What is the weirdest fact that you know?

Page 4 of 9 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Apr 2005, 12:38 pm

Jetson wrote:
Something cute for the number freaks among us, courtesy of Slashdot:
Tomorrow at 1:58:31 in the morning (UTC) will mark 1111111111 seconds since the Unix epoch (midnight, Jan 1st, 1970).

Just got to this thread and saw this....

1111111111 = 41 times 271 times 11 times 9091

BTW, my favorite number fact has to do with the last two digits of my birthyear, 1948...

Take any prime number that is bigger than 3, like 5,7, 11, 13 etc.

If you take that number to the fourth power and divide by 48,

The remainder is ALWAYS one.

Jerry Newport

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2005, 12:54 pm

I am the weirdest fact that I know. :)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

zuma181
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 May 2005, 10:31 pm

Lola Montez wanted to overthrow the government in California and rename it Lolaland.

It may not be the weirdest fact--but it's my favorite.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2005, 1:30 am

Good one Sophist!

Hey! a weird fact that I know is that there is this one woman named Vesna Vulovic who fell from an exploded DC-9 jetliner at 33,000 ft. (10,000km)........and lived! I think it's more of a miracle than a weird fact. I got this fact from the 'Rippley's Believe It Or Not!' book.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

platypus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 May 2005, 9:40 am

Buckminster Fuller and his wife died within 36 hours of each other.

Wisguy
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2005, 9:54 am

coffeenogrumpy wrote:
germany's are cool. they have bendy buses!! and they don't smell

Chicago has 'bendy busses', too :-)

Now, if more USA metros besides Boston (Cambridge), Philadelphia, Seattle, San Francisco and Dayton, OH would have those kewl 'trackless' electric trolley busses, our other cities would smell so much better, too.

Mike

Wisguy
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2005, 10:01 am

Epimonandas wrote:
A Hollywood studio made and produced a movie about Titanic about 6 months after the disaster and it featured at least one of the actual survivors.

Even, nearly a hundred years ago, they made movies about actual events shortly after them.

I know that the more recent movie Titanic has a glaring historical inaccuracy in it. One of the charicters (and I apologze for not knowing which one) was pining about 'Lake Wissota' in Wisconsin. He could not have, as the dam that created Lake Wissota was not completed until 1917, 5 years after the disaster.

Mike

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 May 2005, 12:37 pm

aspiegirl2 wrote:
Good one Sophist!

Hey! a weird fact that I know is that there is this one woman named Vesna Vulovic who fell from an exploded DC-9 jetliner at 33,000 ft. (10,000km)........and lived! I think it's more of a miracle than a weird fact. I got this fact from the 'Rippley's Believe It Or Not!' book.

It must have been 10,000 meters, not kilometers :) I think she landed on snow or something soft.

Jerry Newport

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2005, 8:16 pm

Ooh, hey! Has anyone done the story of Chang and Eng?? (If someone already has, don't tell me but let me live a little longer in my dillusional world until I take time to read ALL the posts).

Chang and Eng were Siamese twins who were the basis for the term "Siamese Twins' since they were conjoined and were from Siam.

Well, anyways. One night as they lay in bed, in the latter of their years, Eng (I think... or was it Chang?) passed away because of a cerrebral hemorage or something of the like. However, Chang (or was it Eng?) lay there still alive, soon realizing his brother, and thusly part of his body, was now dead. He knew that it was inevitable that he would soon die as well. In the morning, they were both found, dead. Not surprisingly, it was found that Eng died of natural causes; and Chang had died of fright.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2005, 3:57 pm

The Playland amusement park in Rye, New York is the only amusement park owned by the US government. :!: 8O

motherofhim
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 May 2005, 12:03 pm

Only one symptom of illness, called Kaiser-Fleisher rings (copper around the retina); makes a complete diagnosis in and of itself. To my knowledge it is the only symptom that has no differential diagnosis.

ie., Wilson's disease.

ManureMental
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 May 2005, 12:58 pm

On a computer, using passages of text that require the fingers to travel 12 miles while using a Qwerty keyboard, will only require your fingers to travel approx 1 mile using a Dvorak keyboard for the same amount of text.

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2005, 1:36 pm

If Algeria introduced a resolution to the UN stating that the World was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass with 164 to 13 and 26 abstentions.

hehehe that is funny. Who in Algeria wants to put pressure on their government to test that :P

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2005, 2:34 pm

Georgie Bushy's evil sister! :wink:

motherofhim
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 May 2005, 2:57 pm

ManureMental wrote:
On a computer, using passages of text that require the fingers to travel 12 miles while using a Qwerty keyboard, will only require your fingers to travel approx 1 mile using a Dvorak keyboard for the same amount of text.

Lefty's can type faster than right handed people because manual typewriters would get the keys stuck for right handed people, so lefties have a built in advantage, for once!! !

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2005, 3:05 pm

Lets see a lefty beat me :P