Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2006, 8:31 am

It is good to see that there is a website and forums for those with social difficulties or anxieties. No resource on the web looks as good as this one, for Asperger's syndrome. I am not diagnosed for Asperger's Sydrome, any other developmental disorder, or any psychiactric disorder. (I don't know if I want to be, since I fear a diagnosis might hurt job and scholarship opportunities.) I do strongly feel I share some of the traits of those with Aspergers's. I had a fascination with objects at an early age (including vacuum cleaners, computers, cars, roadway design), poor social skills (which I am trying to improve), inabilility to speak in some situations (I am not choosing not to say anything, I simply can't think of anything), and sensitivity to certain environmental stimuli such as smell, sound, and touch. (I've almost fought somebody for touching my head. I couldn't comprehend why, I just became very agitated.) My IQ is in the gifted range, but teasing was common for me in middle school because I had no idea what was going on socially. In high school, I withdrew.

Now, I'm in college and have some work experience, which has all been positive, except for working in fast food.

What I still struggle with is the anxiety of being aware of the fact I have social difficulties. In my 9th grade year of high school I attended a supposedly Christian private school, where everyone, including the teachers, thought I was stupid. Recently, I saw one of my classmates from there, a complete moron. He gave an expression of great surprise when he learned I was going to college.

When I saw people who were, seriously, moderately ret*d having better social lives than I was, I knew something needed to be done. Over the past three years, I have been trying to develop my social skills, each year progressing in various areas (and making tons of mistakes in the process, which is trial and error.) I enjoy reading about people with Asperger's who have become successful. It is possible that there are degrees of Asperger's (that may be a scientific fact), and some may have more difficulty than others, but Temple Grandin proves autism can be overcome even in its most devestating state.

Have a good day!

alex
Developer
Developer

22 Aug 2006, 8:42 am

xon wrote:
When I saw people who were, seriously, moderately ret*d having better social lives than I was, I knew something needed to be done. Over the past three years, I have been trying to develop my social skills, each year progressing in various areas (and making tons of mistakes in the process, which is trial and error.) I enjoy reading about people with Asperger's who have become successful. It is possible that there are degrees of Asperger's (that may be a scientific fact), and some may have more difficulty than others, but Temple Grandin is the greatest example, imo.

Have a good day!

I'm also trying to develop social skills by trial and error. It would be very interesting to hear about the progress you've made in this regard. I look forward to you sharing some of the things you've learned.

Oh, and Welcome! 8)

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2006, 1:27 pm

Yes, welcome! If it wasn't for my Mother spending my whole childhood and teenage (I am still a teenager though, but nearly out) life teaching me basic social skills, I would not have got this far. I would still be the rowdy hurtful confused kid that I was in nursery. Trial and error is good. I also like to ask my Mother to define reactions to me i.e. I ask her what I should do when someone looks depressed (i.e. looks downwards, has a sad mouth and doesn't want to say much, I have learnt) and she replies that I should try and talk to the person about anything and that I should not press to ask what is wrong too much.

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2006, 2:07 pm

Bore dda!

Pharmacy Techican is not the pharmacist

lostatlimbo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2006, 6:29 pm

xon wrote:
Over the past three years, I have been trying to develop my social skills, each year progressing in various areas (and making tons of mistakes in the process, which is trial and error.) I enjoy reading about people with Asperger's who have become successful.

I've learned a lot by trial and error too. Seems to be the only way to go for most Aspies. It can still be very difficult too. It's draining to fail so often, only to barely make progress. But, I suppose it is better than nothing.

What is most difficult about learning by trial and error is that the tricks you learn don't always apply.

I have gotten into the habit of laughing or chuckling whenever I don't know what else to say. Often that works. People just assume I laugh and smile a lot and am generally happy. But sometimes I'll laugh, when I really shouldn't be, and that can be trouble.

I like reading about successful Aspies too. It gives me a little hope.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2006, 8:58 pm

Rhisiart_Steffan wrote:
Bore dda!

Good morning to you, too!

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2006, 4:53 am

lostatlimbo wrote:
I've learned a lot by trial and error too. Seems to be the only way to go for most Aspies. It can still be very difficult too. It's draining to fail so often, only to barely make progress. But, I suppose it is better than nothing.

What is most difficult about learning by trial and error is that the tricks you learn don't always apply.

I have gotten into the habit of laughing or chuckling whenever I don't know what else to say. Often that works. People just assume I laugh and smile a lot and am generally happy. But sometimes I'll laugh, when I really shouldn't be, and that can be trouble.

I like reading about successful Aspies too. It gives me a little hope.

Trial and error is often the only way for Aspies, you're right. I cannot stand it when I get one chance to try something out that I've thought up of, only to find that I am completely wrong and that I make other people upset.

I like reading about other Aspies in general, it makes me feel like there are others out there who are having the same issues.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2006, 10:43 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

I've had an Obsession since I was Five, that I often talk about, on this Site. After you know me better, you have to guess what the Obsession is. :)

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 1:23 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

I've had an Obsession since I was Five, that I often talk about, on this Site. After you know me better, you have to guess what the Obsession is. :)

:wink:

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 7:39 am

Hi!

Welcome to Wrongplanet!

I hope you enjoy posting here!

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 12:27 pm

Well, at 2928 posts, I'm sure that you know what you're talking about as far as this site goes... If I need any help, I'll ask you! :P

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 6:57 pm

CR is obsessed with Route Master Busses. Has a whole room full of them...or maybe a garage full of them. Yeah, I spoiled the surprise, but she's one of my favorite people, so if she kills me, I won't mind.
btdt

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 11:00 pm

Hello and welcome! :)

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 3:15 pm

beentheredonethat wrote:
CR is obsessed with Route Master Busses. Has a whole room full of them...or maybe a garage full of them. Yeah, I spoiled the surprise, but she's one of my favorite people, so if she kills me, I won't mind.
btdt

They're phasing out the Routmasters :(, and they're phasing out slam-door trains. Bastardes!