Post ONE fact about yourself (and your asperger's)

Page 4 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2006, 5:43 pm

Random fact, people on history forums often ask me what universities are good and where I got my education, but I am a highschool dropout (though I do visit the university library often)

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2006, 5:49 pm

I've made much progress in my personal development, but sometimes I'm still very naïve about how people will respond to things I say or do.

- Emerson

starling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2006, 6:02 pm

When I went outside tonight to walk with my dog it was dark and silent, no one on the street, only sounds far away and I felt a mild wind and I felt intense peace. I wish I could bottle that peace for worse times.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2006, 10:07 am

I'm a psychology/neurology freak and can lecture anyone into the ground. :twisted:

I'm also an incredible artist (2-D). I'm minoring in art and love torturing all my art professors with the fact I'm not a major and won't be going on to graduate school and making art my life. One of my art professors continually asks me if I'm going up for Major Acceptance Review every semester, as though somehow by him forgetting, my major will miraculously change.

Instead, I'll be going on to graduate school to get my PhD in Experimental Psych and do research.

I'm one of the most anal (if not the anal) people in the art deparment. The stereotypical "artist" personality with all its care-free disorganization drives me I-N-S-A-N-E.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

aspartame
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2006, 6:42 pm

Good fact: I love words, and consequently, I am good with language. I think about words all the time, and I like to find the "right" way to express ideas. I pick up new languages quickly, and like a previous poster said, I can read other languages from cognates.

Bad fact: I am rather awkward socially. I don't make eye contact, I rarely smile, and I cannot make small talk. Most of my conversation with people I don't know consists of me relating anecdotes I've heard elsewhere. I think I am a little mind-blind, as well: sometimes I say things without considering how they will be interpreted by others, as though I lack the ability to anticipate other people's reactions.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2006, 10:38 pm

I can remember numbers easily by dividing the numbers into groups and find a significance with each group.

I have a great sense of smell so I keep breath mints with me constantly much to the chagrin of my mom.

I've been told that I could be a detective since I observe details others don't see

Let's just say ONE is the same as three shall we? :wink:

My asperger's is mild though it doesn't feel that way at times.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2006, 7:19 am

I'm going to post 2 because my first one was a lame cop out.

I'm mildly psychically enhanced. I don't know if it's brainwork, or spinal injury, or trauma, but I guessed where and who had died in our house, dug up a squirrel I had no right to know was there, stumbled on a body--because I 'just had to' walk that way, dreampt a couple things that happened within a few days, and dreampt about a couple things-'I think' as they were happening. Then there is the general guessing correctly coworkers number of children and genders; whether or not they are having marital problems-why.

I didn't get to finish any level of capacity at school-as I come from a crime family and couldn't possibly be shown competent. So...every time I showed mildly savant or excelled my classmates by competing only with myself, those subjects were swiftly butchered and stolen-music, computers, language, pe-all of it.

Now. I'm totally confused---and ooooold. to old to pick up again. too many started projects to pursue any one with passion. I guess the tactic worked, as all the way through I had aspergers and couldn't and cant see the inside of a conversation to report what I know-let alone access services that normal folk find so easy and understandable. I ALWAYS feel the freak in this respect.

But-in 'some' degree I've picked them all up again-in defiance-just to see if someone was going to take them away again. I've lost my momentum and don't think I'll ever excel--and don't care. I can walk a slow journey.

To the person who says they feel inadequate when they hear about evey body else's wonderful talents. Don't feel bad too much. Yours is 'probably' staring you right in the face-unrecognized by you. I read about what others can do and reel a bit. It's very facinating.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2006, 7:59 am

Your psychic intelligence amazes me!

I have to say that I associate everything with numbers. Whereas most people (I hear) would think of the taste of an apple when they think of it, or the colour, or the image, I think of 11. Bananas are 23 and yogurt is 43. I don't like pizza because it is 26 and I don't like white bread because its 45. Lamb is 16 so that's no good either.

