Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2006, 10:15 am

I heard that people with Asperger's Sydrome can get better. Over the years my physiatrists had said that I am getting better and better as I get older. They said I had a 50% chance of getting better when I was 2. Have any of you been doing better?

Emily Danielle Brown

Mordy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2006, 10:42 am

Captain_Brown wrote:
I heard that people with Asperger's Sydrome can get better. Over the years my physiatrists had said that I am getting better and better as I get older. They said I had a 50% chance of getting better when I was 2. Have any of you been doing better?

Emily Danielle Brown

Forget the "professional" help if you are an aspie...

I've made the most progress by finding the pickup community, it's as if it was designed for aspies by aspie like people (people with no social skills).

It centers around guys but the the basic fact is that it revolves around peoples lack of social skills, you will learn A LOT about socializing from the material even if you are a female! It's amazing.

The big thing you need to do is:

Force yourself to socialize every day to some degree and go out at night... join the forums in pickup community and if you live in teh city, find guys or other gals to go out with (there are gals too in the pickup community)... many people in pickup simply MUST have been aspies... read the Venusian arts handbook on theories of conversation and social interaction it is ENLIGHTENING to say the least. Also double your dating, by david de-angelo is a good primer on being a better person in general.

Some good places to start are:

www.sosuave.net
http://www.mysterymethod.com/forum/

Last edited by Mordy on 16 Jun 2006, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emoal6
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jun 2006, 10:43 am

The thing about "getting better" is not that you are actually improving in a healthwise way. You don't get better from something thats not a disease. To get better with AS is merely to become more prepared for the world. To improve your personality, not to say you are bad because you have as, but as in you begin to notice the social rules more, you begin to fit in a little better. You're always going to be different, but you will learn in time to accept this and learn how to use it to your advantage instead of it being used against you. In that sense, you can, "Get better". You simply learn to live with it, and sometimes around it.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2006, 12:32 pm

Uhh. I am talking about in my mind, anyone who has autism will have it forever, but their minds can get better.

subatai_baadur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2006, 12:41 pm

No, if one of those shrinks says you're getting better, you're getting worse. Autism is the peak of the mind in most ways. It sharpens senses, increases memory in many cases, and usually makes people significantly smarter. There is no such thing as better with Autism. You are as good as you're getting. It's the rest of the world that needs bettering.

jaguars_fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2006, 12:42 pm

I believe that those that have AS will have it for life. However I believe it is a spiritual gift from God which starts out as a curse and turns into a blessing. I have to say I have becoming a bit more socal mature as time goes on and I'm seeing myself more independant. There are still things I'm trying to work at to try to fit in with NTs.

Mordy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2006, 12:43 pm

Captain_Brown wrote:
Uhh. I am talking about in my mind, anyone who has autism will have it forever, but their minds can get better.

What is wrong with your mind? Autism effects your behaviour, so what exactly do you want "in your mind" to get better? be specific... you're being really vague.

You're AS will really never "go away", once you are aware of how your brain works only then can you take steps to ruduce your obsessions and step out of your comfort zone.

jammie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jun 2006, 12:50 pm

i think aspeger doesent get better but you either find a way to cope with it, or a way to hide it. for me i spent the last few years hiding from it, no i am biggining to learn to cope with it.

jammie

$lion = "constant";
$lil_lion = "escape";
$baby = "dum dum, babo";
$jammie = $lion."sheepy and my comforts";

$jamie = $lion.$lil_lion.$baby.$jammie;
?>

jman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2006, 12:56 pm

In order for an aspie to truely get "better" is to see their difference for what it really is. It is when you stop using your AS as an excuse and start doing things to change your behavior and thinking.It is when you are able to see the advantages of AS and use them to improve quality of life.

It is through the process of self-actualization that an aspie can truely thrive. Knowing their strengths and weaknesses and use them to shape their life. You can do anything you put your mind to within the realm of your abilities.

Don't ever let a proffessional say "you can't do X because you have Y'.

It is also about celebrating your uniqeness. Knowing that you're not another soulless lemming in a topsy turby world that rewards conformity. You should acknowledge your authenticty with ectasy. As you do this you will begin to love yourself more, people will become naturally attracted to you. They will think"Hmmm, what is it about this person's life that makes him so cool?' and they will want to be part of your life.

Just some food for thought. :)

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2006, 1:01 pm

Jman,

Everything everyone is telling me to do I am doing, even what you say :)

Emily

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jun 2006, 1:29 pm

Captain_Brown wrote:
Jman,

Everything everyone is telling me to do I am doing, even what you say :)

Emily

Except for the advice about going out every night, I hope!

Cap'n, because you write so maturely it's hard to tell that you're an 11 year old girl...if you mention it in your posts or your signature, it would help us to know not to say inappropriate stuff.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2006, 1:49 pm

captain Brown,

You;re only 11? You write so elegantly for an 11 year old. Another strength for you to celebrate! :D