Page 25 of 27 [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

mjay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jul 2014
Age: 105
Gender: Female
Posts: 26

24 Nov 2014, 9:05 am

I followed the link on WP, then re followed to second location, maybe check that? Anyhow, I stopped at the first paragraph under edit.
Anyone who writes "we" loses. It is not helpful, in fact it is problematic. You have chosen yourself as a self appointed spokesperson, why? I think not. I cannot support your decision to use the term. Please do not speak for me.



Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,257
Location: New Orleans, LA

26 Nov 2014, 10:59 am

I am sorry you feel that way. HOWEVER, It was not, is not and will never be a competition... therefore I cannot win or lose.

If you stopped reading because of the word "we", then it is obvious the series was not meant for you. If you had continued reading the series, you would see that I take great pains to make it clear that I do not speak "for" anyone and that I only have my experiences, the experiences of other autists I have discussed with, psychiatric professionals and current research to work with.

On the other hand, I will state that I have received hundreds of emails from autistic spectrum individuals, friends of autistic spectrum individuals and family members of same expressing that my words have been spot on.

I am sorry you take offense to the word we... but it's not going to change... the point in writing the series was to help NTs understand the issues, thought patterns and underlying mechanisms of autistic spectrum disorders. The series achieves that.

Honestly, if someone is offended by a single, innocuous, common word... I don't want them reading it anyway.


_________________
Yeah. I'm done. Don't bother messaging and expecting a response - i've left WP permanently.


mjay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jul 2014
Age: 105
Gender: Female
Posts: 26

27 Nov 2014, 3:58 am

Feralucce wrote:
I am sorry you feel that way. HOWEVER, It was not, is not and will never be a competition... therefore I cannot win or lose.

If you stopped reading because of the word "we", then it is obvious the series was not meant for you. If you had continued reading the series, you would see that I take great pains to make it clear that I do not speak "for" anyone and that I only have my experiences, the experiences of other autists I have discussed with, psychiatric professionals and current research to work with.

On the other hand, I will state that I have received hundreds of emails from autistic spectrum individuals, friends of autistic spectrum individuals and family members of same expressing that my words have been spot on.

I am sorry you take offense to the word we... but it's not going to change... the point in writing the series was to help NTs understand the issues, thought patterns and underlying mechanisms of autistic spectrum disorders. The series achieves that.

Honestly, if someone is offended by a single, innocuous, common word... I don't want them reading it anyway.

You're not sorry I feel that way, I sense more anger from you that I feel that way. CAPS! You should care that I don't want to read your stuff, sounds like it's so valuable.

Most words are innocuous and single, that can change when you place them into a sentence.

I truly hope that those seeking information realise that not everyone shares your view or your experiences. It is not a positive for me to be included. Look, you can't define ASD's for all of us, why not say that? Don't neglect the possibility that my experience is different to yours. By defining all with ASD's in agreeance with you by choosing the term we, you are effectively silencing the voices of millions.
I didn't go to your site to stop reading in the first paragraph, but when you added the edit to warn people of the usage of the term "we". I realised that all my thoughts had been censored from there on, because apparently, when you use the word "we", you are speaking for the whole ASD population. AMAZING!!
I'm sorry you cannot see that.



Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,257
Location: New Orleans, LA

27 Nov 2014, 11:50 am

mjay wrote:
You're not sorry I feel that way, I sense more anger from you that I feel that way. CAPS! You should care that I don't want to read your stuff, sounds like it's so valuable.

Most words are innocuous and single, that can change when you place them into a sentence.

I truly hope that those seeking information realise that not everyone shares your view or your experiences. It is not a positive for me to be included. Look, you can't define ASD's for all of us, why not say that? Don't neglect the possibility that my experience is different to yours. By defining all with ASD's in agreeance with you by choosing the term we, you are effectively silencing the voices of millions.
I didn't go to your site to stop reading in the first paragraph, but when you added the edit to warn people of the usage of the term "we". I realised that all my thoughts had been censored from there on, because apparently, when you use the word "we", you are speaking for the whole ASD population. AMAZING!!
I'm sorry you cannot see that.

