Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 11:05 am

jamieevren1210 wrote:
Mechataku wrote:
i talk to myself all the friggin' time. i've even argued with myself on many occasions. worst part is i loose xD

You win and lose at the same time lol.

but how can anyone be 2 people at one time?
i am just one person, and i can not understand how so many posters in this thread can say that they tell themselves things that they would not have otherwise known (like losing arguments with themselves).

if i was also another "me" who did not know what i was thinking, then i would freak out.
i am so glad i have only one identity, and i always know what i think, and i do not have to tell myself anything because i am only one person and i have only one viewpoint and i am the person who thinks for me.

from what i see in this thread, people have multiple personalities that need to educate each other and debate with each other to understand the fullness of what they think.

i just think what i alone think, and i never question or debate with myself.

maybe that is how i am inferior to people who are not as seriously affected as i am, but my world is simple.

what i think is automatically understood in my mind with no need for debate from some dissenting external self's perspective.

i am one soul and what i think is what i believe. i do never adopt an external view point .

freud spoke about the "superego" which is like an idealization of an external approving viewpoint (usually an authoritative judgmental influence like parental approval), and most people need approval from others in order to continue to believe what they think without guilt.

i am not that way. i believe what i think regardless of public opinion

bluntedboywonder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jan 2012, 2:16 pm

Quote:
freud spoke about the "superego" which is like an idealization of an external approving viewpoint (usually an authoritative judgmental influence like parental approval), and most people need approval from others in order to continue to believe what they think without guilt.

B9 might be on to something here.

I talk to myself all the time, it makes processing life easier. I only do it when I am alone though. I even mutter under my breath walking down the street :P Good to know I am not the only one who does this!

Diagnosis: Have Aspergers - Diagnosed

henry_jones77
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jan 2012, 6:30 pm

lol :lmao:

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 9:10 am

b9 wrote:
[but how can anyone be 2 people at one time?
i am just one person, and i can not understand how so many posters in this thread can say that they tell themselves things that they would not have otherwise known (like losing arguments with themselves).

if i was also another "me" who did not know what i was thinking, then i would freak out.
i am so glad i have only one identity, and i always know what i think, and i do not have to tell myself anything because i am only one person and i have only one viewpoint and i am the person who thinks for me.

from what i see in this thread, people have multiple personalities that need to educate each other and debate with each other to understand the fullness of what they think.

It is counter-intuitive but one person can have several selves that argue and debate with each other. My experience is similar to other posters in this thread. One part of me will argue and debate with another part of me, sometimes out loud. Sometimes friends will over-hear this process and say, "Janissy, did you just lose an argument with yourself?". They find this amusing rather than alarming since it's something they do too.

Part of it is arguments between the id, superego and ego, as you pointed out. But that's only part of it. I have read in various books and articles that what we think of as "me" is a thin and only semi-integrated veneer over a bunch of cognitive processes. These processes may be more solidly integrated in you than in many other people. I don't know. I do know that I often experience what others here describe but that it is very hard to convey how this experience feels.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 9:35 am

another one talking to himself… a lot. :lol:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 10:42 am

Janissy wrote:
b9 wrote:

It is counter-intuitive but one person can have several selves that argue and debate with each other.

well i have only one "self", and i can not argue with myself because i agree with what i think (obviously) always.
i would be very unsettled if i felt i was being controlled by the attitudes of separate entities. there is only one me, and obviously i agree with everything i say.

Janissy wrote:
My experience is similar to other posters in this thread. One part of me will argue and debate with another part of me, sometimes out loud. Sometimes friends will over-hear this process and say, "Janissy, did you just lose an argument with yourself?". They find this amusing rather than alarming since it's something they do too.

that makes me feel quite isolated because there is only one "me", and i always live in there, and i am not in conflict with what i think because i agree with what i think always. maybe you have unearthed an important detail about a difference between autism and non autism.

