Post ONE fact about yourself (and your asperger's)

Page 1 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

PenitentSpark
Raven
Raven

21 Jun 2006, 12:59 pm

aspiegirl2 wrote:
I am a musician. I can imagine ensemble music in my head, or ones that I make myself (although I've never written a piece of it down). I can also draw in extreme detail, and I have memories clear to when I was 2 or 3 years old. I don't know if my AS can be considered mild; there are certain parts that can be considered mild in some's AS, but then there are certain parts that can be said to be severe. I'm not quite sure; but I think that it's in between severe and mild.

Argh I'm just about the opposite. My memory is horrible except for random things and subjects I enjoy, and I can't draw to save someone's life.

mysteriouslyabsent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jun 2006, 5:26 pm

I can remember lots of complex passwords, but I still haven't bothered to memorise either my home or mobile phone number yet (after over a year).

I can seem to remember someones face OR their name, but never both at the same time. I also have trouble recognising people out of context, such as seeing people from work on the weekend unexpectedly.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 12:00 am

From 1992-2003, I had a TV show-like fantasy running in my head. I would think of adventures for my characters to have, and then I would think about the characters having them.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 12:20 am

I can remember quotes from Shakespeare, but I'm really dumb about simple things that most people know.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 2:05 am

I've always hated Shakespeare. His works almost qualify as a foreign language.

Of course, when I was in middle school, I always got a kick out of "Give me my long sword! Ho!"

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2006, 9:52 pm

I used to think my greatest impairment was social, lack of observed desire for friendship, poor ability to make friends, social awkwardness, but lately I feel like it's that I fail utterly to correctly anticipate people's reactions to me.

- Emerson

SamW
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2006, 11:12 am

Hmmm.....
A good fact about myself : I've managed to improve my social abilities and my confidence barrel loads by performing live at a gig, I play the keyboard.
A bad fact about myself : I tend to be very bitter about the fact that my social abilities are still fairly poor, and I should have to work so hard at something most people my age take for granted.

I tend to dwell on things far too much, I've been doing it since I was a small person. :P

Mackie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jul 2006, 6:25 pm

Good post SamW :), I can see what you're talking about.. I play guitar and have done that for about 6 years now. It has greatly improved my self-confidence. About the social problems, I feel like that sometimes too.. That's when I enjoy just playing some licks, get the feeling out of my system (or at least try to).

My hands is "allergic" to flour, they get kinda itchy. Don't like baking buns that much! That's not smooth because here in Sweden we eat a lot of buns... Or maybe you call them cinnamon rolls? :?
Anyhow, buns include flour too , don't they? :D

I also wrote 20 pages on my social studies test in upper secondary school.

I dropped my pick while playing the first measures of Voodoo Child as a part of a big rock medley in school. Everything just went in slow motion right there... uuh. :oops:

To sum things up, I once shoveled snow drunk for 1.5 hours outside our house in -15 C, 3 in the morning after walking 4 kilometres from my friend's house.

It's weird how these little molecules can manipulate you... Fascinating.

GoddessofSnowandIce
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jul 2006, 9:39 pm

I have an amazing ability for language acquisition. I've studied 4 different languages and can read other languages from cognates. I can put words together beautifully and sometimes rather poetically. When I don't know a vocabulary word to say, I can think of really creative ways of saying things.

The exception is that I am only fluent when I'm holding a pen and paper or sitting behind a keyboard. I'm hopeless with my spoken and receptive language skills. I stammer so bad sometimes because my brain just moves too fast for my mouth to catch up with it, and by the time it does, the words are lost in the sea of thought that never calms.

Newmie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2006, 10:45 pm

I understand completely goddessofsnowandice.
I did very well learning french, written, or anything laid in front of me.
My verbal response just not there and slow to respond for english.
Then responding to english I sometimes come out with things which were improper or blew people away, but I thought were funny.
Best thing is, I'm always so quiet when I say these improper things I get quite loud.

When I was in school, teachers loved me, I had no friends, would rather stay home and inside kids were boring, things were not.

Everyday something else clicks and I thought about listing these once before.
I like this thread alot.

:)

romanax
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jul 2006, 11:16 pm

I have a LOT of interests, but one of my current favorites is Process Philosophy and Theology. This is more like the science of belief than any particular religious belief. I just turned 64, and my formerly fabulous memory is getting mushy.
I study the nature of objective reality and subjective reality, including possible natures of God, if there is any such unitary principle or being.
Objective reality is the easy part for me, because that was where I have been stuck most of my life. I did not have a first date until age 19, and I got married at age 35.
Subjective reality is the difficult part. Normal people bathe in it, while thinking they are being so logical.
As I have said before, I am a transwoman, and I present that way 97% of the time. This is the only way I can function in subjective reality.
Today, for instance, I am bathed in subjectivity. I am wearing a red skirt, a Maui T-Shirt with a picture of a scuba diving, cat, calico cat earrings, and red sandals. Switching gender has meant that I need forty pair of shoes and a closet full of clothes.

Romana Annette

Red_Wolf
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jul 2006, 11:32 pm

oooh I like the 'good fact, bad fact' thing...so here goes.

Good Fact: I have a sharpshooting photographic memory, audiographic too...I have sort of..a movie projector in my head...don't know how else to describe it. It's helpful in my profession, I don't know anyone that can watch what they're about to do before they do it visually. Like I'm staring at something that isn't there yet and people think I'm nuts. Till they see the result of my craziness...

Bad Fact: I'm pretty sensitive to sight and sound. I can't look people in the eyes much or hear what they're saying, but I can hear music from a mile away. I can't go to movies much for the same reason. I also forget where I am a lot and run into things. 8O I'm also really naive as to 'the real world' and 'culture'....none of it makes any sense.

"so when people ask me 'how are you', u mean they..don't really want to know???"

:lol:
Red Wolf!!

ladakh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2006, 11:44 pm

In High School, whenever we had a substitute teacher, I'd write my assignments in backwards script, then say "this is how I always write, the teacher reads my homework through a mirror."

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2006, 5:27 am

Red_Wolf wrote:
...sharpshooting photographic memory, audiographic too...
Yeah? I have the aural thing too, but I call it "phonographic memory." It has to be switched on to work. Used to really annoy collage professors that I'd sit in their class and never take notes. I also have what I call "aural dyslexia."

- Emerson

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2006, 5:42 am

I've lost two Relatives in the same Month, and I didn't feel the need to grieve, when it happened.

I've lost quite a few Relatives, and I didn't feel the need to grieve, through any of those times.

I've been grieving over the demise of the Routemaster, for seven Months, and especially around the 9th of every Month.

I hope that Ken Livingstone is reading this, from his Prison Cell. :evil:

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2006, 6:05 am

Red_Wolf wrote:
I have sort of..a movie projector in my head...don't know how else to describe it. It's helpful in my profession, I don't know anyone that can watch what they're about to do before they do it visually. Like I'm staring at something that isn't there yet and people think I'm nuts. Till they see the result of my craziness...

Which is to say, you are a picture/non-linear thinker. I am too, and although I have an encyclopedic (conceptual based) memory, yet not the full photographic or audiographic memories (all three are types of eidetic memory). You know, Nikola Tesla was said to be a picture thinker with a photographic memory - He kept the blueprints for most of his inventions in his own mind.