What is the weirdest fact that you know?

Page 7 of 9 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2005, 10:29 am

duncvis wrote:
Serissa wrote:
Only one in 720 married couples has a taller male than female in America today.

Are you sure about that one? 8O

DAMN IT! I transposed the words! GAAAGH!

PaulB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jul 2005, 1:28 pm

About quarks:

The six flavors are up, down, strange, charm, top, bottom. Originally top and bottom were called "truth" and "beauty". I guess they didn't want too many unusual, nonsensical names for quarks after strange and charm (i.e. which is the positive quark and which is the negative quark). Leptons, which are things like electrons and neutrinos, are thought to be point particles similar to quarks, and (it is hoped) they don't separate into anything more.

-- edit --
I always associated leptons with rabbits, because of the whole "lepus" thing. I remembered the difference between leptons and hadrons by thinking of leptons as being small and fast like rabbits, and hadrons just being huge, lumbering particles.

-- end edit --

About strange deaths:

Read about Rasputin. They did a lot to him before he could actually expire. Recently some museum actually put out for display Rasputin's 13-inch phallus (why they saved it, I don't know). Quite a sight.

PaulB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jul 2005, 1:35 pm

Another one, just had to share:

According to the 1812 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue, one American woman was so prudish that she refused to call a jackass a jackass because both jack and ass seemed, well, vulgar to her. Her term for a jackass is listed as "johnny bum".

ManureMental
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Aug 2005, 3:34 pm

ManureMental wrote:
On a computer, using passages of text that require the fingers to travel 12 miles while using a Qwerty keyboard, will only require your fingers to travel approx 1 mile using a Dvorak keyboard for the same amount of text.

NBEAP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2005, 5:32 pm

cow farts damage the ozon layer
so their oners give them special medication so they don't fart as much
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :D :D :D

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 1:37 am

Watching too much t.v. deteriorates the brain since some of the brain cells remain prone for extended periods of time; plus, too much iron deteriorates the brain because there's too much of a chemical imbalance. Watching too much t.v. makes one more vulnerable to brain diseases and disorders such as Alzheimer's Disease. On the other hand, playing a musical instrument, listening to classical music (which is the best for growth), and performing physical excercise makes the brain stronger in some places. Also, zinc consumption actually makes the brain grow a little bit (according to a study that I heard on the news).

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

NBEAP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2005, 5:13 am

its prob the same to being on the computer!
8O

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 3:33 pm

NBEAP wrote:
its prob the same to being on the computer!
8O

LOL! Yeah, you're probably right about that one.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Nicolai
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2005, 12:25 pm

aspiegirl2 wrote:
What is the weirdest fact that you know?

My existance.

Aeryn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Aug 2005, 10:32 pm

Rats cannot vomit.

They're also color-blind, though I don't think the two things are related :) .

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2005, 7:22 am

Rats can't burp either so it isn't a good idea to let them have fizzy soft-drinks.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

mellow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2005, 12:52 pm

Cows have 8 stomachs!! !
:D

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2005, 4:26 pm

mellow wrote:
Cows have 8 stomachs!! !
:D

I thought they only had three... hmmm.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 2:19 am

That would be difficult having 8 stomachs (Sophist, I think that cows really do have 8 stomachs instead of 3). Cows would have to go to the bathroom a heck of a lot more than us humans that have only one stomach. :lol:

Oh yeah, a weird fact:

The icecream cone was first seen at the 1900 world fair (or one in the early 1900's), and they came to be because an icecream shop owner didn't have enough dishes, so he hired a waffle maker to twist waffles into icecream cones. Walla, it's a hit!

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 10:17 pm

Intestines are really really long. How do they fit?

Last edited by ilikedragons on 05 Sep 2005, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 1:25 am

ilikedragons wrote:
Intestines are really really long. How do they fit? :?

They probably fit because of the way they are 'folded' into the body. It's like that one analogy with the backpack and the rope: if someone just bunches up a 30ft rope into a backpack, it won't fit. But, if someone carefully coils it, it will fit. I think that's the way that intestines fit into bodies.