Page 14 of 25 [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 25  Next

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 12:20 am

I was offended the first time as well, but I view it as the phrase "Coon-ass"... when used by us, for us, it is not a slur.

MrMeaty
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Nov 2013, 12:41 am

I think it started because when you tell people you have "Ass-Burgers" they think it's a joke.

I told a co-worker and he started to do research...came back and said "oh, it's spelled "Asperger's", not "AssBurgers"!

I refer to my son as an Aspie, but I tell people I have Asperger's.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 1:36 am

Yeah... I punched my best friend the first time he called me an assburger... That doesn't happen any more...we've been friends for 25 years...

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Nov 2013, 8:38 am

I think I found a wording that may give the wrong sighting?

http://wayoutonthecorner.blogspot.se/20 ... rt-11.html

"playmate for your Aspie if your hypersexual is wearing you out."

Perhaps should be:

"playmate for your Aspie if their hypersexual is wearing you out."

Otherwise it would be as if ones own hypersexuality is wearing oneself out and therefore one should provide a a playmate to ones partner. Seems like a logical error ;)

http://wayoutonthecorner.blogspot.se/20 ... rt-13.html

"Hans Asperver" -> "Hans Asperger"

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 1:26 pm

I appreciate the feedback... however, the wording was chosen carefully... Hypersexual, in that situation, is a noun

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 11:51 am

SanguineNihilist wrote:
I was first approached with the term Aspie very recently with no prior exposure to or knowledge of the term, and was first given the impression that it was some kind of slur for us. I am now adapting to the word slowly, with less of a derogatory expectation of its meaning, but it's going to be a little bit of a process to rewire it in my mind. To me, it just seems like a label. I'll try to think of it as an abbreviation and try to forget the misinterpreted introduction as a fault on my part, and work to negate the initial bad response and reception of it.

I heard it for the first time about a year and a half ago, I've always found it to be derogatory because it sounds too "kiddy", and the pronounciation of the word makes the syndrome sound like something to be seen as "normal", "childlike" and "cute". I'm not a child, I'm not to be pittied by other people because of a perception created out of disregard for how serious the syndrome is, I don't like to be belittled by other people, and I don't like to be told that I don't have issues from people who wouldn't know my issues if it smacked them upside the head, thus I find it very offensive to be called "aspie".
While most probably don't mean to imply any of that, the effect that the word has is the real issue and people should respect that certain words are unacceptable to me, regardless of how they percieve the word. Having said that, I'm less likely to yell at someone for saying it because I know that most people have false beliefs about the whole spectrum, not just AS. I try, instead, to correct them and educate them.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 7:32 pm

>>>Part 52<<< - The Pitfalls of Excessive Self Esteem

ridethespectrum
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Nov 2013, 5:46 pm

I think I may be hella late on both the "new...?" suggestion and the trend itself but I wonder if anyone has yet to do a "Sh*t Aspies Say". That'd be something I would watch lol but I may be months late as I have behind on the #trending and all the other stuff the cool kids around the world are into. #YOLO bro :roll:

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 7:55 pm

ridethespectrum wrote:
I think I may be hella late on both the "new...?" suggestion and the trend itself but I wonder if anyone has yet to do a "Sh*t Aspies Say". That'd be something I would watch lol but I may be months late as I have behind on the #trending and all the other stuff the cool kids around the world are into. #YOLO bro :roll:

A good suggestion (minus the hashtags)... i will give it some thought

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

17 Nov 2013, 7:49 am

When it comes to stuff like this, people around me have the psychoanalysis of a rock. My mom still thinks I'm an nt, and I'm 42. She told me I have never been diagnosed with it, so I don't have it. She would never take me anywhere to have me diagnosed for anything when I was young. Haha??? Just another brain game because she didn't want anything to be wrong. Dad believes shrinks are wrong all the time. He is a lot like me and might be right. What is it with everyone thinking if you are autistic you have a bunch of cronic problems, and you are going to be a menace for the rest of your life???? What about all of the people like us that revolutionized the world, and made the majority of what it is today???? What about isac newton... what about abraham lincoln... my hero nicola tesla... benjamin franklin... for crying out loud, people like us are on a 5, and a 100 dollar bill. One of them was never even a president. What about all the other ones who are, and were, we never knew about, because they are smart enough to go under the radar??? Just saying...

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2013, 7:59 am

Ooh I forgot... henry ford... you know... the guy who figured out how to make a cheap car, and industrialize the world with assembly lines and stuff. From an idea he made in his garage.

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Nov 2013, 10:21 am

Building cars in moms garage must be a nobody.. or ehmm waiiiit "oops".
Google.. bunch of disks stuffed together with LEGO in garage, what were they thinking?

Something to think about next time someone values something on irrelevant factors. :P

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2013, 1:26 pm

yournamehere wrote:
When it comes to stuff like this, people around me have the psychoanalysis of a rock. My mom still thinks I'm an nt, and I'm 42. She told me I have never been diagnosed with it, so I don't have it. She would never take me anywhere to have me diagnosed for anything when I was young. Haha??? Just another brain game because she didn't want anything to be wrong. Dad believes shrinks are wrong all the time. He is a lot like me and might be right. What is it with everyone thinking if you are autistic you have a bunch of cronic problems, and you are going to be a menace for the rest of your life???? What about all of the people like us that revolutionized the world, and made the majority of what it is today???? What about isac newton... what about abraham lincoln... my hero nicola tesla... benjamin franklin... for crying out loud, people like us are on a 5, and a 100 dollar bill. One of them was never even a president. What about all the other ones who are, and were, we never knew about, because they are smart enough to go under the radar??? Just saying...

your hero's name was Nikola Tesla. With a k.
He had major OCD issues, channeled all his energy into his work, didn't have personal relationships and died of poverty and ill health all alone.

You want to be like Newton, or Darwin, they knew how to play the system and still managed to be famous and change the world.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2013, 2:22 pm

Oops. O.k.. I guess any one of those would be just fine... I just left a job. The owmer had ocd. He was an anxiety pain. Nikola is still my hero :lol:

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2013, 2:49 pm

yournamehere wrote:
Oops. O.k.. I guess any one of those would be just fine... I just left a job. The owmer had ocd. He was an anxiety pain. Nikola is still my hero :lol:

Still one of the best INTJs. Just sad that he was way too ahead for his time, when everybody thought he was mad, he wanted a utopia for everyone.

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Nov 2013, 2:50 pm

Teslas only mistake was to give away his patent rights for free. He's one of a kind. But still media is filled with people that doesn't bring humanity forward.

But there's now a chance to learn from history.