Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

osmosasaurus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jul 2013, 5:45 am

Very very new to the idea of being Aspie, or at least diagnosed.

Went years not attending school, having few friends, issues in general. I used to take full on tantrum(meltdowns) near weekly and was pushed through the system. They sent me for therapy, one woman wanted to put me in a hospital, one guy was a waste of breath the third diagnosed me with G.A.D. and said I just needed to grow up. Well here I am, almost dropped out of High School, ended up going back, working a crummy job that's below my intellect and ability, and just in general unhappy.

I went to a doctor of my own volition, hoping for someone to talk to, saw her for three years before visiting a friend in CA, who is diagnosed with Aspergers, and I felt .. well comfortable with her in ways nobody else could seem to replicate. Ended up researching, looking around and asking her questions. Eventually came to my doctor and asked outright, got my diagnosis, I'm 4 weeks in and while I haven't made much progress I'm just happy to finally understand why things are as they are.

The sensory overload, the seeming disconnects with people, the want to make friends but refusal to hang out much of the time, my rigid planning and any small changes in my day or life driving me insane, it all just makes more sense and now rather than being angry at myself for feeling these ways, I can smile about it and say, "there's nothing wrong with me." So long story short, my name is Rob and I'm an aspie! I'm proud of it, and frustrated with it all at once and that's okay! Hello everybody!

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2013, 9:29 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet!

Congratulations on gaining insight into yourself; may your journey through this website and through this community bring you healing, comfort, and peace. :)

mamaBFBW
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jul 2013, 12:06 pm

hello

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2013, 12:13 pm

Nice to meet you! Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2013, 1:11 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! I think you find a lot of helpful advice and people who get you here!

Proxy_Trump
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jul 2013, 1:16 pm

Welcome.

Verinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jul 2013, 1:29 pm

Hello and welcome :D

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2013, 4:53 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

osmund
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jul 2013, 6:20 pm

I havn't got a formal diagnosis, but online tests invariably show a positive result and some research hasn't half made me say "that's me" over and again, its like a weight being lifted off my shoulders. Well Ive got better clues now for the future and can understand why I do/cant do certain stuff and can use it positively,
Ive been lucky in having some excellent long term friends (some who may also have Asperger some who definitely don't) who I see regular so the social side has fortunately not been to bad (most my friends don't fit the average jo type however).
School was a nightmare but I could always out-talk folks and pushed on regardless so to speak

Hope you find having the diagnosis a real bonus and can use it constructively to improve the quality of your life, good luck

mark