Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Minxz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2010, 1:27 pm

My name is Emily I am happily married to an Aspie. Actually we just found out for sure that he has Asperger's so I am doing research and learning about it. My hope is to learn to communicate more effectively.

I also noticed there is some talk about personality types using Myers-Briggs/ Keirsey. I am an INFP and my husband is an INTJ for those that share an interest in such things.

I am looking forward to getting to know you!

AspieForty
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Apr 2010, 1:36 pm

Minxz wrote:
My name is Emily I am happily married to an Aspie. Actually we just found out for sure that he has Asperger's so I am doing research and learning about it. My hope is to learn to communicate more effectively.

Well, you're both lucky because many of us Aspies never have a successful relationship.. he's lucky to have found you, and that you're patient and genuinely concerned.

"Chaos, Panic, Pandemonium, My Work Here Is Done."

SnowWhite88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2010, 1:45 pm

Hello, welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Minxz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2010, 1:51 pm

Thank You SnowWhite and AspieForty! We were fortunate to find each other. Like every marriage we have our challenges but he is a wonderful kind and intelligent man. He takes good care of me and I do my best to take good care of him.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 1:52 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Apr 2010, 2:57 pm

ImageTo WrongPlanet!! !Image

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 3:20 pm

Pleased to meet you, Emily. Welcome to the Wrong Planet.

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 1:19 am

Hello Emily, welcome, enjoy your stay on the Wrong Planet!

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

theimperiousdork
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 6:03 am

Hello and Welcome!! !

JazzofLife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2010, 8:53 pm

Minxz wrote:

I also noticed there is some talk about personality types using Myers-Briggs/ Keirsey. I am an INFP and my husband is an INTJ for those that share an interest in such things.

I am looking forward to getting to know you!

Hi Emily.. congrats on your marriage. I am glad that the two of you are happily married. Certainly don't have any jealousy towards anyone who's happily married. I would hope one day that others would celebrate my marriage as well. True, it does seem like many people with AS aren't married or happily married. Nice to know you are taking a proactive stance in learning more about your husband's difference. There's also a AS group on Yahoo I belong to in addition to here. It's called Aspires-relationships and can be found at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/as ... ationships. I've been a member of that group after shortly being diagnosed officially with AS and AD/HD back in the fall of 2007. Heard about this group a few weeks ago from there.

I'd be curious to read about what you two have done to make your marriage strong in all of this. Again, congrats to the both of you.

Scott

Dx'd with AS and AD/HD Combined in 2007

Interests: Music, great outdoors (beach/mountains), cooking/baking, philosophy, arts/sciences, reading, writing, sports, spirituality, Green, sus

Minxz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2010, 2:47 pm

Thank you all for your warm welcomes.

Jazz. There is not one answer to your question about how we maintain a happy marriage. We have been married for 5 years. The things that drew me to him were often the things that made him "different". As someone who has often felt an outsider myself I could empathize with him. When his idiosyncrasies do rub me wrong I remember that I love him because he is not a cookie cutter person. Besides there are always things that rub you wrong when you live in close quarters with someone I know I annoy him as well at times.

Additionally we are both extremely committed. Our marriage is a life decision. Our relationship started out as friendship so even before romance got involved we enjoyed the company of one another. DAn makes a concerted effort to make me feel emotionally secure. I know this can be tough for him since stating what to him seems obvious to him seems redundant but I never feel unloved which from what I can tell is a big bonus for an aspie relationship as in my reading I’ve found that a LOT of aspies struggle with expressing affection. Dan is hyper sensitive to touch but he does like me to touch him which again works in our favor.

The fact that I am not a social butterfly probably helps as well. He craves interaction more than I do but has such a hard time connecting and communicating with people that I find watching him struggle and yearn very painful. I do my best to find like minded people to associate with but the pool in our area especially is very small.
I guess all in all the fact that we really like each other. We enjoy being around each other even if it’s just quite time while he works on one of his projects and I read a book it helps us maintain closeness.

JazzofLife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2010, 11:15 pm

Minxz wrote:
Thank you all for your warm welcomes.

Jazz. There is not one answer to your question about how we maintain a happy marriage. We have been married for 5 years. The things that drew me to him were often the things that made him "different". As someone who has often felt an outsider myself I could empathize with him. When his idiosyncrasies do rub me wrong I remember that I love him because he is not a cookie cutter person. Besides there are always things that rub you wrong when you live in close quarters with someone I know I annoy him as well at times.

Additionally we are both extremely committed. Our marriage is a life decision. Our relationship started out as friendship so even before romance got involved we enjoyed the company of one another. DAn makes a concerted effort to make me feel emotionally secure. I know this can be tough for him since stating what to him seems obvious to him seems redundant but I never feel unloved which from what I can tell is a big bonus for an aspie relationship as in my reading I’ve found that a LOT of aspies struggle with expressing affection. Dan is hyper sensitive to touch but he does like me to touch him which again works in our favor.

The fact that I am not a social butterfly probably helps as well. He craves interaction more than I do but has such a hard time connecting and communicating with people that I find watching him struggle and yearn very painful. I do my best to find like minded people to associate with but the pool in our area especially is very small.
I guess all in all the fact that we really like each other. We enjoy being around each other even if it’s just quite time while he works on one of his projects and I read a book it helps us maintain closeness.

So glad to read your response. Like your idea much that everything started out in friendship before romance happened. The way it should be in my estimation. Love is when friendship catches fire, as you both know. I am glad to see he has helped make things emotionally secure with you. Yeah a lot of Aspies struggle with expressing affection. A few years ago, I would have been like that. Now, with accepting, liking, and loving myself as I am, I won't see any problems with expressing affection to a woman. I've got a lot of things going in my favor, and the qualities I have will make me look rather favorably in the eyes of a woman. I don't expect that she'll be a total social butterfly. But if she is, I kinda suspect she'll tone that down when around me. I am not the most social butterfly myself. However, I can connect and communicate with some people better than I do others. Nice knowing you both really like each other.

Dx'd with AS and AD/HD Combined in 2007

Interests: Music, great outdoors (beach/mountains), cooking/baking, philosophy, arts/sciences, reading, writing, sports, spirituality, Green, sus