I also calculated the powers of 2 up to 2 to the power of 29 in my head during a 15 minute walk to the local supermarket. :!:

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2006, 10:53 pm

Steel Maiden,

what is 14?
:)
That is cool! Now I'm looking around my apartment, assigning a number to everything.

Pshycic (ohgoshtheresatypo) gifts isn't like these fabulous savants you see on tv. I've always found it pretty cool and perplexing trying to see what it is/means, never coming up with anything usable to help society-besides who would I tell and what would I ask for training. Misunderstood so I keep it to myself and work on it privately. I think it might even have something to do with lack of vision in one eye. ESP and the blind and all that. Something I picked up for survival and for lack of being shown proper ways of thinking.

I'm better at guessings hieghts, velocity, impact damages, things of physical momentum as they relate to my safety. I haven't had any fun with numbers since I was a kid.

Do you plan to go on to be a physicist or something working with numbers?

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

lostatlimbo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2006, 12:02 am

Good: I have a photographic memory and can recall every face or place I've been - even when I was really young. I can also compose complicated musical arrangements in my head (though I've yet to figure out how to translate them into something others can read/hear. I'm very good with words.

Bad: I can't retain numbers to save my life. Comprehending any type of measurement (time or space) is very difficult. The difference between 1 mile and 100 miles is almost non-existent to me. Somehow I did well in math, in school, but it would take me hours to complete a single homework assignment.

I also have an odd phobia: mold. It scares the crap out of me.

I'm not yet certain how bad my AS is, only that I have it. I'd say it is mild, because I get along okay in society and am rather likeable, but have had very few close friendships and maintain mostly casual aquaintences through work. I tend to just laugh when I don't know what else to say, which usually solves the problem, but can backfire.

heavyweather
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Aug 2006, 12:06 am

I inspired a high school chess club into being... while I was still in junior high

My new friends in college asked me not to hang around with them anymore because I was so quiet I was freaking them out.

I coach youth bowling even though I don't bowl.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2006, 8:35 am

SeaBright wrote:
Steel Maiden,

what is 14?
That is cool! Now I'm looking around my apartment, assigning a number to everything.

Pshycic (ohgoshtheresatypo) gifts isn't like these fabulous savants you see on tv. I've always found it pretty cool and perplexing trying to see what it is/means, never coming up with anything usable to help society-besides who would I tell and what would I ask for training. Misunderstood so I keep it to myself and work on it privately. I think it might even have something to do with lack of vision in one eye. ESP and the blind and all that. Something I picked up for survival and for lack of being shown proper ways of thinking.

I'm better at guessings hieghts, velocity, impact damages, things of physical momentum as they relate to my safety. I haven't had any fun with numbers since I was a kid.

Do you plan to go on to be a physicist or something working with numbers?

14 is food in general. The word "hoe" is 14.

Things that relate to your safety? I agree. I'm always calculating stopping distances and no. of cars' lengths when my Mum is driving on the motorway (highway for you Americans!).

I did plan to be a theoretical physicist, but I changed my mind after I did some research and found that it would involve sitting at a computer screen a lot of the time. I am the sort of person that needs to move from place to place, not stay in one place all the time. I also have a talent for medicine, and it holds better money, so I'm striving to become a forensic pathologist.

What about you?

Cool_aspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Aug 2006, 10:37 am

I have a moderate or mild case of AS, but I still do much better socially than other aspies, although I still have a few social quirks.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2006, 12:10 pm

Cool_aspie wrote:
I have a moderate or mild case of AS, but I still do much better socially than other aspies, although I still have a few social quirks.

Such as? I'm interested.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2006, 10:09 am

I have a very godd and distinct memory, both for numbers and long exact quotes, like poems, song texts, etc. 8)

'Tis munny in my purse.

Fluke
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Aug 2006, 4:49 pm

I can't look people in the eye when talking to them, I usually just look at their shoes, or the sky, or whatever, if I need to look someone in the face, I concentrate on their nose or mouth.

I now recognise people by their dentristry or shoes and don't even know the eye colour of a single person I have met, even my family.