Post ONE fact about yourself (and your asperger's)

Page 6 of 9 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Fluke
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Aug 2006, 4:49 pm

I can't look people in the eye when talking to them, I usually just look at their shoes, or the sky, or whatever, if I need to look someone in the face, I concentrate on their nose or mouth.

I now recognise people by their dentristry or shoes and don't even know the eye colour of a single person I have met, even my family.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2006, 1:28 am

You can train that. I didn't know exactly how long to look in one's eyes, but when I studied linguistic at the university, they said it was normal to look into peoples eyes for about two seconds. So I look in their eyes for two seconds, look at something else and then look into their eyes again.

rincemeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Aug 2006, 11:18 am

I look at peoples ears. Or I just stare straight through them. This only happens if I need to meet someone formally, say for a job interview. Otherwise, I tend to look at the floor or out to oneside when talking to friends or family.

maygen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Aug 2006, 2:59 am

im a musician among other things and i have perfect pitch. its really rare. mozart had it.

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 7:11 am

I find any new experience in the real world quite terrifying.

I have to push myself really hard all of the time and no-one understands how much effort I put in, or why I'm so tired, stressed and moody after an 'ordinary' day. Because I'm on edge things tend to go wrong, too. Like I can't ever remember names when I'm introduced to people (even if I really need to) because I'm too worried about what I'm gonna say and whether they'll notice that I'm panicking inside, and also because I'm already worrying that I won't remember their names!

It gets much worse when I know that what I'm doing is important to someone special e.g. having to meet my Dad's friends, or strangers at the wedding of someone I care for. My ex-girlfriend wanted me to go on holiday with her but I was scared of going somewhere new, and knowing how important it was to her just made it 100x worse. I ran away from the whole idea and she felt rejected and gave me a guilt trip about it when all I really needed was some support. We're not together any more.

Ironically, after the initial fear has subsided I often find that these new experiences are good. But I never seem able to remember this lesson next time something scary comes up. I need loads of persuasion to do things which I might actually end up enjoying. How stupid is that? I'm not surprised everyone gets fed up with me!

I wish I could turn my brain off and stop worrying about things all of the time, but I can't.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 8:46 am

maygen wrote:
im a musician among other things and i have perfect pitch. its really rare. mozart had it.

Sorry, but perfect pitch isn't 'really rare.' It's more common than most people would think. It's not usual, but it's not exactly rare either.

maygen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Aug 2006, 12:36 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_pitch

Researchers have been trying to teach absolute pitch ability for more than a century[23], and various commercial absolute-pitch training courses have been offered to the public since the early 1900s[24]. It has been shown possible to learn the naming of tones later in life, although some consider this skill not to be true absolute pitch[25]. No training method for adults has yet been shown to produce abilities comparable to naturally-occurring absolute pitch[26].

if it isnt a gift then why cant they teach it?
maybe it isnt as rare as say growing a third leg but dont dis it please.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 1:50 pm

Litigious wrote:
I have a very godd and distinct memory, both for numbers and long exact quotes, like poems, song texts, etc. 8)

Have you tried memorising long lists of numbers (such as pi, e or powers of a number), or poetry? It's extremely invigorating!

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 2:22 pm

I think you're right about so called 'perfect pitch' being unusual , but not really rare. I hack at a guitar and can play by ear (that's what guitar players call it). If I hear a tone from any source I can immediately play it at (at least) 4 or 5 places on the neck and before I even get my fingers on the note I have already planned the easiest to reach scale in that range of the neck. I just think of it as familiarity with my instrument.

That's an interesting wiki article, though. I suppose we are rare in many other ways, also.

PortlandBabe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2006, 6:45 pm

I remember numbers. I know my old phone numbers, going back to when I was a kid. I don't program numbers into my cell phone because it's just easier to remember the numbers. I also remember credit card numbers. I remember the credit card number of a boyfriend I had 20 years ago.

This has been such an eye-opening experience, seeing this info on Aspies on the Internet. So many things I have never understood about myself now make sense.

28 Aug 2006, 1:29 am

I know my numeral mumbers in years very well from 1900.

I can do math well in my head but not with abstract math

I have a very good memory than most people

I had a whole map of London memorized in my head when I was in junior high.

I can absorb facts easily and can remember birthdates

I am not very good at remembering phone numbers

I find my way around by memorizing what routes I take and remembering the buildings I saw

I don't use road names to get to places, I memorize the routes and the buildings.

I think in pictures very few words

I'm horrible at remembering peoples looks. For it too stick in my mind I have to see them all the time or keep looking at their picture.

I have troubles recognizing people

I know my roman numerals up to 99

I can't do algebra but do it in my head all the time but just don't even know it simply because I don't use y and x and all that stuff you see in problems

I can do algebra in story problems but can't write down the problem. I use pictures to find the answer.

I'm very shy when it comes to men.

I find meeting people very difficult

I have no friends except my ex bf

i never babysat when i was a kid except for my own brothers

okay nuff of me for now

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 12:12 pm

I absorb numbers, facts and figures like a sponge.

I attach numbers to everything possible.

I know pi to 160 decimal places off by heart.

I know the powers of 2 up to 2^29 off by heart.

Numbers are my life.

Everything has a number.

I cannot live without numbers.

Steve45
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Aug 2006, 12:32 pm

Years ago I learnt how to say "Do you speak English?" in Hungarian by remembering that it sounds a little like "Bessie on the loo". Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, I cannot visualise images in my mind's eye, only the 'feel' from touching things.

JJ
Toucan
Toucan

30 Aug 2006, 4:03 pm

I couldn't spell (or speak) as a young child. My spelling is much better on a keyboard than on pen and paper, because all I do is remember each pattern for each word. I am more likely to do a typo by accidently using the wrong pattern than hitting a wrong key (although that happens too). I find it easier to spell when using pen + paper by thinking of a keyboard and remembering the pattern. When typing a new word I am very slow, but once I have remembered it, that's it, for ever. I suppose I also remember pre/postfixes, like es, ing, ed, 's, n't, re, un, in, to etc...

I'm not sure I have any 'special abilities', but I do certainly have a musical memory. I can mostly recall any track I've listened to.

My pet hobby is learning new programming languages.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 3:39 am

Programming languages are fantastic! HTML, CSS, Java and BASIC are good.