned 50 and a week before my 50th birthday, my therapist told me that I have Aspergers. My nephew has it and I believe my father had it. My first reaction was relief and "Now I know what's wrong with me"... But now I'm SCARED about my future.... I currently work in an office where I have to sit in the front desk area and try to concentrate on my tasks. Interruptions are not tolerated very well, and I guess I have been rude to customers, not intentionally. My boss is putting more stress on me; I believe he thinks he can change me. I will have to tell him about my AS and I don't know if I'll have a job much longer. I have worked there 5 years and I must say I'm the only one there who has any concern for details... the rest of them seem to be social butterflies who are there to talk talk talk ... *sigh* .... Anybody else from Michigan??? older like me?

HaveThreeComputers
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2006, 2:30 pm

I'm 55 and just figured out like 2 weeks ago that I most likely suffered through something somewhere in the Autism Spectrum all my life. I feel like I've suddenly discovered that I'm not who I thought I was, but it's not a bad thing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2006, 3:58 pm

I'm 31, and I did think that I've missed out on Life, at first. Than I've thought about all my Hobbies and Interests that I wouldn't have, if I was out, partying all the time.

overflow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jul 2006, 7:01 am

32 here, just found out what to call what I've been living with for the past 10-15 years, perhaps longer.

MrMark
Abstract Data Type
Abstract Data Type

05 Jul 2006, 2:03 pm

[quote="jdbob"]I'm 49, you know, an old guy.
I'm 48. Who you callin' old?! :D

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2006, 2:44 pm

Shelob wrote:
You were diagnosed last year at 31? And you'll be 33 in November? I'm afraid to ask, but... on the 16th? They would be not one, not two but three coincidences! 8O :lol:

My birthday is also November 16, that's creepy, 3 here and how many more? Welcome to the twilight zone. Many born in November too.

But I'm not 33, I'm 46, and have known I was different since I was a kid, but was scared of the idea, so I denied it. When I was a teenager I could accept being exentric.

I would have liked to go to a special school, and have a person that could support me more than my parents could, my father was an aspie, and my mother...., well she was something, they were both depressed.

I heard about it four years ago, I found out for sure two years ago. Selfdiagnosed, luckily I don't need a job, I have a pension due to a spinal deformity. It's a great relief to know who you are, to be here with "my kind of people", to stop trying to be "normal"
more relief than sadness.

I'm so deeply moved by all your stories, life has been very hard on some of us.
I'm still trying to figure out what comes next, for now I do things that makes me happy.
I deserve that.

Oh, yes I do feel younger, I feel like I'm a 12 year old boy in a 46 year old womans body. I miss playing, having no responsibillities, and relate well to kids that age.
Weird, but true.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 9:43 am

I'm 32. Ever since I can remember, I've felt that something about me was different, but my difficulties with people seem to have become worse in my adult years. My only theories for that is that perhaps children tend to be more honest and straightforward socially anyway, or that - more likely - I think I assumed for many years that everybody thought more or less like me and it was only later that I realized that they didn't and how different I actually was.

Sometimes it's almost like big parts of me got stuck at about 8 years old. I wondered for a while if I was retarded.

I'm yet to be officially diagnosed - hoping to get that soon. All the online tests I've tried say that it's 'very likely' I have some degree of AS. Eighty percent of what I've read about it just seems to fit with me.

starling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jul 2006, 12:13 pm

I'm 38. This year I found out I have Aspergers. I'm fine with it. Lots of things fall into place. Now I'm busy turning back all the things I tried to adjust to :mrgreen:

Anna
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2006, 2:59 pm

Corcovado wrote:
Shelob wrote:
You were diagnosed last year at 31? And you'll be 33 in November? I'm afraid to ask, but... on the 16th? They would be not one, not two but three coincidences! 8O :lol:

My birthday is also November 16, that's creepy, 3 here and how many more? Welcome to the twilight zone. Many born in November too.

But I'm not 33, I'm 46, and have known I was different since I was a kid, but was scared of the idea, so I denied it. When I was a teenager I could accept being exentric.

I'm 42, born November 17. EDIT: Oops. I'm not 42, I'm 43. Brainfart.

I was a weirdo in school, and had social troubles at work. I finally found out about Aspergers because my son was diagnosed. I just finally got diagnosed (today!) so that I could get accommodations at my new school. I'm finally going for my bachelor degree.

Last edited by Anna on 13 Jul 2006, 9:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.

haggismonger
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jul 2006, 5:29 pm

33 here, I don't think I missed much, or missed out on much, because if I had changed back then, I wouldn't be me now, so I'm ok with who I have turned out to be, so I guess that's it.

Hellfire418
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2006, 8:18 pm

31 here

accept
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jul 2006, 8:43 pm

I'm also 31.

Madcap
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jul 2006, 9:25 am

Hi,

I'm 39 and have only recently been diagnosed. Yeah, I reckon it's had a fairly large impact on my life - some for the better and some not so i guess. One of my daughters also has the condition but she's only 14 so will undoubtedly adapt accordingly (although we share many hobbies and pastimes).

I'm glad I know now tho... Square peg and all that!

:D

muchacha
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jul 2006, 9:47 am

Well, I finally decided I should check this thread out as I'm now just 8 days away from that dreaded milestone. I just wanted to find a thread where I'd still be the youngest person. :lol: It is good to know that not everyone on WP is all school-age, I definitely agree that there are huge generational differences between people with AS in our generation, and those born earlier.

If I would say anything about my age and how it relates to AS, I really do wish I had known
about it earlier - like when my parents were frantically trying to find out what was wrong with me at age 8, taking me to child psychiatrists and whoever they thought could help. I guess back then that they only had textbook definitions of AS to work with and figured that I could make eye contact, so scrap that idea.

To have even had some idea that there was something like AS going on with me at an earlier age would have helped me to avoid making some of the downright bloody stupid mistakes that I've made in my life, some of which have forced me to switch careers more than once in my life already. I had planned to have much more stability and security in my life by this age than I do now. With a bit more anger management and a better understanding of my limitations and how to overcome them, I might be doing a bit more now than just rotting away in some key-punching job that pays the rent, feeds me and allows for the odd bit of recreation on the weekend.

On the positive side though, I think that not knowing kind of meant pushing myself to adapt to the real world to a certain extent, to realise that no skills are entirely impossible for Aspies to learn, just a LOT harder. I don't know if younger Aspies today are going to
learn those skills in quite the same way, but I don't want to start getting the whole well-in-MY-day mentality about it. I think only time will tell. :)