Janissy wrote:
Part of it is arguments between the id, superego and ego, as you pointed out. But that's only part of it. I have read in various books and articles that what we think of as "me" is a thin and only semi-integrated veneer over a bunch of cognitive processes. These processes may be more solidly integrated in you than in many other people. I don't know. I do know that I often experience what others here describe but that it is very hard to convey how this experience feels.

i do not understand other peoples perspectives at all if they are not congruent to my own.
there is no way i can identify with things i do not personally think already.

you are very lucky to not be in the prison of selfism. but also i think i would not like to be set free from my prison because there would be too many indeterminable things that i have not sufficient judgement to discriminate between.

i will live my whole life as only one me, and if that means i never bond with others, then i know i will be set free when i die but not before.

i am happy to stay in my own world where i believe fully what i think for the duration of my life.

PsycStudent

08 Jan 2012, 8:28 am

I talk to myself a fair amount and Im NT.

My dad does it as well. It's mostly 'thinking aloud' with him (ie. "Where are my keys? Did I leave them by the phone? I've got to remember to get those things form the shop", etc.). He'll ask himself questions alone or around people and you have to guess if he's looking for an answer or not :?

I talk to myself in the car. Its a great place to rant or sing to the radio because no one can see or hear you and you'd be bored otherwise (obvisouly not in stationary trafic). If you are trying to work something out (an internal argument eg. "Do I like him? Do I really? Should I text him or should i wait a while for him to text me?") I find it useful to verbalise what you're thinking. I find you can come to a decision that you feel more confident in it if I've spoken out the argument.

People are also more 'true to themsleves' (consistant in their beliefs and expersions) if they are facing a mirror. It sounds weird but evidence supports this so talking out an argument with your reflection has been shown to be good for you in that regards!! !

mr7thletter
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2012, 2:01 pm

I talk to myself everyday all the time and it doesnt matter if I am in front of someone or alone sometimes I forget I am in front of people.

A lot of times its more than just simply talking to myself. What I am actually doing is thinking out loud future or past conversations and what I would have done differently in past conversations and what I will do in future conversations........

I thought I was the only person who did this.............

Arzon
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jan 2012, 2:25 pm

I love to talk to myself, especially at the end of the day.
It makes me calm down.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 4:35 pm

bluntedboywonder wrote:
Quote:

B9 might be on to something here.

I talk to myself all the time, it makes processing life easier. I only do it when I am alone though. I even mutter under my breath walking down the street :P Good to know I am not the only one who does this!

I'm guilty of this too.

But so is my niece and she's NT.

catatonix

11 Jan 2012, 4:44 pm

I have my most interesting conversations with myself, usually questioning why I did something and arguing it over.

Ddddd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 7:14 am

When I'm alone I sometimes have conversations with my friends, I know they're not there but then I say things to them I want to say all the time :P

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 9:09 am

b9 wrote:
jamieevren1210 wrote:
Mechataku wrote:
i talk to myself all the friggin' time. i've even argued with myself on many occasions. worst part is i loose xD

Hehe, I was joking. :D

maybe that is how i am inferior to people who are not as seriously affected as i am, but my world is simple.

what i think is automatically understood in my mind with no need for debate from some dissenting external self's perspective.

i am one soul and what i think is what i believe. i do never adopt an external view point .

b9
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 9:17 am

sorry but you embedded your reply into my my post which made it look like i said what you said in response. i do not use emoticons either.
i had to fix the quote structure.

jamieevren1210 wrote:
b9 wrote:
jamieevren1210 wrote:
Mechataku wrote:

jamieevren1210 wrote:
Hehe, I was joking. :D

well i wasted my time replying then. i did not know you were joking sorry.

b9 wrote:

younginflavor18
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 12:06 pm

I remember talking to myself when I was a youngster at age 8, 9, or 10. I talked to myself just to keep myself entertained when I am bored and to pass time quickly. I still talk to myself, but not that much since I found other productive activities to keep me interested.

Zl3395
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jan 2012, 9:21 pm

i do whenever im watching tv or reading a book and sometimes to entertain myself, it helps :)