What is the weirdest fact that you know?

Page 5 of 9 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 May 2005, 7:06 pm

BlackLiger wrote:
If Algeria introduced a resolution to the UN stating that the World was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass with 164 to 13 and 26 abstentions.

hehehe that is funny. Who in Algeria wants to put pressure on their government to test that :P

Willfull ignorance rules the UN. Once, the Indiana State Legislature passed a law that declared the value of Pi to be four.

Jerry Newport

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2005, 7:44 pm

TheWhale wrote:
Willfull ignorance rules the UN. Once, the Indiana State Legislature passed a law that declared the value of Pi to be four.

Mmmmmmm...... Four pies........ *gargle*

strange_wraith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 May 2005, 9:58 pm

Anne Boleyn had six fingers on one hand (or two I can't remember). No wonder Henry VIII started a religious revolution to marry her.

"It's all right Ma, I'm only sighing"

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2005, 4:22 pm

TheWhale wrote:
BlackLiger wrote:
If Algeria introduced a resolution to the UN stating that the World was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass with 164 to 13 and 26 abstentions.

hehehe that is funny. Who in Algeria wants to put pressure on their government to test that :P

Jerry Newport

:lol: I find that truly hilarious, they didn't even pick the nearest integer. People have known the value of Pi to better than two digits for 5'000 years.

Cato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2005, 11:47 pm

One that I point out every time I hear April 15th called the "Ides of April" (because of the tax deadline) is that the Ides of April is the 13th.

Yep, sure wins me a lot of interested listeners. :roll:

One more that I have brought up is that on the JEOPARDY tv show, there is a light on stage that viewers at home cannot see. During the show, there is one guy whose only job it is to turn the light on a fraction of a second after Alex Trebek reads the question/answer. Only then can contestants buzz in. Buzzing in before the light locks the player out.

What a job.

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2005, 11:36 am

Um.. I don't know anything too odd.

In 1990 the NHL's Edmonton Oilers won the stanley cup spear headed by Mark Messier. Then in 1994, the New York Rangers won the cup mostly due to the fact that they bought up most of the Oilers star players.

The Car ferry "Abegweit" that served Prince Edward Island from 1947 to 1982 was the worlds largest ice breaking ship for almost 30 years. She is now restored and docked on the Chicago waterfront, used as a Yacht club convention centre and club house.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2005, 9:27 am

for years, fishermen would attempt to kill starfish by choping off their 5 tentecles. They did this until they found out that each tentactle would grow an entire starfish. . . .

Teddy Roseselvelt ate 7 to 11 eggs for breakfast everymorning.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2005, 4:54 pm

Quote:

I didn't know Indiana was part of the UN ;)

(Leave it up to America, that's all I have to say.)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

ISavant
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 May 2005, 1:16 am

Quarks come in six delicious flavours. Up, down, top, bottom, strange and charmed.

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2005, 6:15 am

They also never travel in anything but threes...

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2005, 4:21 pm

Not quite true, they also travel in pairs and they may exist in larger groups, but that hasn't been observed.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2005, 11:55 pm

Rufus: You masturbate more than anyone else on the planet.
Jay: Tell us something we don't know.
Rufus: When you're doing it you're thinking about guys.

mec011
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jun 2005, 11:37 pm

As you approach a stoplight, there can exist a zone, where if the light turns yellow, you can neither continue through the intersection before the light turns red, nor "safely" come to a stop...

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2005, 3:21 pm

motherofhim wrote:
Lefty's can type faster than right handed people because manual typewriters would get the keys stuck for right handed people, so lefties have a built in advantage, for once!! !

Leftys also have a built in advantage in bowling because the way they turn their hand when throwing a hook ball is like the way they turn there hand when opening a door whereas for right handers its opposite, or something like that. (which is part of the reason why theres alot of good lefty bowlers, like my stupid bro grrr 5 years younger and an avg 50-60 pins higher grrrr.)
Ender

WooYayHooplah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2005, 11:33 am

mec011 wrote:
As you approach a stoplight, there can exist a zone, where if the light turns yellow, you can neither continue through the intersection before the light turns red, nor "safely" come to a stop...

This is so true - but if you even try to explain it to the police they would put points on your license...

rockyrocky
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jun 2005, 9:24 pm

Phosphorous was discovered when some scientist kept his urine for a few days and then boiled it. Yum.

Alan Turing was a homosexual and committed suicide with (if I remember right) a poison apple.