I will run this down for you.

1) You are telling me how I feel and you are wrong. I AM sorry you feel that way. I am not angry... Not in the slightest. It is possible for one to disagree with you firmly without there being any negative emotional connotations. I will admit, your second message did annoy me. The sarcasm, hyperbole, and aggressiveness of it would make anyone annoying. CAPS was for emphasis because it's a pain in the ass to use the formatting here. But I did not respond then, or now, with any anger...

2) I should care that you read or don't read... Why? I write for myself. I write to get my thoughts and experiences out. If they help people (and I have proof that they do), then I am doing well... But I don't write for anyone but myself. These blog entries have helped me put my feelings into words and helped me understand it.

3) I am going to quote my initial response to you - "If you stopped reading because of the word "we", then it is obvious the series was not meant for you. If you had continued reading the series, you would see that I take great pains to make it clear that I do not speak "for" anyone and that I only have my experiences, the experiences of other autists I have discussed with, psychiatric professionals and current research to work with."

4) You accuse me of silencing the voices of millions. Your hyperbole, while strident, is misplaced. To silence the voices of millions, I would have to censor, interfere with or otherwise block them. I do not.

5) If you feel I am speaking for you, I am sorry. I have stated here, and in the blog that is not the case. If you don't like what I have written, then go write your own. No one is stopping you.

6) Again, I have received MANY emails thanking me for the site and the entries. Many autists have stated that they have used my blog series to help their NT family and friends understand.

7) The ONLY feedback you have presented me with is the use of the word "we". I do not claim to speak for everyone, or even most. I make it clear in the blog that I am not. I paint with a broad brush... Because I am covering broad topics. There are exceptions, differences, and a spectrum... but we helps the NTs keep everything straight when reading. Ironically enough, the word was chosen AFTER a group of Autistic readers (103) read the first 6 in the series. THEY suggested the word we, because I sounded arrogant, isolationist and unfriendly.

8 ) I can't please everyone. My novel have a whole bunch of 5 star reviews, and a couple 1 star. This is another case of that.

9) the fact that you feel the need to be insulting is telling.

Lastly, it is insanely arrogant to insist that I change something because YOU disagree. Especially since you are telling me that I am speaking for all Autists when my blog states clearly otherwise. If anyone, EVER, assumed that a blog, book or document speaks for an entire portion of their population... Well, that reflects on them more than it does my writing. Since I do not claim directly, in my series, that I speak for all, and in fact, state stridently that I do not... it is pretty clear.

I wish you well, but I am not changing the word I use - either in the blog, or in print (which it is headed for). You are welcome not to read it. But you are not welcome to badger me because you perceive that I am speaking for a section of our population when the source material states otherwise.

I truly wish you well, but I am not interested in discussing further.


_________________
Yeah. I'm done. Don't bother messaging and expecting a response - i've left WP permanently.


Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980

12 Dec 2014, 9:58 pm

Been a while since I posted on here, but I just want to say that you're still doing an amazing job with the series, I've been keeping up on it as much as I can (doing some projects that take up a bit of time, myself) and still enjoy reading new articles.

Keep up the great work!


_________________
Writer. Author.


SuperPhosphate
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2010
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 1
Location: this planet earth

22 Feb 2015, 1:26 pm

Lol, I love the name- made me thought of Gizmo- feed and look after it right and it wont turn into a gremlin!!



Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980

22 Feb 2015, 4:48 pm

SuperPhosphate wrote:
Lol, I love the name- made me thought of Gizmo- feed and look after it right and it wont turn into a gremlin!!

Wow...


_________________
Writer. Author.


Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,257
Location: New Orleans, LA

25 Feb 2015, 5:15 am

Jaden wrote:
SuperPhosphate wrote:
Lol, I love the name- made me thought of Gizmo- feed and look after it right and it wont turn into a gremlin!!

