What is the weirdest fact that you know?

Page 3 of 9 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2005, 1:38 pm

Bec wrote:
--On 15 April 1912 the SS Titanic sunk on her maiden voyage and over 1,500 people died. Fourteen years earlier a novel was published by Morgan Robertson which seemed to foretell the disaster. The book described a ship the same size as the Titanic which crashes into an iceberg on its maiden voyage on a misty April night. The name of Robertson's fictional ship was the Titan.

A Hollywood studio made and produced a movie about Titanic about 6 months after the disaster and it featured at least one of the actual survivors.

Even, nearly a hundred years ago, they made movies about actual events shortly after them.

Catal Huyuk is one of, if not the oldest, discovered town dating back to 6500 B.C.E. located in Asia Minor and it was a Matriarchy, soon afterwards Steppe Peoples changed the Meditarranean world to a Patriarchies.

Prince Dracula, the actual man upon whom the novel was based, commanded one of the most successful battles in military history when he attacked an army that was more than 10 times the size of his own and inflicted several thousand casualties while only losing a few hundred of his own troops.

Nostradamus, the famous fortuneteller, was one of history's greatest doctors who supposedly could cure patients of Black Plague.

Some sources say about 700 Thebans fought alongside the 300 Spartans at the Hot Gates and refused to leave the battlefield as well as the Spartans until the last man. Which ironic as Thebes miltiary eventually copied some of Sparta's style, was the birthplace of Heracles, and the city that at last overthrew Sparta's rule once and for all, under a General named Epimonandas, who discovered a formation capable of defeating the Spartan Phalanx.

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2005, 1:51 pm

weirdest fact? I got one for you, my girl friend is trying to memorize the entire trilogy of the Lord of The Rings (the movies, both extended and normal versons.) hows that?

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2005, 3:38 pm

Rakkety_Tamm wrote:
weirdest fact? I got one for you, my girl friend is trying to memorize the entire trilogy of the Lord of The Rings (the movies, both extended and normal versons.) hows that?

It's already been done.

http://www.onemanstarwars.com/one_man_lotr1.html

I haven't seen his LotR show, but his One Man Star Wars show kicks!

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2005, 3:48 pm

There is an almost eery parallel between the Aztec and Toltec god Quetzalcoatl and the Egytian god Ra. The result of collective consciousness as described by Jung, or the result of a common ancester?

Edit: After looking it up, I see that the Maya wern't among the many mesoamerican societes that worshipped Quetzalcoatl.

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2005, 6:23 pm

Rakkety_Tamm wrote:

I aint seen the movies nor read any of the books
A

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2005, 6:24 pm

NotBlueAspie wrote:
Sarcastic_Name wrote:
"A man, a plan, a canal, Panama." is the longest known example of a sentence that is the same backwards in the English language.

"A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, heros, rajahs, a coloratura, maps, snipe, percale, macaroni, a gag, a banana bag, a tan, a tag, a banana bag again (or a camel), a crepe, pins, Spam, a rut, a Rolo, cash, a jar, sore hats, a peon, a canal – Panama!"
--Guy Steele, 1983

