Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

cdslashetc
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jun 2010, 1:21 pm

Gray Owl is my own name that I have for myself, I think it would be interesting to use that here rather than my given name Jonathan Dill. As a child I thought of myself as Golden Eagle. Very few people know that about me. I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome April 23rd, 2010 at age 41. My wife describes me as Dr. Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds which is fairly accurate, especially his manner of speaking, but I only have a Bachelor's degree in English. I related to "Look Me In The Eye" although my internal thinking process is very well described in "The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Nighttime" and the character Lisbeth Salinder in Steig Larsson's novels. I want to get a wasp tattoo probably on one of my triceps but my wife is against it, probably just as well because my obsession with Lisbeth Salinder will probably go away at some point, but then I'd still be left with the tattoo. I do have a Lemony Snicket tattoo however, VFD on the right ankle as I am a noble, not treacherous, volunteer (psst the world is quiet here). I have Crohn's Disease diagnosed August of 2008, currently on Humira every 2 weeks and a bunch of other meds, mostly in remission but having sporadic problems with large joint pain and fatigue. I talk to computers, video games and computers have been my most enduring obsession, but I don't think of it as particularly special about me because it's like breathing or eating or going to the bathroom, just something I do without thinking much about it. I am currently involved in a traffic signal modernization project, when the project is complete it is projected to cover about 1200 intersections. Music especially bass guitar is a current obsession. I love Sparklehorse, A Camp, and Charlotte Hatherley to name a few, but mainly I am obsessed with Sparklehorse and Mark Linkous and the weird and cool things he did with sound until he committed suicide by shooting himself through the heart with a rifle in March of this year (apparently, he wasn't taking any chances). I have a very good but not quite photographic memory, I am learning to control it and access it deliberately, certain things like songs are keys that unlock very detailed memories going as far back as about 2 years old. I started on Deplin when I was diagnosed and it has really changed my life, I find that I am better able to steer my associative thinking process and do less unintentional daydreaming--I enjoy daydreaming, but during work hours, it's not something people really want to pay you to do. I did enjoy that about working retail, especially stocking shelves when I didn't have to interact with customers, because it was repetitive work that did not require my attention, so I could daydream to my heart's content, but it's hard work and the pay sucks, my joints and mostly being on my feet would not be up to that now. Oh yeah, I'm married I forget how many years now to a woman I have been in a relationship with for almost 24 years and I have an 11 year old daughter, Jasmine.

clovismackintosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2010, 2:02 pm

Hello Gray Owl,

I enjoyed reading your introductory biography, I guess I should do the same sometime soon. Like me you've chosen a name for yourself (mine's a bit plainer, but I still think it sounds 'cool'!).

Like me you got your diagnosis late in life - but few doctors here in the UK seem to have understood and properly been able to recognise AS till relatively recently.

Having people around you that understand you must help and it seems your lucky to have a good family

cdslashetc
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jun 2010, 3:26 pm

Hi Alex, so is Clovis Mackintosh the name you have given yourself? In elementary school, I had a fascination with Indians at one point and my dad taught me about them, I even spent a few months working on an archeological dig between 5th and 6th grade, so that had a lot to do with it. I know a few Lakota and an Ojibwe, they have told me that although "Indian" is inaccurate, they prefer that to "Native American" which they find offensive, but I don't know if all Indians feel that way. Anyway, all that has a lot to do with my choice of names, of course there is a lot more to the whole story than that. I neglected to mention Sweet Pea, she is a Jack Russell Terrier I guess about 4 years old (we got her from a shelter so can't be 100% certain). I spend the most time with Sweet Pea, at home she follows me everywhere, and she curls up with me when I'm not feeling well.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 3:48 pm

Welcome to Wrongplanet, Gray Owl, congrats on being diagnosed! :)

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Jun 2010, 4:08 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

clovismackintosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2010, 4:12 pm

Hi Gary Owl, y

Yes that's right Clovis Mackintosh is my chosen name. I got the Clovis part from a character in a series of short stories written in about 1916 (HH Munro). Since then I've become aware that there's a Clovis culture in North America and a town is it two towns? called Clovis - I know there's one in CA perhaps there's a second in New Mexico, I'm not certain.

I live in England, so while aware of the Native American/Indian distinction don't really know the 'rules'.

I have always found it odd - actually stupid and annoying - that people associate identity with our names. I am the same person whatever I am called, and I think of my identity in terms of what I am and who I am rather than what my parents decided to call me - but try telling that to the cops!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 4:23 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 5:51 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet, and welcome to my Mid-60s time warp. :)

cdslashetc
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jun 2010, 6:38 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Welcome to WrongPlanet, and welcome to my Mid-60s time warp. :)

Hey! I've got a mid-60's vintage Ludwig pearl set with real Zildjian cymbals! Unfortunately, my parents lost the drum stool and a couple other parts last time they moved, including the drum pedal, which was stored inside the seat :(

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 9:08 pm

Greetings, Gray Owl, and welcome aboard the Wrong Planet.

cdslashetc
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jun 2010, 9:34 pm

JetLag wrote:
Greetings, Gray Owl, and welcome aboard the Wrong Planet.

True story, when I was a kid one summer I went to the hair salon with my grandma and The National Inquirer had an article about how you could tell if you were really an alien--headaches, allergies, strange abilities. Rationally, I knew the Inquirer was rubbish, but a part of me always wondered if just maybe. I never managed to do telekinesis or communicate with people psychically, but I did try, having been influence by the original Witch Mountain movie series in the 70's. So, How do I contact the Mother Ship? ET phone home.

AngryJessman
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jun 2010, 10:55 am

Welcome, Awesome name!

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 12:26 pm

Hello Gray Owl, welcome, enjoy your stay on the Wrong Planet!

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 1:11 pm

Welcome aboard!

Treehugger
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jun 2010, 6:11 pm

Hellow Gray owl, You will love The 'Wrong Planet, cool People, and Intelligent information! :D

Amber-Miasma
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jun 2010, 6:19 pm

Welcome :D

I love your name and I also prefer a name/title with a personal meaning :)

Hope you enjoy your time here.