Wow...

I dunno... that statement...kinda works... when you think about melt downs and the like... an Autist can be thought to be a bit like a gremlin...


_________________
Yeah. I'm done. Don't bother messaging and expecting a response - i've left WP permanently.


Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980

25 Feb 2015, 5:39 pm

Feralucce wrote:
Jaden wrote:
SuperPhosphate wrote:
Lol, I love the name- made me thought of Gizmo- feed and look after it right and it wont turn into a gremlin!!

Wow...

I dunno... that statement...kinda works... when you think about melt downs and the like... an Autist can be thought to be a bit like a gremlin...

Lol maybe, it just didn't seem all that connected to me at the time but from that perspective I guess it doesn't kind of make sense.


_________________
Writer. Author.


Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,257
Location: New Orleans, LA

26 Feb 2015, 10:47 pm

Jaden wrote:
Lol maybe, it just didn't seem all that connected to me at the time but from that perspective I guess it doesn't kind of make sense.

Yeah... Feed me at the wrong time and I turn into a monster...


_________________
Yeah. I'm done. Don't bother messaging and expecting a response - i've left WP permanently.


KindleHeart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2014
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 44
Location: Denver, CO

03 Jun 2015, 8:18 pm

Awesome, the thread title made me laugh. I read a few of your posts. They are well written and interesting. In the sensory issues post you talked about auditory, visual, scent, touch, taste but not spatial. I see spatial issues as related to touch issues and the personal bubble. When in a crowd someone can violate your personal bubble (spatial) and also bump into to you (touch).

As for the blog, when did you start it? What inspired you to do it? How did you get followers? Any advice on running a blog?


_________________
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. ~ Edmund Burke


Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,257
Location: New Orleans, LA

12 Jun 2015, 4:17 am

KindleHeart wrote:
Awesome, the thread title made me laugh. I read a few of your posts. They are well written and interesting. In the sensory issues post you talked about auditory, visual, scent, touch, taste but not spatial. I see spatial issues as related to touch issues and the personal bubble. When in a crowd someone can violate your personal bubble (spatial) and also bump into to you (touch).

As for the blog, when did you start it? What inspired you to do it? How did you get followers? Any advice on running a blog?


I can only respond with this - Since I do not have a frame of reference for it (my spatial awareness is "eerie" according to the NTs in my life)... Also, I do discuss personal space in a couple if instances, but I will consider going more in depth... HOWEVER, I am not sure it fits into the concept of the articles as I am trying to take a generalist approach and in most cases, I hear of aspies having no respect for personal space... when I get back to it (I am editing my series right now), I will do some research into that...

It's been about three years... I don't have followers that I know of... and my advice is to research, make sure you never make an incorrect statement, and WRITE, WRITE, WRITE


_________________
Yeah. I'm done. Don't bother messaging and expecting a response - i've left WP permanently.


mik9
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 2 Dec 2015
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 81

27 Dec 2015, 11:09 pm

I have only read few parts and I already love your blog.

In part 15, you mentioned that you started your own company. Do you have a post about becoming self-employed as an aspie?



Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,257
Location: New Orleans, LA

09 Feb 2016, 9:05 pm

mik9 wrote:
I have only read few parts and I already love your blog.

In part 15, you mentioned that you started your own company. Do you have a post about becoming self-employed as an aspie?


I do not have a post on that. SO... I will consider it. I am not sure what I would write on that, but I will give it some thought.

I am also thinking about having some guest writers on the series.


_________________
Yeah. I'm done. Don't bother messaging and expecting a response - i've left WP permanently.


mik9
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 2 Dec 2015
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 81

11 Feb 2016, 5:48 pm

Thanks for replying.
Yes it's a huge subject. I was thinking more of the aspie side of it - the pros and cons of being self-employed on the spectrum.