"A man, a plan, a caret, a ban, a myriad, a sum, a lac, a liar, a hoop, a pint, a catalpa, a gas, an oil, a bird, a yell, a vat, a caw, a pax, a wag, a tax, a nay, a ram, a cap, a yam, a gay, a tsar, a wall, a car, a luger, a ward, a bin, a woman, a vassal, a wolf, a tuna, a nit, a pall, a fret, a watt, a bay, a daub, a tan, a cab, a datum, a gall, a hat, a fag, a zap, a say, a jaw, a lay, a wet, a gallop, a tug, a trot, a trap, a tram, a torr, a caper, a top, a tonk, a toll, a ball, a fair, a sax, a minim, a tenor, a bass, a passer, a capital, a rut, an amen, a ted, a cabal, a tang, a sun, an ass, a maw, a sag, a jam, a dam, a sub, a salt, an axon, a sail, an ad, a wadi, a radian, a room, a rood, a rip, a tad, a pariah, a revel, a reel, a reed, a pool, a plug, a pin, a peek, a parabola, a dog, a pat, a cud, a nu, a fan, a pal, a rum, a nod, an eta, a lag, an eel, a batik, a mug, a mot, a nap, a maxim, a mood, a leek, a grub, a gob, a gel, a drab, a citadel, a total, a cedar, a tap, a gag, a rat, a manor, a bar, a gal, a cola, a pap, a yaw, a tab, a raj, a gab, a nag, a pagan, a bag, a jar, a bat, a way, a papa, a local, a gar, a baron, a mat, a rag, a gap, a tar, a decal, a tot, a led, a tic, a bard, a leg, a bog, a burg, a keel, a doom, a mix, a map, an atom, a gum, a kit, a baleen, a gala, a ten, a don, a mural, a pan, a faun, a ducat, a pagoda, a lob, a rap, a keep, a nip, a gulp, a loop, a deer, a leer, a lever, a hair, a pad, a tapir, a door, a moor, an aid, a raid, a wad, an alias, an ox, an atlas, a bus, a madam, a jag, a saw, a mass, an anus, a gnat, a lab, a cadet, an em, a natural, a tip, a caress, a pass, a baronet, a minimax, a sari, a fall, a ballot, a knot, a pot, a rep, a carrot, a mart, a part, a tort, a gut, a poll, a gateway, a law, a jay, a sap, a zag, a fat, a hall, a gamut, a dab, a can, a tabu, a day, a batt, a waterfall, a patina, a nut, a flow, a lass, a van, a mow, a nib, a draw, a regular, a call, a war, a stay, a gam, a yap, a cam, a ray, an ax, a tag, a wax, a paw, a cat, a valley, a drib, a lion, a saga, a plat, a catnip, a pooh, a rail, a calamus, a dairyman, a bater, a canal -- Panama!"
--Dan Hoey, 'discovered' in 1984.

Holy crap! somebody sure had a lot of time on their hands.
A

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2005, 9:55 pm

lmao..... I feel mis-informed, at least mine made sense...lol :lol:

171NewYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2005, 5:04 pm

Mount St. Helens erupted on the pope's birthday. 8)

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2005, 5:15 pm

If the of DNA inside all of your cells was stretched out end to end in one continuious strand, it would be enough to cover the distance from the Earth to the Sun and back again... twice!

More as i think of them...

we will make it through,
Here we are, like a star,
shining bright on the world,
Today... Make evil go away!

"Code Lyoko" Theme

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2005, 3:21 am

Quote:
If the of DNA inside all of your cells was stretched out end to end in one continuious strand, it would be enough to cover the distance from the Earth to the Sun and back again... twice!

It would also be very uncomfortable :lol:

171NewYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2005, 9:27 am

An Isreali owns the largest collection of used bus tickets in the world...with over 20,000!! !! !

But then again, my parents are from that country and I do know for a fact that they do use public transit quite a lot there, and I know from personal experience that their system is better than ours.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2005, 9:50 am

Most of the worlds transit system are better than the ones in the US

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

coffeenogrumpy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Apr 2005, 10:34 pm

germany's are cool. they have bendy buses!! and they don't smell

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2005, 11:22 pm

When King James of Scotland, King of Scotland
1567(ascended the throne1580?, born 1566)
was reigning monarch for 23years solely as
a Scottish King, but related to the Tudors,
and would then run both countries another 25
years. Not bad for a king who outlived a
reign than most. 59years if you count age 1
as a official monarch.

And to Further this the Scottish Penny(12)
was the equivelent to 1 English Penny.

And if you remember in Rob Roy©1993,
One of the bad guys say's "Too bad this
is in Scot's coin". Hmmmmm?

Tere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2005, 5:31 pm

Whales sleep head down at the bottom of the ocean.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2005, 8:12 pm

The Taco Bell dogs really a girl.