Aspienutridoc here ... with a (partial) success story.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

aspienutridoc
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 May 2013, 9:45 pm

I'm an older aspie who's spent most of his life unassisted learning whatever I could to overcome my social challenges. Spirit has led me on a roundabout journey ... but seemed to always be there when I needed guidance.

I'm here to suggest, among other things, that the behavior and experience we now pathologize as Asperger's corresponds closely to behavior and experience typically associated with the shamanic role.

The first step is to accept that being exceptional and being socially isolated go hand in hand. And there's a very good reason for the situation in which we find ourselves.

In traditional tribal cultures, the role of the shaman is to mediate novelty. Traditional societies don't cope very well with new developments.

But that's our natural terrain. And it sets us apart.

If anyone's interested I can expand on this theme.

SaveTigers
Raven
Raven

11 May 2013, 9:53 pm

I'm really interested in this theory. I have also thought that we Aspies, in another time and place, would have been the holy men (and women)-- the shamans, as you said.
Go ahead and tell us more! :)
Amelia

SaveTigers
Raven
Raven

11 May 2013, 9:55 pm

I forgot to mention that I am also an older (age 50) undiagnosed Aspie who also never had any support or help and had to really go through an odyssey of experiences, introspection and spiritual studies and practices in order to come to where I am now-- somewhat functional in my small sphere! :lol:
Amelia

aspienutridoc
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 May 2013, 10:09 pm

Thanks for being interested. I'll have more to say on this tomorrow ... at the moment I have a (yes!) social obligations ... x>)

more soon,

UnseenSkye
Raven
Raven

11 May 2013, 10:20 pm

I, too am an older Aspie and am also interested in what you have found, although I agree that the shamanic experience is one which has made sense to me for much of my life and also corresponds to my birth (with less than three minutes to live)... and seizures and visions, which are life long and continue. I see patterns and recognize outcomes far in advance. People will call this "prophecy". I call this "really good pattern recognition."

Cadagan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 May 2013, 7:30 am

I would love to hear more about this.

aspienutridoc
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 May 2013, 9:45 am

Thank you all for your interest. Wow.

I'm going to move this discussion to the General Autism Discussion section since it has more to do with simply who I am ... hope to see you over there.

And hope to get to know all of you a bit better ...