Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Task
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jan 2010, 11:49 am

It's now been two weeks since I read the article (The Alternate View) in my Analog that changed everything.
I've always know that I was simply awful at handling social situations, but to suddenly learn that all the problems I've had dealing with people, and the things that I do easily that others find a little extrordanary all have a single root cause... Well, it was somewhat overwhelming.
I've been learning what I can about it, reading lots as I typically do.
The "Books" section here is somewhat helpful in that it points what what I imagine are some of the best books on the topic, but there's a specific kind of book I'm looking for now and I'm not sure which one it is. There's no serious description attached to each book, so it's hard to tell in some cases what it's about.
What I'm looking for is something like a book about the traits of Asperger's. Each of the common elements discussed in it's own section. I'd like to know which of my traits are likely attributable to the AS, and which aren't. The ones that are, I'd like to know what the NT behaviour is that I'm missing. That should help me improve my "fake normal" routine, which is always good.
That "Freaks, Geeks, and AS" book looks like something I'll have to read at one point, and the "Other Half" book might be good for my wife if she's interested.
But the main book I want is one where I can go through the list and say "got that one, got that one, not that one, not that one..." and learn about each trait.
I'm hoping such a book exists? And I'll bet that if it does then someone here will have read it...

Thanks,
J

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 12:23 pm

Hello Task, welcome to Wrong Planet!

I'm not sure such a book exists.

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 12:54 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Jan 2010, 1:15 pm

ImageTo WrongPlanet! !!Image

Task
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jan 2010, 11:41 pm

Scientist wrote:
I'm not sure such a book exists.

Well.... crap.
I was kind of hoping there was a reference book that everyone knew about and I just hadn't seen mentioned anywhere. 8 P

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 11:58 pm

The australian Aspergers expert Tony Attwood has a great reputation and from what I have read of his writings they have a lot of clarity. Perhaps you could check out your local library for books of his ?
:D

A Thursday child ..

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 9:51 pm

I'm betting there is such a book published by Jessica Kingsly Publishing or Future Horizons. I just can't think of one right now. I read a lot fewer autism books now than I did years ago. My son recognized himself in Through Alien Eyes. I recognized myself in Thinking In Pictures and lots and lots of posts in WrongPlanet.
So many things cohere now that before seemed to be random quirks. I spend some time meditating on where I hurt people with absolutely no intent to do so. And I can forgive the people that hurt me because I bothered them even if they could not articulate how.
I wish you well here.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 8:50 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet. :)

Jpeg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jan 2010, 3:58 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet!

Shadow-Fox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jan 2010, 5:04 am

I agree with *mysassyself*. I'm an Australian and Tony Attwood is a leader here in the Asperian field. His books from what i have read are really good. I cant remember if it was him or another author but my diagnoser got me to read some things that described exactly what you are after. I'm sorry to say though but i cant quite remember what they were. I could ask her/my diagnoser if you like. But Tony Attwood's books are definately a good read. Very helpfull. I'd suggest reading them anyway! He has a site where you can get a list of books he's published. It's: www.tonyattwood.com.au
I know one of his books was called: The complete guide to Aspergers Syndrome!
Hopefully this helps!

weeksend
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2010, 3:22 pm

Welcomto WrongPlanet.