Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2006, 5:12 pm

Uh, how to start?

My name is Aaron, and I am a junior in high school in Charlotte, NC, trying to make the best of a neurotypical world.

I was diagnosed with AS probably when I was in third grade. Back them it was more of an issue with schedules and flexibility - I had the tendency to interpret things literally, I would be upset if I were a minute late to the movie theater, etc... But the social problems that are associated with AS didn't come until far far later - when I moved into the public school system of a small, drug-infested Rhode Island town in eighth grade.

I just moved from Rhode Island to North Carolina, and being at a new school, finding it difficult to understand people's behavior, to interpret the social subtleties that are integral to high school relationships, to find the common interest that chemically bonds two - three - four - more people together, has... how to say this without traveling through the ruts of us-and-them clichedom?... really brought out to me the fact that I am, in fact, an Aspie, as much as I have learned to adapt.

Although I have some typical interests (indie rock, for example) I have many nonstandard interests (roadgeekery, anyone?). Which just makes matters harder.

I am interested in finding interesting people with whom I can relate. Which, if I relied on high school alone, would be like digging a hole from Boston to China - it just isn't possible!

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 5:14 pm

hi Aaron welcome to WP

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 6:46 pm

Welcome! I hope you find fun, enjoyment, and insight here at WP! 8)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 6:54 pm

Welcome to WP!

May I interest you in joining the Church of Vegetarianism?

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 7:24 pm

Welcome aaron

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2006, 1:45 pm

Hello Aaron

I'm impressed that you've already gotten beyond the us-and-them worldview. Hope you run into one or two people there you can relate to. Meanwhile, there's always here.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2006, 2:14 pm

I hope you like posting here, and don't forget to join the Church of Garlic. If you want the pain to go away, and to be a part of something greater than yourself, bite into a raw clove of Garlic tonight. And for a donation of just $19.95, we'll send you a leather bound copy of the Holy Book of Garlic.

Please make checks payable to "TheMachine1 and One-Winged-Angel Defense Funds". These funds will greatly help with the fake charity charges the Church of Garlic now faces. Thanks for the support.

The Church of Garlic is also a sanctuary for 1337 speakers.

If you would like to join the sect of Rubber Ducks, Pie, Vegetarianism, or Chocolate, tell me that you wish to join a sect.

Garlic Bless America