An Otaku Gamer Cartoonist Author All-Around-Weirdo Aspie

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

SunsetHero
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Feb 2010, 6:30 am

Hajimemashite! ^_^

26 year old here from Louisiana in the US of A, with a 13-year old mild AS diagnosis (is it even possible to get even MILDER than mild autism/AS? hahaha). Thought I'd might as well join the club too. I'll keep my intro pithy (well as good as an aspie can, haha!).

Not to boast or brag, but apparently I'm a miracle. I survived years of misdiagnoses, useless meds, and even more useless special ed classes, and went on to finish all of high school (with honors!) and college, even when doctors thought I would never make it.

Took psychology to figure out my disorder more, and wound up vowing to become a therapist, in spite of my condition. Diploma in hand, this little aspie that could was pretty sure he could take on the world. Boy was I wrong! Three months in and I got fired from a psych hospital job. So I meandered for another year, delivered pizzas, got rejected from the army, and eventually came to my senses some time later with much needed humility. I'm back in school again for visual arts and a concentration in animation.

My interests are gaming and animation. Cartoons are like my life force; I've never been without them, either drawing or watching! I also dabble in science fiction with an upcoming story I'm working on. Focus is a big problem I face with in getting it done, but I'm sure I'll prevail.

I won't talk yer ears off much longer. If you like anime/gaming/geek stuff, hit me up with some chat or what not. See ya guys later!
Ja ne! ^_^

Last edited by SunsetHero on 07 Feb 2010, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Feb 2010, 6:55 am

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2010, 7:11 am

Hello SunsetHero,

SunsetHero wrote:
Took psychology to figure out my disorder more, and wound up vowing to become a therapist, in spite of my condition. Diploma in hand, this little aspie that could was pretty sure he could take on the world. Boy was I wrong! Three months in and I got fired from a psych hospital job.
Welcome, from aspie psychologist Scientist ;)

Enjoy your stay on the Wrong Planet!

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

Kaizer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2010, 8:38 am

welcome to wrong planet :D hope you enjoy your time here

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2010, 10:11 am

Sugoii! Konnichi-of-the-wa, dude!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 1:13 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet. :)

TenisuBaka
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2010, 2:19 am

Hello,

I am in Japan, so if you ever want to ask question about culture or need some help related to Japan, I would be happy to help.
Do you actually study Japanese? 日本語読める?

SunsetHero
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Feb 2010, 2:38 am

TenisuBaka wrote:
Hello,

I am in Japan, so if you ever want to ask question about culture or need some help related to Japan, I would be happy to help.
Do you actually study Japanese? 日本語読める?

Used to study it frequently about 5 years ago but I got frustrated with it. Didn't have anybody to practice with and it is just a pain in general to learn a new language. I know from psychology how language is difficult for aspies and autistics to learn. So I really have no idea how I might make it easier on myself to study it except from memorizing subtitles from anime that I watch. lol

I'm writing a story with Japanese and Chinese characters in it and knowing their languages are going to be somewhat important, so I can't give up on it. I could always use as much help as I can get! =)

TenisuBaka
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2010, 2:41 am

Cool.

I wouldn't recommend trying to study from subtitles though, they are usually pretty bad. I always read the subtitles as I watch Hollywood movies here, they never really express the same amount and/or intensity of the emotion being conveyed by the English. And sometimes, like at least once every single movie, there is a complete and utterly incorrect translation of a line of dialogue.

Keifer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Feb 2010, 6:37 pm

You're awesome. Dig the avatar by the way.

Ad
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2010, 9:09 am

Hello, welcome to WP. Hope you enjoy your stay.

I love cartoons :D

WoundedDog
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2010, 11:10 pm

Hi there. I'm a gaming/animation fan as well. :)

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 11:33 pm

+1 to the otaku population. Nice.

Anyways, what anime are you into? My personal favorites atm are Code Geass, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and Umineko no Naku Koro Ni. I've also been reading the Robotech sci-fi book series, which has inspired me to get back into the Macross anime series.

Anyways, welcome from your friendly WDF Veritech pilot!

- Roxas

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.