Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

HelloLovely
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2011, 8:00 pm

Hello there!

i am new here (if you couldn't tell).
I am looking for some help, honestly. Im hoping someone can help me sort out whats happening right now.

I honestly think I may have aspergers. Its quite scary and I havent told anyone I think I have it.
Im awfully timid, and I have an absurd fascination with computers and computer science/programming.
I had a close knit group of friends growing up, (which, to be honest, my mom made these friends for me.) However, I am terribly awkward, and completely reserved, the complete opposite of their outgoing, fun, personalities. I had always felt different. I have absolutely no social skills, i dont know what to say or when to say it, and often end up embarrassed by social interactions because they usually go awry. Now my friends have completely dropped me and I have had nowhere to turn, due to my lack of friends and social skills. Its been a hard two years. I turned 15 in september. Everyone I know is growing an changing, and I am just the same old awkwardly shy, and seemingly invisible, girl i have been forever. I also often find myself feeling extremely uncomfortable with my peers, but oddly more comfortable with my teachers. Can anyone hopefully share similar experiences or suggest weather or not I get formally tested?

Thank you so very much :)

HelloLovely
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2011, 8:37 pm

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! <3

JusSumBudi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2011, 8:49 pm

Could, be. Do you have any self image issues that could be contributing? I'm pretty much self diagnosed AS and my symptoms aren't as bad as you make your's sound.

HelloLovely
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2011, 8:57 pm

no self image issues.
Well, i think im quite unattarctive, but nothing terribly extreme. do you suggest seeing someone for a diagnosis?

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 9:01 pm

HelloLovely wrote:
Hello there!

i am new here (if you couldn't tell).

Hi, welcome to WrongPlanet! :)

HelloLovely wrote:
Im awfully timid, and I have an absurd fascination with computers and computer science/programming.

This could be what is called a "special interest," but not necessarily. When you say "absurd fascination," would you call it "obsessive"--that is, to the point where it can eclipse everything else?

HelloLovely wrote:
I had a close knit group of friends growing up, (which, to be honest, my mom made these friends for me.) However, I am terribly awkward, and completely reserved, the complete opposite of their outgoing, fun, personalities. I had always felt different. I have absolutely no social skills, i dont know what to say or when to say it, and often end up embarrassed by social interactions because they usually go awry.

*alarm bells going off*

Yep, this is sounding very familiar. The main difference is that, at age 15, I had a few male friends (I'm female) and was okay with being alone the rest of the time. I was always reserved and disliked social interactions for the most part because I knew I was not good at them. (I still have difficulties sometimes.)

HelloLovely wrote:
Now my friends have completely dropped me and I have had nowhere to turn, due to my lack of friends and social skills. Its been a hard two years. I turned 15 in september. Everyone I know is growing an changing, and I am just the same old awkwardly shy, and seemingly invisible, girl i have been forever. I also often find myself feeling extremely uncomfortable with my peers, but oddly more comfortable with my teachers. Can anyone hopefully share similar experiences or suggest weather or not I get formally tested?

Thank you so very much :)

I was like this since grade school!

I'm almost 32 now and often still feel very much like I did when I was in my teens, so I can relate to your feelings of not "changing" along with your peers.

At your age, I was just as happy to be "invisible" because I had been bullied throughout grade school--if people left me alone, it was an improvement. However, that's me--I'm not saying you are "wrong" for being distressed by this.

It is very possible you have Asperger's (AS). Before bringing up formal testing to your parents, however, I would like to direct you to a couple of online tests. They are the only "confirmation" that I have AS--I took them a couple of years ago, and that's enough for me (also, getting tested as an adult isn't easy).

http://www.piepalace.ca/blog/asperger-test-aq-test/

http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

If it is true, please don't despair. For me, just knowing that "it" has a name has been immensely helpful. Like you, I've always felt "different" too--I just didn't know why for most of my life. However I have found others of like mind--some IRL, many more here on WP. You are not alone.

Again, welcome. :) Please let us know what the tests say, and I hope this has been helpful.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

HelloLovely
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2011, 9:17 pm

My goodness,
you have no idea how much this helps.
its so nice to know that someone feels the same way as i do.
I as well dont mind being invisible at all, it means i dont need to interact as much which stresses me out.
and I thought I was the only one who was like that with teachers!
And I would call it somewhat obsessive.
I am almost excited to take these tests, knowing that if I am aspie, it would be so great to know WHY im like the way i am...a relief, almost? to know im not just wierd, that there are other people who struggle like I do.
Again, thank you so much, as Im sure you know, its so stressful and scary to come to the realization of the possiblility of aspergers, and Its such a relief to tell someone what ive been feeling.
thank you <3 Ill post when I take the tests.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 9:20 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

HelloLovely
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2011, 9:23 pm

I scored a 37 on the first test...
"an extreme case of aspergers"
goodness gracious.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 9:29 pm

Looks like you have it. I remember thinking the same thing, that I was the only one who is like me, and how little sense that makes in a world with a population of over 7 billion. Even without an official diagnosis it just helps to know. I recommend staying around here for a little while to get a better idea if you really have it or not.

HelloLovely
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2011, 9:32 pm

yeah! I just dont understand people sometimes.
it quite lonely, actually.
did you have an official diagnosis?

HelloLovely
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2011, 9:40 pm

on the other test, 175 of 200.
very likely an aspie"

JusSumBudi

29 Mar 2011, 9:44 pm

I never needed a diagnosis. If you need it to feel some kind of closure on the situation maybe, but if on the other hand the online tests are enough for you. Like they say no one knows you like you do. Why don't you post some things about yourself so we can get to know you? Maybe you'll make some friends ;) :D

HelloLovely
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2011, 9:47 pm

Well....
Im 15 years old
im in the tenth grade
I play the guitar and the piano
I enjoy reading, tv & video games.
and I hope to make some friends. (:

JusSumBudi

29 Mar 2011, 9:52 pm

It can be pretty uncomfortable to be in school with a bunch of other people. I was lucky enough to be home schooled. It didn't help me with my first real complex social situations in college but it did let me focus on my studies and not feel like an outcast.

Do you have other people in your family who act like you? In my case I figured out that my grandmother, father and brother also had it. As well as one of my cousins.

HelloLovely
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2011, 9:55 pm

My dad is similar, but less noticably odd than i am.

JusSumBudi

29 Mar 2011, 10:02 pm

Well poke around here, lots of interesting discussions going on, welcome!