Hello folks, I want to make a good impression and intro...

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

daveybaby
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Sep 2010, 5:08 pm

I've been on the forum before, but I haven't been here in maybe a year or 2 so I feel a reintroduction is in order...

I just finished my unergrad studies, and then I did an Americorps term of service in a city I'm not going to name, teaching some of the Abbot district (that is urban-youth) students how to play chess, add, and read a little. I've had some crazy experiences there maybe I'll tell people here about.

The main reason I'm returning (if anyone remembers, I have no clue) is because most of the relationships I've had have dried up. I have HAD them in HS, but that was a distantly long time ago. That leaves me alone, with my thoughts, and they can turn into too much to deal with.

Now I am determined to have at least a somewhat comfortable life out of isolation, and any insight or help anyone here can offer will be greatly appreciated. And anyone who's in the need of ADVICE (cause I don't know how much help I can give) is welcome to ask. I was at a point where I had to leave school and was alone in my house. I picked my but up, asked for help and then got back in and finished.

alex
Developer
Developer

25 Sep 2010, 5:25 pm

Welcome to wrong planet

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 6:20 pm

Welcome welcome welcome to the mysterious planet called "WrongPlanet" and I shall be every new person's tour guide for today....... :D

trekster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Sep 2010, 6:32 pm

Welcome back to WP.

Have you attempted to find groups relating to your interests? Are there any adult autism social groups in your area? Im also an undergrad but can have access to many social aspie groups in my area.

Life isnt always logical Mr Spock

If you are from the UK then try http://aspievilla.byethost15.com/PHPBB2/index.php i moderate on that site a

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 6:37 pm

Welcome back to the neighborhood, daveybaby.

daveybaby

25 Sep 2010, 9:36 pm

trekster wrote:
Welcome back to WP.

Have you attempted to find groups relating to your interests? Are there any adult autism social groups in your area? Im also an undergrad but can have access to many social aspie groups in my area.

I've been trying to find groups that share my interests. Its incredibly uncomfortable, but I am forcing myself out, and its been rough but I'm managing.

I've been to a couple support groups in my area, the problem is, the spectrum there is too broad. There's people there with Asperger's and more people that seem Autistic. I think I'm better off looking into my interest, where there will inevitably be some folks with Asperger's.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 10:15 pm

Welcome back! I am The Ghost!

trekster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Sep 2010, 7:42 am

daveybaby wrote:
trekster wrote:
Welcome back to WP.

I've been trying to find groups that share my interests. Its incredibly uncomfortable, but I am forcing myself out, and its been rough but I'm managing.

I've been to a couple support groups in my area, the problem is, the spectrum there is too broad. There's people there with Aspergers and more people that seem Autistic. I think I'm better off looking into my interest, where there will inevitably be some folks with Aspergers.

What are your interests?

If you are from the UK then try http://aspievilla.byethost15.com/PHPBB2/index.php i moderate on that site a

trekster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Sep 2010, 7:42 am

KyleTheGhost wrote:

i love your signature and location great fun :lol:

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 11:12 am

Welcome.

amaxim
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Sep 2010, 11:47 am

Welcome back to WP. :) I'd be interested to hear of your experiences.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 6:28 pm

I would like to hear your stories too.

daveybaby

27 Sep 2010, 5:21 am

Well, as regards my experiences in the city, I've been dealing with a very interesting group of kids. A lot of people (including me) have a tendancy to misread their facial expressions, which can range anywhere from always smiling to always scowling with a look of impending doom. It took me awhile to realize that the look is not necessary a reflection of their reaction towards you.

The kids are great, my co-workers are all right, and I won't get into it too much. I've had a principal in one school scream at me to look him in the eyes (although I did sort of deserve to get yelled at for making a bunch of mistakes in the beginning) but luckily the organization I'm working for moved me to another school (they've been watching out for me at a superhuman sort of level).

So yeah, I'm great at it this year, I've been using incentives (rewards) to keep them in line as opposed to screaming at them which I realized last year wasn't working.

Anyway my interests are kind of typical. I love gaming, animals, kids, woods, and the fantasy-horror genre. I'm reading Stephen King's Dark Tower right now.

IamTheWalrus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2010, 8:10 am

Welcome back!

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 10:30 am

trekster wrote:
KyleTheGhost wrote: