Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

darborough
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jan 2007, 5:37 pm

Hi, I am Deb, I'm 44 years old and have been diagnosed for about 3 years or so, although was 'under investigation' for longer. lol Anyway, I am ok with it all except that since I have been on medication to stop me being so 'erratic' my aspergerness has become more evident. I am unemotional when emotion is required of me but now i no longer play along to fit in. This doesn't bother me but seems to be a problem for my very patient long suffering husband. I find life hard in these circumstances as I don't see why I should have to be something I am not. Who made the rules anyway? i try to fit into society and follow all it's rules but some of them truly suck. If i want to sit in front of the computer and play the same game over and over or watch Star Trek Voyager from series one to the end 4 times in a row that should be my choice. But no, we have to interact and go and do things that others want. Yargh!

Anyway off to work, smile, be polite and wonder what planet the customers are from, now there are aliens!

Deb

alex
Developer
Developer

18 Jan 2007, 5:41 pm

Welcome Deb. A lot of the rules do suck. Sometimes I think we'd enjoy "socializing" more if we were better at doing so. It becomes a "chore" more often which makes us grow sick of society in general for not being understanding of us. Hopefully you'll get some advice here that will allow you to be better at the required socializing which might cause you to hate it less.

I know that the more I've learned about the underlying way things work in this way too complicated society, the more I understand the necessity and power of communicating with others in the way we're so often forced to do. Since learning this, i've grown to like it just a bit more.

Anyway, welcome 8)

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2007, 5:48 pm

Welcome to WP ! !! Yay, more "older" ASpies ! !! (Most on this board are, ahem, of the younger generation. As for doing what you like, the Missus and I have reached a compromise. We got an inexpensive DVD player that's compact. That way I can watch Pink Floyd concert footage without disturbing her. As for going out, does your hubby enjoy socializing a lot ???

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2007, 6:34 pm

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2007, 6:38 pm

Hi Deb, I'm Mark. Welcome to the Wrong Planet. I, too, am over 40.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2007, 5:45 am

Hia Deb,

I can identify with a lot of what you say (Starr glued to computer, hubby jangling car keys impatiently :lol: )

I'm in my 40's too. Welcome aboard :)

darborough
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jan 2007, 5:45 am

Thanks everyone for posting. No, wouldn't say my husband is a social person, he wants us to do things together. Sight seeing and walking around town....things like that. I don't like sight seeing, it's boring and he gets frustrated because I don't ooh and ahh at the sights. The time we do spend walking along the water front I wonder what I am meant to talk about, when I don't make conversation he gets this idea that I am hard to please?!?!? What is that?
I find not having my own space terribly draining as I feel I have to perform to make others comfortable, well ok, not others, him. My little rituals are what make me happy, doing the same thing at the same time every day etc. Sometimes I think I would be happier on my own, except I don't know if would manage the practicalities of life.
It's all to .......busy.
Anyway, survived another day at work. I got a promotion 2 weeks ago from sales assistant to Area Merchandising Co Ordinator.....go the ASpie! It's all been very stressful as I am the only woman in an all young male area....yep....computer sales. they are good guys but don't know the meaning of the words 'organised' or 'time management'. They are also not ritualistic and find me 'funny'. One of them, Matt, is very supportive and is my mentor and the line manager, Steve, is great. Actually I would have to say that the managers are pretty good about it all, lol, especially my long winded explanations of things!
Thats it for now, have to go and watch Grays Anatomy...again.........i like Cristina Yang...she is so....ASpie.

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2007, 5:50 am

Welcome. I'm RedMage, one of the younger members.