Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ninszot
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2010, 5:35 pm

I was directed to this website by Autism Calgary Association - the suggestion was that I might benifit to find other people like me, and yes many of the posts resonate strongly and I am confident that this time they may have a label that seems acurate.

How do you explain to an NT that your problems are caused by a physical difference in the structure and function of the brain . . . not a self esteem problem . . . not simply depression?

(albeit the conversation is somewhat depressing!)

I wish I could get a councellor to help me make a plan to get my life in order. It's great that I have this information about myself but what do I do with it? People seem to believe that I am very high functioning because it was not diagnosed untill 31, and prefer to believe that if I had a better attitude I wouldn't be saying things like "disabled" or "need help".

The facts remain - despite my supposed high IQ, I have lived in this province an entire year and haven't made a singe friend. Last year I earned $4000.00. I have succeeded in 3 training courses and failed to maintain work in any of these fields. Employer feed back has included "you aren't worth being payed" and "You're uesless" . . . but when I ask for help to stratagize a work search, or how to apply for social assistance, my family says "You don't need that. You just need to start thinking more positivly and go out and do it!"

ARGH!

How do I access "services"

I think I qualify for some kind of financial support while I figure things out - but how do I get someone who understands Asperger's and can put all the steps in front of me and answer all my questions so I know what to do?

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Aug 2010, 5:39 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 6:30 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet. :D

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 7:26 pm

ninszot wrote:
my family says "You don't need that. You just need to start thinking more positivly and go out and do it!"

Yeah, I've heard that a few thousand times. My family was full of that sh*t, too. Once I was diagnosed and they realized they'd been pushing and berating someone with a handicap for 49 years, they finally shut the hell up, and were actually supportive when I applied for assistance. Of course by then they'd watched me go out into the world, fail, get up again, go back out into the world, fail, get up again, go back out and fail enough times to realize there was something unusual going on there.

Most other people though, do not get it to this day.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 10:05 pm

Greetings and welcome to the Wrong Planet forums, ninszot.

wrathofnero
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2010, 1:01 am

Don't let anyone tell you that you're useless. Find a job that offers very little interaction with the outside world. There are plenty out there and I guarantee you can excel at them!