Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jamgrrl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2013, 4:43 pm

Hello!

My step-daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers last year, and in that time I've slowly come to realize I have it as well. Which really helps me parent her and give her coping mechanisms I had to learn through trial and error.

I was diagnosed with ADHD 13 years ago but Aspergers seems to fit much better. I scored 125/200 Aspie and 86/200 NT on the aspie quiz. I am now navigating the complicated process to get an official diagnosis. I'm really good at faking a lot of things, so I never suspected I might have it, and neither did anyone else. Also the definitions they used 5-10 years ago had nothing to do with me. (I have plenty of empathy, thanks, it's just locked inside me, and my imagination is more than just fine - I'm a writer.) I know a few people who are "out" as aspie, and other than being geeks like the rest of my friends, they didn't seem particularly like me.

The Intense World Theory interview/article here was the first description of Aspergers I ever really identified with. When I compare internal notes with other aspies (like my daughter, a friend of mine, and articles I've read online), it all starts to make sense. I've started reading "Pretending to be Normal" and I may as well have written it myself.

This looks like a good forum and I'm looking forward to hanging out with you guys.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 7:45 pm

Welcome :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 9:40 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

noxnocturne
Veteran